PDA

View Full Version : How to remove stock heatsink/fan from 6600GT PCI-E?

JeRi
05-29-05, 06:51 PM
hi everyone, i'm new to the board...been reading a lot the past week or so about as much as i can, and since i just successfully built my first PC, I decided to give a try at replacing the stock heatsink and fan from my XFX 6600GT PCI-E to see if I can get my temperatures lower (they're not terrible now, about 48-50C idle, and mid 60's under load). So I went ahead and bought myself a Zalman VF700-Cu as it looked like a good choice for cooling.

So a few days ago, I popped open my case after having the PC run for a few hours, and took a look at my card. I unscrewed the screws from the fan, removing the plate that covers the fan and heatsink. But I can't seem to figure out how to actually remove the HSF from the board, as there's two black peg-type things that are keeping it on the board. I can push them in from the top, but it doesn't seem to do much. So my question is, what do those black peg things do, and how can I actually remove the heatsink and fan from my board?

Thanks to anyone that can help. I tried searching everywhere on the forum, and googled a million times, but found nothing on how to remove the heatsink and fan from my specific type of board. Hope my question is ok to ask here, if not, I apoligize as it's my first post.

Clay
05-29-05, 07:21 PM
Welcome! Those black things are retention pins. When you push them in, on the underside there is a "lip" on them that keeps them in place when you stop applying pressure. You need to squeeze the end together so that the diameter will then be small enough to fit back up into the housing of the HSF.

Also, here is some info that might help too...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51191#post618918

JeRi
05-29-05, 07:35 PM
ok, i will give that a try maybe tonight or tomorrow and see if i can get it work. thanks for the tip. will post back soon with the results

Clay
05-29-05, 07:37 PM
NP, good luck. :cool:

JeRi
05-29-05, 08:58 PM
ok, well i got it installed...hopefully applied enough thermal paste, and tightened everything pretty well...

already notice about a 6-7 degree drop in idle...at about 42-43C..is that normal with a new zalman installed? it's also on the low setting..will turn off the pc and see what the high setting does.

should i leave the pc off and the card out so the paste can cure or whatever the word is, for a little while?

Clay
05-29-05, 09:10 PM
Great. :) Temps depend greatly on your ambient room and ambient case temps so it's kind of hard to say without knowing those. That does sounds a bit high for the Zalman on low in a typical room temp setting. What thermal compound did you use? Arctic Silver 5 can take at least 20+ hours to cure (that's actual running time, not when the power is off).

JeRi
05-29-05, 09:14 PM
i just used the compound that came with the fan...i think i'm gonna shut the computer off for the night and let it set...should i take the card out of my case and let it sit right side up instead of hanging upside down while in the case? or do you think i should invest in some artic silver and replace the compound that came with the zalman?

Clay
05-29-05, 09:23 PM
i just used the compound that came with the fan...i think i'm gonna shut the computer off for the night and let it set...should i take the card out of my case and let it sit right side up instead of hanging upside down while in the case? or do you think i should invest in some artic silver and replace the compound that came with the zalman?
Generally speaking, you can expect Arctic Silver 5 to result in round 2C~4C temperature drops compared to other compounds. If you're new to applying thermal compound then I'd suggest you check out this page: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

JeRi
05-29-05, 09:56 PM
ok will take a look at that page and see what's up...i'll hopefully take a run over to compusa if it's open tomorrow to see if they have any arctic 5 and i'll try using that instead of the thermal compound given. even though the drop in temperature isn't huge, i think it's pretty good and should be sufficient for my needs (i've done a 10% OC to the card, so i wanted to make sure it didn't run too hot - 550/1100Mhz repectively). while i don't really do intensive gaming for hours on end, i do like to play games like half life 2 or splinter cell chaos theory here and there, and just wanted to see some improvement. my bedroom where the pc is normally hotter than the other rooms of the house as it is, so that could also be affecting the performance of the fan anyway. thanks for the tips so far, and i'll check back tomorrow if i'm lucky to find the AS5 in a store nearby (ordering online would take too long, don't feel like waiting 3-4 days for such a small thing)

Clay
05-29-05, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a good plan. You'd be surprised at the number of places that carry things like that now. I know CompUSA carries it but I've also seen it at some other places I didn't expect to.

