PDA

View Full Version : Best cooling for BFG 6800U OC with SLI?

darklife41
06-02-05, 09:46 AM
New member here. Spent the better part of a day looking around this forum and haven't really found any up-to-date info comparing cooling options for SLI, specifically BFG 6800Ultra OCs. So I'm wondering what the gurus here recommend for such a setup.

I read on another forum about Arctic Cooling 5 Rev2, modified with an 80mm fan, but no idea if that would fit on an SLI system or how it compares to liquid cooling.

My entire system needs to have the cooling upgraded, so if water cooling is the best option would need to know if 1 pump would be sufficient for CPU and 2 VGAs, etc..

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, 10385 3Dmark05 on the Gigabyte board with underclocked PC4000 and stock cooling. Still setting up the DFI for comparison. :)
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=855235

dark

jAkUp
06-02-05, 01:51 PM
The Zalman VF700 is the best you can get. The Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer will not fit on the DFI board in SLI.

darklife41
06-02-05, 03:06 PM
I appreciate the replys and welcome. (Should have mentioned that 3Dmark05 score was on the old 3500+ Winchester, not the 3800+ Venice. All other components are the same.)

Thanx Butter Bandit. :-)

So Zalman air is even better than liquid?

Serrasalmus
06-02-05, 07:38 PM
well i dont have a sli setup but i do have a ultra and i got it water cooled with the koolance nv block and it works really well....

lamarodom007
06-02-05, 07:54 PM
If u can afford 2 6800s. WHy wouldnt u spend another hundred or 2 to get some great watercooling kit. SHould work perfect on dual 6800s.

Pandora's Box
06-02-05, 08:49 PM
the zalman cooling unit doesnt work very well in confined spaces (air flow blocked by second card)

Ruined
06-02-05, 09:05 PM
I'd either stick with stock or use watercooling.

jAkUp
06-02-05, 10:04 PM
So Zalman air is even better than liquid?

Definetely not better than water cooling, but its the best for aircooling.

darklife41
06-03-05, 03:21 AM
I'm not rich, but run a custom computer business from home. This is my personal system which is also on display in our office for customers to see. We're trying to attract more enthusiasts/gamers which is why this system has a decent budget.

So water cooling it is. Although I realise that the best performance would be with home made setup, I don't want the mess nor fugliness. So I'll go with a kit. Hope to place an order before the weekend if possible.

My options (available quickly in Oz) are Zalman Reserator 1 (fanless), Coolermaster Aquagate Liquid Cooling System (ALC-U01), Corsair COOL Water Cooling 100-1000, The Thermaltake Rocket Fanless, and Swiftech H20-120 Rev 3.

Keep in mind that this will be used for 2 GPUs and 1 CPU. I'm assuming that 2 Zalman VGA Modules for Reserator will attach to any of the above kits. Any experience will these systems used in this manner? (IE: is the supplied pump powerful enough to create turbulent flow with 3 connections, any additional radiator fans required, etc.).

Thanx again for the responses and take satisfaction in knowing that your input is being used to build a display system that customers will be viewing for (hopefully) quite some time. I also ordered quite a few UV reactive components to place inside and can't wait to get it together and post some pics here. I'll be happy to point anyone interested to the expertise of this forum. I've found more valuable info here than any of the other forums that I frequent. :)

jAkUp
06-03-05, 01:10 PM
I would go with the Swiftech :) Its a tad more difficult to install, but its the better out of the 5.

darklife41
06-03-05, 02:16 PM
Must admit I'm attracted to the 1/2" ID, but can't find measurements on the height of the VPU blocks for Swiftech. Hate to spend all that $ to find out they won't fit between the cards. Throttling down 1/2" to 3/8" would defeat the purpose of having 1/2". :-)

Roch
06-06-05, 06:36 AM
I've got 2 inno3d 6800gt's in SLI and I'm using an EXOS AI to cool both of them and the CPU. If you can, I'd wait and get the EXOS 2. The EXOS AI is pretty good, the GT's are running at 432 without any problems, idle 50 for the top card and 70 at load, the CPU is 34 (mild OC to 2.6). The blocks I'm using are the NV6 6800 specific ones. The airflow in my case is awful (Lian Li PCV1100), so you may get better results. It does kick into Mode 3 sometimes (after a couple of hours of Doom3 multi) which is pretty noisy, but for the most part i've been happy with it. HTH.

darklife41
06-07-05, 01:36 PM
As is typical for AU, its been impossible to locate the Swiftech kit. On top of that, there is a new Swiftech pump (maybe already available in the US) which my suppliers won't get for another 6 weeks.

So I've just placed an order for the Exos 2 (black). The unit should be here in a week (from AU) but the GPU blocks and CPU block with Athlon64 adapter had to be ordered from Koolance, so might take longer to arrive.
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_41&products_id=190

After researching pretty thoroughly, I'm convinced that this is the best system I could get in a reasonable amount of time, although quite pricey. Almost the same price as a phase change case... sheesh. Will update with pics and results when everything arrives and is installed. Thanx again to all for the advice. :)