PDA

View Full Version : X2's now for sale at Monarch....

Pages : [1] 2 3

Am_I_Evil
06-01-05, 04:22 AM
damn they're expensive....

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=AMD64

Vishruth
06-01-05, 07:08 AM
$619 for the X2 4400+? H'm... I'd better wait a month or so before getting this stuff.

killahsin
06-01-05, 07:51 AM
might need to wait a bit longer then a month hehe

Riptide
06-01-05, 08:38 AM
Yeah prices aren't supposed to come down until next year. At least meaningful price reductions anyway.

CaptNKILL
06-01-05, 08:47 AM
Wow... im actually surprised they are so cheap. I know the performance doesnt show for games yet, but they have sooo much potential... these are going to really kick some ass once games start taking advantage of both cores effectively.

zoomy942
06-01-05, 09:14 AM
it burns my eyes to see those prices..

so a dual core will be $600, and a G70 will be $549, and that stupid PPU is $300... wow, thast a lot of money and we arent even close to having all the parts we would need for a new pc.

Riptide
06-01-05, 09:35 AM
Well realistically why shouldn't the dual cores be expensive? After all you are basically getting two CPUs... So it only follows that they shouldn't really be as cheap as current single core models. I doubt the 4200+ X2 will get down to 3200+ winchester prices until the 3200+ has been completely discontinued.

|MaguS|
06-01-05, 09:52 AM
Hmm I wana see some benches... Wonder how well they OC also...

jAkUp
06-01-05, 10:10 AM
Hmm I wana see some benches... Wonder how well they OC also...

There already is plenty of benchies :)

Riptide
06-01-05, 10:21 AM
I doubt they'll overclock any better than current venice cores, possibly worse. Realize you now have twice the complexity to deal with (2 CPUs, 2 points of failure).

BrianG
06-01-05, 10:57 AM
Multitasking with the X2 is cool. :afro:

Ask me how I know...

Riptide
06-01-05, 11:34 AM
In my situation about the only benefit I would get from dual core, as of right now, is being able to fold work units while playing games at the same time. I can do that right now with my FX, but the folding client (background task @ that point) doesn't do much work.

By the time prices come down on them, early next year, perhaps then the benefit will be worth it for me. Plus I want a ramp up in clock speed, 2.4GHz just isn't all that big of a deal to me. I already have that w/my single core chip. I would like to see applications gain some benefit from replacing my FX even if they aren't made to work with the second core. Hence my desire for more clock speed. :)

killahsin
06-01-05, 11:59 AM
running a mmo in windowed while you browse the web and listen to mp3's also is a way of gaining sufficient performance. Or watching a dvd in a little window above your mmo in windowed mode hehe

Riptide
06-01-05, 12:24 PM
MMO meaning massively multiplayer online? I'm not sure how you can watch a DVD and play the game at the same time whilst actually paying attention fully to either one. I generally don't like to be distracted from watching a movie, which is why I don't play games on my PSP in the theater. ;)

saturnotaku
06-01-05, 12:28 PM
it burns my eyes to see those prices..

so a dual core will be $600, and a G70 will be $549, and that stupid PPU is $300... wow, thast a lot of money and we arent even close to having all the parts we would need for a new pc.

And that, my friends, is precisely the reason why I went with the Mac and my Xbox.

BrianG
06-01-05, 12:38 PM
And that, my friends, is precisely the reason why I went with the Mac and my Xbox.
Just because its for sale doesn't mean you have to buy it... :p

Riptide
06-01-05, 12:39 PM
Just because its for sale doesn't mean you have to buy it... :p
No kidding. You can do damn good in games right now with just a 3200+ or even a 3000+ overclocked.

wshadow
06-01-05, 01:18 PM
U CANNOT buythem at monarch yet, they are PREORDERS due for june 16th

netviper13
06-01-05, 02:12 PM

Ask me how I know...