JeRi
05-29-05, 10:45 PM
i decided to test out the computer at the higher fan speed with one of the graphic tests i found posted on here, and when i had used it before, my temps were going up towards the mid 60's, now they were running in the mid 50's even after letting it run for about 5-10 minutes....so i'm pretty impressed with the results so far as it has helped keep the card cool...i wanna see if it helps to keep the rest of my case a little cooler as well, so i gotta run the asus temp monitor and see if i notice any changes. and it looks like compusa should be open for tomorrow, so i'm hopin i can find that AS5 and see if it helps even more. i won't be messing anything up by removing the stock compound with AS5 after having it on there for less than a day, will i?

XP_GUN
05-29-05, 10:51 PM
no just make sure you get all the old compound off before you put the AS5 on. :)

Really nice cooler you put on wish I was still on a air cooling system.

Clay
05-29-05, 11:11 PM
no just make sure you get all the old compound off before you put the AS5 on. :)QFT. Use some rubbing alcohol (I like fingernail polish remover i.e. acetone but some think it is too strong/harsh).

JeRi
05-30-05, 02:32 PM
went to compusa and got some AS5 for about 11 bucks..was also able to buy a rounded floppy cable for 2.50 and rounded ide cable for 5.00, so i capitalized on those deals as well, cuz i had wanted to replace the flat cables for both my floppy drive and dvd burner, so i'm hopin these will help the airflow in my case a lil as well

JeRi
05-30-05, 06:02 PM
ok, i applied the arctic silver, so far no real noticeable difference...idling around 41-42C...i applied it about a half hour ago and everything seemed in place. guess i just have to see if there's any improvement after the AS5 has more time to cure tomorrow. is it better to leave the computer on or off after applying AS5?

Clay
05-30-05, 06:10 PM
Leave your PC running for about a day or so in order for the AS5 to cure...preferably running something like 3DMark, RTHDRIBL, etc in a continuous loop.

JeRi
05-30-05, 06:47 PM
ok will try to run RTHDRIBL every so often for the next day to help speed up the process. thanks for all your help Clay and XP_GUN

Clay
05-30-05, 06:49 PM
NP, good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

JeRi
05-30-05, 09:19 PM
well i ran it for about 30 minutes...temps didn't go above 55-56C...do you think that's pretty decent? i may try to play around with my case fans this week to see if i can get better airflow as i think that could be a reason for my high temps, along with the fact that my room is just plain hot

Clay
05-30-05, 09:27 PM
well i ran it for about 30 minutes...temps didn't go above 55-56C...do you think that's pretty decent? i may try to play around with my case fans this week to see if i can get better airflow as i think that could be a reason for my high temps, along with the fact that my room is just plain hot
Sounds pretty good to me but could be a bit better. My temps right now are as follows (don't forget that I'm water cooling):

Room Ambient: 24C
Case Ambient: 28C
CPU: 34C
GPU Ambient: 41C
GPU Core: 48C

You can check out my air cooling results with an NV 5 (room and case temps were cooler then though) http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/page4.shtml

JeRi
06-01-05, 06:05 AM
well i left my computer on for most of the day yesterday and all of last night...woke up this morning and my computer was idling between 37-38C, and i just ran rthdribl for about 15 minutes and only saw about a 10C max rise in temps, which is a very big increase for me from my stock temps. i think it's really starting to kick in now that it's had some time to cure. thanks for all your help clay and xp

Clay
06-01-05, 09:09 AM
Very good! Thanks for the update and glad to hear that you're groovin' now. :)

Strahd
06-01-05, 10:25 AM
Yes, as Clay told you earlier, it takes about 20-24 hours to cure properly with power applied.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see there was a second page before I replied.

Superfly
06-01-05, 10:54 AM
I used a table knife and lump hammer - worked a treat