PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen to SLI??????

lowdog
05-29-05, 11:20 PM
If nVidia don't start getting more compatability for games running in sli then it may be a very bad investment. If all the new impending game releases fail to work in sli then this will be REAL bad!....no sli in Riddick EFBB, Boiling Point, what will be next???....STALKER, PREY, FEAR, Quake4, Timeshift, Vivisector, King Kong. Oh man I'm starting to panik about wether the money I put into a sli rig will even be woth it.

Especially considering ATI's announcement that Crossfire will be compatible with ALL games, if this is the case then nVidias sli will be doomed. :thumbdwn:

Here is the ATI speal: Cut and paste from Rage3D

ATI claims that its Crossfire will be compatible with all games. All games should get performance increase while this should not be the case with Nvidia SLI platform.

Compared with two 6800 Ultra in SLI, ATI's Crossfire should end up about 10 per cent faster in 3Dmark05 benchmark, about 30 percent in Splinter cell C.T game and more than 60 percent in Need For Speed Underground 2 game. ATI is talking about results gathered from testing SLI and Crossfire platforms on 1600x1200 resolution, with 4X FSAA and 8X aniso, Athlon 64, 1GB DDR 400 memory, RD480 motherboard with 8.151 driver. ATI used two X850 XT Crossfire cards versus Asus SLI Deluxe board, 71.89 drivers, and two 6800 Ultra cards in SLI.

Compared with single X850 XT PE card, Crossfire cards performs 10 percent faster in 3Dmark03, more than 60 percent faster in old Return to Castle Wolfenstein and almost 100 percent faster in Splinter cell game. Interesting choice of games, I wonder are those the games that show the biggest difference. We don’t even doubt that.

Clay
05-29-05, 11:27 PM
Not to mention that it is slated to initially roll out only in ATI's mobos. With the rest to supposedly follow (with nForce chipset support to come last, if at all).

Absolution
05-29-05, 11:32 PM
thats just the inquirer speaking, next thing you will hear them say is that sli is 50% faster then crossfire just so that they get it right no matter what

jAkUp
05-30-05, 01:17 AM
STALKER- Not sure, almost 100% it will however since its backed by nvidia
PREY- not sure
FEAR- will support SLI. (rep told me)
Quake4- Doom3 engine, of course its gonna support sli
Timeshift- was run on a sli system at e3
Vivisector- not sure
King Kong- not sure

All future games will have better compatibility with SLI. Why do you think future games won't? Developers need to cater to them as well. Its amazing to me how you think future games won't support a very popular graphics card enhancement.

To be honost, I have only ran across maybe 3 games that don't support SLI... thats out of like 15 or 20. Thats pretty damn good considering when the games came out, there was no such thing as SLI.

Abba Zabba
05-30-05, 01:24 AM
Make that STALKER 100% jackup buddy ;)

jolle
05-30-05, 01:49 AM
PREY- not sure
Quake4- Doom3 engine, of course its gonna support sli
Both are D3 engine, so Prey should be ok then? along with Quake Wars (whenever that turns up)..

lowdog
05-30-05, 01:51 AM
Don't get me wrong I have a sli rig and it's great. I just hope that sli will be compatible with all the new games coming out, I know it's not with Boiling Point or Riddick EFBB.

Just worrying unnecessarily I suppose. :o

jAkUp
05-30-05, 01:55 AM
Both are D3 engine, so Prey should be ok then? along with Quake Wars (whenever that turns up)..

ah yes, I dunno what I'm thinking... lol yea prea is the D3 engine as well, so it should be great ;)

$n][pErMan
05-30-05, 01:56 AM
Long live AGP! :D

Treason
05-30-05, 02:17 AM
Nothing will happen except more people will buy nVidia SLI ready video cards. All ATi has right now is a competing product on paper. nVidia SLI isn't going to be beaten.

OldOfEvil
05-30-05, 03:27 AM
How come nVidia couldn't use the orginal SLI method of alternalte line rendering which worked with everything IIRC?

lowdog
05-30-05, 05:09 AM
How come nVidia couldn't use the orginal SLI method of alternalte line rendering which worked with everything IIRC?

Yeah, what he said ^ :)

DSC
05-30-05, 07:20 AM
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1799/

ATI was also quick to comment on NVIDIA’s solution being a cumbersome one, requiring a special SLI motherboard, two identical graphics cards and last but not least a internal SLI connector to establish communication between the two cards. From looking at the ATI Crossfire solution they’ve managed to eliminate none of these ‘drawbacks’ as their solution has about the same requirements as NVIDIA’s. You’ll also need a new motherboard sporting an ATI chipset with Crossfire support, a ‘master’ graphics card that will work with any 2nd ATI PCIe graphics card and last, but not least, an external dongle to enable the two cards talk to each other.