Judging by the ?? ????? in your signature, I'd say you are a lucky bastard who managed to already get his grubby palms on one of these babies.

Pssst, I say we kill him, take his cars and computer equipment, and run...

:D

Strahd
06-01-05, 03:05 PM

Ask me how I know...

ok I'll bite here. How do you know you X2 owning cheater? :)

BrianG
06-01-05, 03:40 PM
OK, I confess. I am lucky enough to have the oppurtunity to use an X2 4800+ in my system. It is impressive to say the least.

The 1MB L2 caches in combination with dual core load sharing crossbar creates a very "smooth" PC experience. Everything just kind of happens and the system rarely gasps for cycles. You know how Jordan would make the impossible look commonplace, I guess it is like that, heh.

Case in point, I was running Q3A against bots windowed and virus scan on the OS drive with Outlook and Task Manager in the background while ripping a CD at 128kbps in media player. NO slow-downs while gaming, even map changes were fluid. The CPU load showed a peak usage of 90%, average of about 85%, so there was still headroom left. Impressive.

Next step is an x64 install to fully take advantage of dual CPU. XP Home recognizes both processors as it would the logical dual CPUs of the P4 EEs, but does not include NUMA memory enhancements, etc. to get the most out of the processor(s). XP Pro x64 has all the dual CPU logic of Server 2k3. We'll see how she runs. All of my gear has x64 drivers available, aside from the digital camera and printer and the 32-bit drivers work.

If I were given the budget choice between an FX55 and an X2 4400+, I would have to take the dual core. Yeah, gaming only, the FX is a fast SOB and would give higher peak performance, but I live in the real world. I leave programs running in the background when I launch Doom3. I don't reboot to get the max framerate every time I launch a game and I constantly fill up both monitors with windows.

I love it so far...

zoomy942
06-01-05, 03:42 PM
Pssst, I say we kill him, take his cars and computer equipment, and run...

:D

screw the car...

get the PC

BrianG
06-01-05, 04:22 PM
screw the car...

get the PC
Dude, seriously. Car. For real. How many PCs are nearly 6 years old and still perform on par with the best of what is new and can still be unique after that much time? Besides the interior of my car is much more comfortable for racing games. :D

Riptide
06-01-05, 04:37 PM
The car. Then sell it and buy several high end PCs. :D

Strahd
06-01-05, 04:39 PM
OK, I confess. I am lucky enough to have the oppurtunity to use an X2 4800+ in my system. It is impressive to say the least.

The 1MB L2 caches in combination with dual core load sharing crossbar creates a very "smooth" PC experience. Everything just kind of happens and the system rarely gasps for cycles. You know how Jordan would make the impossible look commonplace, I guess it is like that, heh.

Case in point, I was running Q3A against bots windowed and virus scan on the OS drive with Outlook and Task Manager in the background while ripping a CD at 128kbps in media player. NO slow-downs while gaming, even map changes were fluid. The CPU load showed a peak usage of 90%, average of about 85%, so there was still headroom left. Impressive.

Next step is an x64 install to fully take advantage of dual CPU. XP Home recognizes both processors as it would the logical dual CPUs of the P4 EEs, but does not include NUMA memory enhancements, etc. to get the most out of the processor(s). XP Pro x64 has all the dual CPU logic of Server 2k3. We'll see how she runs. All of my gear has x64 drivers available, aside from the digital camera and printer and the 32-bit drivers work.

If I were given the budget choice between an FX55 and an X2 4400+, I would have to take the dual core. Yeah, gaming only, the FX is a fast SOB and would give higher peak performance, but I live in the real world. I leave programs running in the background when I launch Doom3. I don't reboot to get the max framerate every time I launch a game and I constantly fill up both monitors with windows.

I love it so far...

Have you tried assigning processes using processor affinity? I can't remember if XP has the option for it or not since I don't have a dual CPU. I was curious if you could assign the OS to the secondary CPU this freeing up CPU time for things like games and other apps that do not use multi-CPUs