PDA

View Full Version : 1.0-7664 for Solaris x64/x86 released

zander
06-02-05, 01:30 AM
Release Highlights:
* First publically available NVIDIA Solaris x64/x86 Quadro Graphics Driver

* Includes both 32-bit and 64-bit support.

* Includes OpenGL 2.0 Support.

* Includes support for Xinerama + OpenGL; see APPENDIX S in
the text README.

* Includes support for the EXT_framebuffer_object OpenGL extension.

* Includes the nvidia-settings control panel.

* See Appendix A in the README for a list of supported Quadro GPUs.

The 1.0-7664 NVIDIA Accelerated Solaris Quadro Graphics Driver Set for Solaris x64/x86 is available for download via HTTP (http://www.nvidia.com/object/solaris_display_1.0-7664.html) and FTP (ftp://download.nvidia.com/solaris/1.0-7664/).

tpenta
06-02-05, 02:10 AM
I blogged (http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/tpenta/20050601#nvidia_drivers_available_for_solaris) about this earlier today and already have had a thank you from one W2100 w/ NV280 owner who was very impressed with the ease of installation.

I ran a looking glass demo with it on my notebook (GeForce 4 4400 Go) at the Sydney Open Solaris User Group meeting which received a pretty good response too.

Alan.

Yodle
06-02-05, 11:45 AM
Thanks very much, Nvidia. I'm in the middle of setting up a Solaris system and this will be a part of it.

Though I suppose you've upset Xi Graphics, you just cost them a sale. :) Now I don't have to scrounge around looking for a half-supported OpenGL card...

TheTaz
06-02-05, 03:28 PM
You guys ever going to make an NForce Driver for Solaris?

I absolutely refuse to put a PCI NIC in my nForce 2 box.

Thanks,

Taz

EvilTypeGuy
06-02-05, 07:49 PM
@Zander: *cheers* Thanks nVidia.

@TheTaz: You have a nVidia specific ethernet adapter? Or is it realtek, etc? If it's realtek, they have drivers up on their website for Solaris.

astade2
06-02-05, 11:11 PM
You guys ever going to make an NForce Driver for Solaris?

I absolutely refuse to put a PCI NIC in my nForce 2 box.

Thanks,

Taz

http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/index.htm

Lots of goodies there. Among others a driver for my nFORCE3 250 NIC.

astade2
06-02-05, 11:12 PM
Release Highlights:
* First publically available NVIDIA Solaris x64/x86 Quadro Graphics Driver

* Includes both 32-bit and 64-bit support.

* Includes OpenGL 2.0 Support.

* Includes support for Xinerama + OpenGL; see APPENDIX S in
the text README.

* Includes support for the EXT_framebuffer_object OpenGL extension.

* Includes the nvidia-settings control panel.

* See Appendix A in the README for a list of supported Quadro GPUs.

The 1.0-7664 NVIDIA Accelerated Solaris Quadro Graphics Driver Set for Solaris x64/x86 is available for download via HTTP (http://www.nvidia.com/object/solaris_display_1.0-7664.html) and FTP (ftp://download.nvidia.com/solaris/1.0-7664/).

Thank you NVIDIA. We were locked in to ATI cards because we weren't able to use the Xorg 'nv' driver to produce dual screen configurations. This should now be solved. Considering that Sun recommends NVIDIA cards, we'll be buying them going forward.

Kamel
06-03-05, 12:08 AM
awesome news, very excited to see nVidia's support for operating systems to expand.

vadiraj
06-03-05, 07:44 AM
All,

I have installed the latest driver on my w1100z AMD x64 Sun box with Solaris x86 and I see that Xorg is hogging the CPU forever. Does anybody observed this before??

-V

EvilTypeGuy
06-03-05, 10:23 AM
No. Can't say I've seen that. Usage on my box hovers around 2% while idling at the JDS desktop.

TheTaz
06-03-05, 10:57 AM
@Zander: *cheers* Thanks nVidia.

@TheTaz: You have a nVidia specific ethernet adapter? Or is it realtek, etc? If it's realtek, they have drivers up on their website for Solaris.

Must be nVidia because I already tried the realtek RTL 8129 / 8139 / 810x family drivers... and they didn't work.

ABit NF7-S onboard NIC.

Thanks, though. :)

keithk
06-04-05, 08:25 PM
I tried this module on a GeForce2 MX GPU and it did not work. The same driver version on linux works on the same machine. I cannot use nv driver because the system will hang intemittently. When does Nvidia plan to support the MX GPU and the NForce2 ethernet?

EvilTypeGuy
06-05-05, 02:24 AM
I tried this module on a GeForce2 MX GPU and it did not work. The same driver version on linux works on the same machine. I cannot use nv driver because the system will hang intemittently. When does Nvidia plan to support the MX GPU and the NForce2 ethernet?

1) You do know that this driver requires that you manually add the PCI Device ID using update_drv right? Anything that's non-Quadro is not officially supported, so requires that you tell the system manually that it really can use this driver for your card.

2) nVidia recently announced that a separate set of drivers would support legacy cards. I'm not sure if they consider the GF2MX a legacy card or not, and more than likely they won't be supporting legacy cards on Solaris.

zander
06-05-05, 04:43 AM
The GeForce2 MX is not a legacy GPU, please see the Linux README (ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-7664/README.txt) for a list of legacy GPU's.

Radea
06-05-05, 01:47 PM
Thank you very much NVIDIA. In a time where UNIX support is becomming increasingly important, NVIDIA continues to release capable drivers for many operating systems. I will now be running Solaris with NVIDIA hardware on a few of my computers.

vadiraj
06-06-05, 01:29 AM
All,

I have installed the latest driver on my w1100z AMD x64 Sun box with Solaris x86 and I see that Xorg is hogging the CPU forever. Does anybody observed this before??

-V

Can anybody help me out in this, pl? :o

Thanks
-V

johnmartin
06-21-05, 06:14 PM
Do you have /etc/X11/xorg.conf? If not, try copying /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia
to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

John Martin
Sun

seaexplorer
06-08-06, 11:29 AM
Hello, everybody.

Sorry for barging in. I'm a new guy here. I have a solaris 10 Installation pack for Intel. I have a hardware List.

ASUS A8N-SLI Delux
MSI 6600 videocard
1 Gig of RAM
AMD 3200+ CPU
2 SATA 120 GB harddrives.

Reading Solaris HCL does not mention any of my hardware. Does anyone know if this list is a trouble for Solaris install?

Many thanks.

ronroberts
09-22-06, 04:13 PM
http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/index.htm

Lots of goodies there. Among others a driver for my nFORCE3 250 NIC.

This URL not fount where I'm at.

Anybody have any idea how to get the nvnet driver recommended by the Ultra 40 Release Information (page 8).

ron