PDA

View Full Version : Im tired of waiting for Lost Coast

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

BioHazZarD
06-03-05, 04:49 AM
I dont know about you but im tired of Valves BS when will this so called demonstration level be out ? It takes them too damn long just release it im sure its ready and everything almost. BUt who cares soon BF2 is out so HL2 will be forgotten for a while lol.

msxyz
06-03-05, 05:28 AM
Somehow I have a feeling that they will be released the day R520 hit the shelves :rolleyes:

AthlonXP1800
06-03-05, 05:44 AM
At E3, Valve confirmed Lost Coast minimum spec requirements as follow: 3.2GHz CPU, 1Gb RAM and Geforce 6800 GT/Radeon X800XL with 16 pipelines or higher.

I think alots of us didnt met these spec, we need to upgrade when Lost Coast available to download.

Gaco
06-03-05, 06:17 AM
I think the levels looks great, and they've come a long way with it! Have you guys checked out the planethalflife bink-trailer of Lost Coast yet?

http://www.fileplanet.com/154045/150000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---PlanetHalflife.com-E3-2005-Interview-[Bink-Format]

I think it will be great to play, even with BF2 out :)

AthlonXP1800
06-03-05, 06:25 AM
Thank for the link, dl it now. :D

Superfly
06-03-05, 06:44 AM
balls to the Lost Coast - Valve Who??

brady
06-03-05, 06:51 AM
i think the level will be interesting and fun, and im looking forward to playing it. nevertheless, it was wrong for doug go on g4tv and promise that it would be out. Weíre close. Itíll definitely come out this spring. We donít have an exact date just yet, but like I said itíll be made available as a free update to all Half-Life 2 owners probably within the next four to eight weeks. that was stated on march 31, 2005. we are on week 9 since that statement was made. its just very dissapointing. ESPECIALLY considering the entire fiasco that surrounded the HL2 release.

in any event, i still check steam news often becuase, like i said before, i am looking forward to this new level with higher detail and hdr.

vX
06-03-05, 05:25 PM
I...I...I...t-t-t-t-t-thiiiiiiiiiin-n-n-n.....k the the the the g-g-g-g-am-e-e-e wuh, wuh, wuh, will stu stu stutter t.t.t.tooooooooooooo m-m-m-mu-u-u-chhhhhhhhhhh tah tah tah toooooooo e-e-e-even c-c-c-c-aaaaare about about about the the l-l-l-evelllllll...

Rakeesh
06-03-05, 09:02 PM
Valve always promises that something they are developing will be out the next season after that press release, but then it doesn't actually surface until a year and two seasons later. I personally never look forward to anything from vaporware valve, theres no point really.

anzak
06-03-05, 10:16 PM
At E3, Valve confirmed Lost Coast minimum spec requirements as follow: 3.2GHz CPU, 1Gb RAM and Geforce 6800 GT/Radeon X800XL with 16 pipelines or higher.

I think alots of us didnt met these spec, we need to upgrade when Lost Coast available to download.

That really sounds like recommended specs. Because Half Life 2 really wasn't that taxing on a video card. We have already seen how Far Cry (a far more demanding game) is affected by HDR. I had no trouble running HDR Far Cry on a 12 pipe 6800. I don't see any reason why a X800 pro or 6800 would have trouble running it. Hell, the backup HDR method should run fine on a Radeon 9800 pro.

DaveW
06-03-05, 10:56 PM

Yeah, you hear THAT boys? 3.2 GHz is the MINUMUM... That crappy old 3.1 GHz you have just won't cut it.

I'd say less than 10% of PCs meet all three specs. They are just stupid... unless the thing won't be released for another two years... come to think of it, this IS Valve we are talking about.

Ruined
06-03-05, 10:59 PM
There is no way Valve will release a SM3.0 FP16 HDR patch until ATI has an SM3.0 FP16 HDR card availabile. So you won't see this until you see R520. Guess it really doesn't matter to be technologically competitive at this point for Valve anyway as no games have licensed their engine since the horrendous stuttering and memory crash bugs (that are still unfixed) were discovered. Since it looks like they can't fix these bugs, I assume Source will only be seen in use on Valve games, the rest going to Unreal3 and Doom3 engines.

GlowStick
06-03-05, 11:06 PM
I think its planned fore release right after VAC...

erm

Ruined is probly right. heh.

killahsin
06-03-05, 11:53 PM
Yes and we definatly need more games like pariah.

Let's be serious lost coast is free, its supposed to be super high end, to demonstrate how high the engine can scale. You can also expect lost coast to not be the last free levels, and the expansion after it to not be the last expansion. Ah yes but thats right its valve, anything they do will be flamed, including being so up to date with the community that their bad timing is so public. Every other dev goes through the same things, valve just tells you about them upfront. Rather then just leaving their community clueless. Most dev's will never tell you their 'expectations' nor give you pictures of their whiteboard checklists so u can see where they are at. Nor will they add things to their engine specifically requested by modders alone. lol, as much as yall flame them, i don't think you realize how many careers were started inside worldcraft.

vX
06-04-05, 01:30 PM
Ah yes but thats right its valve, anything they do will be flamed, including being so up to date with the community that their bad timing is so public. Every other dev goes through the same things, valve just tells you about them upfront. Rather then just leaving their community clueless.

