PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Silver 5 VS. Silicone Paste from: Arctic Cooling

Digital_Trans
05-30-05, 07:43 PM
Which of the two would work best for cooling an AMD Athlon 3500+ 2.2GHz?
Which of the two would work best for cooling NForce Chipset?
Which of the two would work best for cooling eVGA SLI 6800 Ultra?
Which is the best of the best??? :D

Clay
05-30-05, 07:48 PM
AS5 on all counts. However, the silicone paste is considered "safer" by some people as it is typically non-conductive while the AS5 is slightly conductive. I feel better about using silicone-based (I prefer Arctic Silver Ceramique) on video card memory modules but I use AS5 on CPUs, GPUs and Northbridges.

Digital_Trans
05-30-05, 08:08 PM
Okay, but I'm sticking with the Silicone Paste. I don't like Arctic Silver 5.
It's way to strong for anything. It's so strong that it's like glue. infact,
my friend put more then need be on his AMD64 Processor. When he went to pull the Heatsink off, it not only pulled the heatsink. But, also it pulled the
processor with it. This happened even with the socket locked down in place on the motherboard. I see why some computer builders, users would stick with the silicone paste...Good Idea! :D

Sincerely,

Digital_Trans

AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2.2GHz 1GB FSB
2/eVGA 6800 Ultra PCI-Express (SLI Ready)
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe-MB
Samsung 3GB PC3200/400MHz-DDR
450GB Total:HDD/8MB Cache
Silver Stone (650W) SLI Ready
Samsung 21.3" Digital_LCD Monitor (Black)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

einstein_314
05-30-05, 08:19 PM
Okay, but I'm sticking with the Silicone Paste. I don't like Arctic Silver 5.
It's way to strong for anything. It's so strong that it's like glue. infact,
my friend put more then need be on his AMD64 Processor. When he went to pull the Heatsink off, it not only pulled the heatsink. But, also it pulled the
processor with it. This happened even with the socket locked down in place on the motherboard. I see why some computer builders, users would stick with the silicone paste...Good Idea! :D

Sincerely,

Digital_Trans

AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2.2GHz 1GB FSB
2/eVGA 6800 Ultra PCI-Express (SLI Ready)
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe-MB
Samsung 3GB PC3200/400MHz-DDR
450GB Total:HDD/8MB Cache
Silver Stone (650W) SLI Ready
Samsung 21.3" Digital_LCD Monitor (Black)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Uh all you have to do to get it of is either a) twist it around a bit while pulling or b) turn on the computer for a minute and let it warm up, shut it down and take it off. Not rocket science. I can't believe he pulled the cpu out of the socket. That would require quite a bit of pulling I would think.

As Clay said, I use AS5 on GPUs, CPUs and Northbridges and silicone-based pastes for the RAM.

Oh, and you should put your sig as a sig rather than pasting it in every post. Click on "Quick links" on the top menu bar thingy and select "Edit Signature".

CaptNKILL
05-30-05, 08:23 PM
Uh all you have to do to get it of is either a) twist it around a bit while pulling or b) turn on the computer for a minute and let it warm up, shut it down and take it off. Not rocket science. I can't believe he pulled the cpu out of the socket. That would require quite a bit of pulling I would think.

As Clay said, I use AS5 on GPUs, CPUs and Northbridges and silicone-based pastes for the RAM.

Oh, and you should put your sig as a sig rather than pasting it in every post. Click on "Quick links" on the top menu bar thingy and select "Edit Signature".
Actually, I had this happen at work a couple weeks ago with a Pentium 4 and normal thermal grease. The locking mechanism on those sockets really dont work that well. Any decent amount of suction will yank the CPU right out with the heatsink. Thank god nothing was damaged.

Clay
05-30-05, 08:40 PM
AS5 is thicker than previous AS "versions" but it isn't sticky or adhesive IMO. I'm sure that it could create enough friction to pull a CPU out of socket if someone pulled it just right and wasn't being very careful. Ceramique, on the other hand, is quite sticky or tacky is a better word...much thicker anyway than AS5.

|MaguS|
05-30-05, 09:33 PM
AS5 is great, I use it on all my chipsets. It's a pain to apply "properly" atleast for me, but once ya get it on good, it works just great.

AthlonXP1800
05-30-05, 09:54 PM
Definitely Arctic Silver 5!!!

Here are review of Arctic Silver 5 (http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/cooling/arctic_silver5/) and Silicone paste benchmarks (http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/cooling/thermal_paste/index_3.shtml), Artic Silver 5 cooling 3C lower than Arctic Silver 3. At full load Arctic Silver 5 should measured 42C and Silicone paste performed much worse at 60C on AMD XP 2200+ A core.

I highly recommended to get Arctic Silver 5, it will do best job on CPUs, chipsets and GPUs, I will get one for my next upgrade with Athlon 64 X2. :D

Rytr
05-30-05, 09:55 PM
While I use AS5 and Ceramique I preferred AS2 as it was easy to apply. But all my stock is gone so AS5 it is. AS5 is a little difficult to work it down to a super thin layer consistently. However, the little added work seems to be worth it.

Digital_Trans
05-30-05, 11:13 PM
When applying Arctic Silver 5 on CPU. What's the least amount to be on the safe side??? I don't want a repeat of what happened to my friends cpu
when he applyed to much Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU and it couldn't be freed.
Any suggestions???

Clay
05-30-05, 11:19 PM
When applying Arctic Silver 5 on CPU. What's the least amount to be on the safe side??? I don't want a repeat of what happened to my friends cpu
when he applyed to much Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU and it couldn't be freed.
Any suggestions???
Use just a drop about the size of a grain of rice. Let the heatsink spread the compound by its own pressure, this eliminates air bubbles that occur when you spread it yourself. See more here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

|MaguS|
05-30-05, 11:20 PM
Um I would say slightly larger then the size of a piece of rice...

Clay
05-30-05, 11:25 PM
Um I would say slightly larger then the size of a piece of rice...
Well, if Arctic Silver suggests it then it's good enough for me. ;) I've seen it have substantial improvements over spreading it myself or having slightly too much.

jAkUp
05-30-05, 11:31 PM
Most people use too much, like a pea sized amount.

BTW Nice Avatar Clay ;)

Clay
05-30-05, 11:34 PM
Most people use too much, like a pea sized amount.

BTW Nice Avatar Clay ;)
Heh, thanks. It's a stopgap...I'm in the middle of an avatar identity crisis. :D

lduguay
05-31-05, 03:27 PM
Actually, I had this happen at work a couple weeks ago with a Pentium 4 and normal thermal grease. The locking mechanism on those sockets really dont work that well. Any decent amount of suction will yank the CPU right out with the heatsink. Thank god nothing was damaged.

Yeah happened to me too, right off the socket, and i was not even pulling hard.