PDA

View Full Version : Fan on heatsink turns off during boot.

vX
05-31-05, 03:24 PM
Is this normal. (Im full of questions today aren't I?) Today I tried to boot my pc and noticed the fan on the heatsink of the cpu started to spin when bios loaded, then it stopped spinning while windows was loading, once windows loaded and the desktop came on, the fan started back up again. This is a new comp, so im not sure if it has some sort of energy saving type thing going on or what? I tried a different psu, same thing happened. I didnt notcie it before, but I just bought a light for the case and can see all the parts very clearly now. Is this normal?

Riptide
05-31-05, 03:32 PM
I've never seen that happen with any of my systems. I would also suspect that such behavior would be due to a BIOS setting of some sort or another. What happens if you boot to a floppy? Does the fan stay completely off when it just sits there at a prompt?

vX
05-31-05, 03:56 PM
I just poked around in Bios, found this option " CPU Smart Fan Controller " it's enabled. I rebooted and the fan stayed on this time. (cpu @ 24c) the first time I booted up my cpu was 19C, I think it has something to do with low temps and the smart fan enabled. I'll watch it. If it happens again (didnt happen upon reboot after bios) i'll disable the smart fan and see if that helps, i'm really leaning toward it being that. Phew. Back to normal. heh. Thanks again Riptide!

Gator
05-31-05, 04:25 PM
By any chance would the motherboard happen to be a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra S939

If yes, then that's why it's a common issue Gigabyte has yet to resolve on that model.

vX
05-31-05, 04:30 PM
It is a k8 gigabyte mobo! So should I just keep smart cpu fan disabled?

OldOfEvil
05-31-05, 09:52 PM
I had the side off on my rig and was poking around the BIOS and noted that the fan wasn't on. It sort of freaked me out at first but I jumped into my PC health sub menu and looked at the temps, under 80F, and it didn't spin up until I started to load up progs in Windows. Only thing I could think of was Smart fan, which was on and the Cool n Quiet, which IIRC simply throttles the CPU down to almost nothing when its not doing anything..