So we’re left scratching our heads, exactly how is this solution more elegant and flexible than NVIDIA’s? At least NVIDIA’s solution works with any 6800 or 6600 series graphics card, the Crossfire solution requires the purchase of a +$500 master card, so much for flexibility. And what’s with that external dongle? An internal connector to establish communication and freeing the bracket of cable clutter and enabling a 2nd DVI or S-Video output is a far more elegant solution. By the looks of it the affordable SLI alternative that Crossfire was pitched as a few months ago has now turned into an expensive and not at all flexible solution that doesn’t offer anything substantial over NVIDIA’s. For the time being we’d suggest you stick with NVIDIA’s solution and don’t get caught in the crossfire.

I pity da fool that thinks Crossfire is to be feared. Even if it's faster, it's far more unflexible, who's gonna blow $500 on a Crossfire Edition Master Card after buying a $500 non Crossfire Edition? :thumbdwn:

And you can't even use a X850 CE card with a X800 Non-CE card or X800 CE card with a X850 Non-CE. Anyone notice how unflexible this is? :thumbdwn:

And who is gonna dumb down their 16pipe card with a 12pipe card? :thumbdwn:

SH64
05-30-05, 08:44 AM
If nVidia don't start getting more compatability for games running in sli then it may be a very bad investment. If all the new impending game releases fail to work in sli then this will be REAL bad!....no sli in Riddick EFBB, Boiling Point, what will be next???....STALKER, PREY, FEAR, Quake4, Timeshift, Vivisector, King Kong. Oh man I'm starting to panik about wether the money I put into a sli rig will even be woth it.

Especially considering ATI's announcement that Crossfire will be compatible with ALL games, if this is the case then nVidias sli will be doomed. :thumbdwn:

Dont panic .. first the games you mentioned wil be most likely 99% SLI supported .. thats as i have read from different sources.
Stalker - yes
Prey/Quake4 .. those i'm sure will be SLI supported since they are powered by Doom3 engine.
Boiling Point is already filled with bugs so i really didnt expect any SLI support. they should fix thier in-game bugs first heh!
as for Riddick i saw an SLI profile in one of the recent betas but it didnt work still .. maybe nVIDIA is working on it?

& about ATI's Crossfire .. you should'nt start to compare something not even announced.
yeah everyone can say he has the best , but until we see a proof .. its all BS!
thats beside the Master & Slave stories ..

ChrisRay
05-30-05, 09:05 AM
If ATI is using SFR and AFR type aproaches, They will still suffer compatibility issues. They wouldnt include these types of modes if Tiling was the be all end of rendering. Multi GPU rendering will always suffer some problems when it comes to compatibility. From what I have read about the various aproaches. This will be true to AFR, SFR, And Tiling.

The reason Scan Line Interleaving is no longer a viable Multi GPU rendering mode is because of the programmable nature of GPUS. It would likely suffer just as many issues as our current modes if not more.

Dazz
05-30-05, 01:01 PM
As for flex ability yeah you need a master card but you could use a X850 CF card and a X800 PRO and still work. Also NV's SLI DOES NOT WORK with cards that do not have the same exact BIOS on both cards. As most poeple are scared of flashing their cards and hope it works that a big diffrence. After all not all BIOS's work on all cards even on the same NV GPU type. But hey we will find out soon enough what ATi's crossfire has too offer.

I can see it working with ALL 3D applications their Radeon 9800 set up with multiple cards did work with ALL Open GL games so a new driver update to allow Direct 3D should hopefully do the same. Again not saying that you will allways get a 2 fold speed bump but anyway from 10% onwards. Still better then a -5% in games that did not support SLi.

Speacking of Riddick that was on their List think it still is as a SLi compatible game. Still from what i have seen there is a -20% in peformance in SLI mode and have to run in single video mode to work :( Too bad that was a game that could of really beifitted in SLi with PS3.0 enabled.

PSYCHODAD
05-30-05, 01:29 PM
Also NV's SLI DOES NOT WORK with cards that do not have the same exact BIOS on both cards.

Some people have claimed that SLI will work with different bios. I believe that the bios must be fairly similar to each other to work though.

I was one of those who had to flash one of my cards to get SLI to work. I ordered both my cards at the same time, but only got one card shipped. The other card didn't ship until a couple weeks later and had a newer bios.