Yeah...valve would NEVER leave it's gamer's clueless for a year and 2 months regarding the release of a highly anticipated sequel. :rolleyes: They were upfront about it ....that is after avoiding the subject for 6 months and letting the leaked source engine take the blame...and their technical support is certainly top notch, they continually patch a game that was unfinished to begin with and released, yet the game still suffers from horrible bugs. That's quality! ;)

The free level does nothing for most of us users, as it will be like the main game, and upcoming expansion - buggy as heck. Maybe if I could play the game for 60 seconds without a hiccup or stutter or crash, I'd enjoy myself.

You're sticking up for a company who flat out lied about a release date, released an unfinished game they still try to patch up, totally ignore their consumers when technical issues arise, and are charging $30 for an expansion pack which is essential huge chunks of the original game that they cut out to get the game out the door. Doesn't sound too respectable to me. :thumbdwn:

Instead of wasting time showing off HDR, I'd sooner they fixed the game I paid for and still can't play.

FraGTastiK
06-04-05, 02:09 PM
There is no way Valve will release a SM3.0 FP16 HDR patch until ATI has an SM3.0 FP16 HDR card availabile. So you won't see this until you see R520.

was thinking of the same thing.

Unless... [cough,swithces to INQ channel :b] Valve is not in bed with ATi anymore,in fact Valve saw ATi getting in bed with a D3 engine game and got pissed so decided to exchange looks with nVIDIA.showing off some of its nV based HDR up its skirt.trying to make nVIDIA horny and all who knows.much like INQ itself,wich was in bed with Intel and ATi,got Dumped by Intel,now INQ is only in bed with ATI and is trying to dump all its extra love left in its heart to ATi,it seems ATi is getting double the pleasure it was getting before intel left the bed.

damn people get in bed too much these days cant they just call off the bed part :D

now I'm hating the phrase in bed with someone. ;-)

jAkUp
06-04-05, 02:33 PM
I already played Lost Coast at E3... to be honost I was not completely impressed.

XP_GUN
06-04-05, 02:43 PM
^ did it even look like it takes a 3.2Ghz computer with a 6800 to run? :wtf:

vX
06-04-05, 02:51 PM
sure doesn't from what i've seen of it in those clips.

jAkUp
06-04-05, 03:56 PM
It didn't look like those clips :) It looks good, definetely, but not amazing.

fivefeet8
06-04-05, 03:57 PM
It's a bit moot of Valve if they release the level when the R520 is released. 1 level for an almost year old game isn't going to sell R520's.

killahsin
06-04-05, 05:02 PM
Yeah...valve would NEVER leave it's gamer's clueless for a year and 2 months regarding the release of a highly anticipated sequel. :rolleyes: They were upfront about it ....that is after avoiding the subject for 6 months and letting the leaked source engine take the blame...and their technical support is certainly top notch, they continually patch a game that was unfinished to begin with and released, yet the game still suffers from horrible bugs. That's quality! ;)

ah yes the great delay reasoning again. Hmm, i seem to remember doom 3 having as seriously long delay after its first launch date was missed, and then all they said was when its done, over and over. Tried playing doom 3 multi lately? I mean what your complaining about is sorta what makes pc games pc games. Bugs, patches, support, extensions to the engine/editor. Where is iD's support for the mod community? Oh wait there hardly is any. Is valve purposely neglecting its mod community so that its mods don't say surpass what it has in store for dod:s, or the infamous forever delayed tf2? No they are providing full support with constant editor/engine upgrades for the modders to use, even if it means they may create somthing better than what valve has, except for free. Unlike iD's complete and utter lack of support for their modders, which has left many many solid teams to stop working on their projects. For what reason? Because they want you to buy quake 4....Yet...

So as much as you want to flame valve or some want to flame iD. Each developer has its pro's and cons. But at least valve is actually supporting their community, on the development side. Which to me is far more than any other developer has done yet. And thats why valve wins more development awards given BY developers, then any other developer. Because not only do they make great games, but because they actually support the whole gaming community by helping to infuse new talent into the market constantly.

anzak
06-04-05, 05:15 PM
That 3.2Ghz thing is wrong, it has to be. How is added HDR, higher res textures, bumpmaps, and higher poly counts going to DOUBLE the original requirement for the game (a 1.5Ghz P4)? Its not, thats only gonna make the game more GPU bound. The only reason it would be bumped up so high is if that added more physical objects.

Gentle
06-04-05, 05:24 PM
I recall hearing something in The Lost Coast bink where the guy asked what the requirement for play was and someone from Valve (unsure of who was speaking at the time) said...

*(this is from memory so it may be a little off)

2 Gigahertz processor, 1 Gigabyte of ram, latest generation Nvidia or ATI video card.

Gentle

killahsin
06-04-05, 08:13 PM
I recall hearing something in The Lost Coast bink where the guy asked what the requirement for play was and someone from Valve (unsure of who was speaking at the time) said...

*(this is from memory so it may be a little off)

2 Gigahertz processor, 1 Gigabyte of ram, latest generation Nvidia or ATI video card.

Gentle

yah thats the reqs i heard too