PDA

View Full Version : Okay to remove one of two BFG 6800GT fans?

j0j081
06-03-05, 05:32 AM
I have the crappy two fan design BFG 6800 GT and the noise is driving me nuts. One of my fans is fine but the other makes this damn rattling noise. I posted a thread about fixing it before but nobody had a solution. The problem is the fan is loose. The screws are in as tight as possible but pushing on the top of the fan drops it down a bit unlike the good one. If my temps are relatively cool and I have a really close system fan to the card do you think it would be safe to remove it?

lamarodom007
06-03-05, 05:51 AM
I have the crappy two fan design BFG 6800 GT and the noise is driving me nuts. One of my fans is fine but the other makes this damn rattling noise. I posted a thread about fixing it before but nobody had a solution. The problem is the fan is loose. The screws are in as tight as possible but pushing on the top of the fan drops it down a bit unlike the good one. If my temps are relatively cool and I have a really close system fan to the card do you think it would be safe to remove it?

That heatsink was designed to work with 2 fans. Since its pretty weak already, i wouldnt suggest to remove either one of them. However if u can afford to spend another 20 dollars I strongly suggest Get Either Zalman vf700c(strongly suggest) or Nv silencer 5. They are quieter than stock heatsink and better performance also.

j0j081
06-03-05, 07:19 AM
I've thought about it but I'm scared to try installing. Which of those two you mentioned is better?

$n][pErMan
06-03-05, 12:34 PM
I've thought about it but I'm scared to try installing. Which of those two you mentioned is better?
Ya .. if you dont do it right... you will end up like the kid who started the "One of my memory blocks fell off" thread. lol. :p

JoKeRr
06-03-05, 01:48 PM
why don't u do an RMA??

bonchez
06-03-05, 01:53 PM
I would just keep it in, I'd rather be annoyed by a loose fan then have a ruined 6800GT.

loafer87gt
06-03-05, 06:11 PM
My brother has been working at a local computer shop that carries BFG for about a month now and since then he has seen more than a dozen BFG cards returned with one of the twin fans either cracked or not working. I had similar problems with my BFG card when it was overheating big time because of the poor design of the cooler. I was told that I could send the card in for repair, but it would be a 2 + week turn around time for them to inspect the card and perform any necessary repairs to it. SOOO, i just ordered a Zalman and have been running crash free since. I'll say it again - BFG's quality is not all that, nor is their service. This will be my last purchase of one of their products.

j0j081
06-03-05, 07:23 PM
Somehow after taking the fan off and putting it on again the noise seems to have dropped by maybe 1/3. I don't feel like RMA because I don't have the patience for it. I guess I'll leave it how it is and then go for an addon cooler if it gets any worse. I didn't notice the noise as much before I dusted the fans off lol.

jAkUp
06-05-05, 02:04 AM
Is your temps much higher?

j0j081
06-05-05, 05:36 AM
Is your temps much higher?
I ended up leaving it on so no they are about the same lol.

fvbounty
06-05-05, 04:18 PM
You would love the Zalman 700C, at 12 volts you can hardly hear it, and it dropped my temps from 88 to 90C full load on my top card to 60 to 64C playing HL2 for a couple of hours. Its not really that hard to install just follow the instructions.... :)

j0j081
06-06-05, 04:36 AM
You would love the Zalman 700C, at 12 volts you can hardly hear it, and it dropped my temps from 88 to 90C full load on my top card to 60 to 64C playing HL2 for a couple of hours. Its not really that hard to install just follow the instructions.... :)
Maybe I'll look into it then. I've been debating getting something all weekend.

Edit: Do they sell those on newegg? I looked but couldn't find it.

pooface
06-06-05, 09:41 AM
Zalman even has an installation video on their website http://www.zalman.co.kr/

Doesnt let you link directly to it, but just go to the graphic card section and then the first heatsink on the top, next page will have an "Installation Movie" at the top.

Tr1cK
06-06-05, 09:45 AM
I dont see where the problems with all the BFG coolers are coming from. Mine seemed pretty well built and cooled the card almost as good as my NV5 after I put AS on it. I prob wouldnt havent got the NV5 if I knew it wouldnt help anymore than it did. I didnt even get a bigger o/c out of it.

fvbounty
06-06-05, 09:47 AM
Here's the link at Newegg but they are out of stock rigth now....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118117

fvbounty
06-06-05, 09:50 AM
Here's a place that have them and they have the video on how to install them (very good company to deal with, just has good as Newegg)....

http://www.xpcgear.com/zmvf700cu.html

j0j081
06-07-05, 05:38 AM
Here's a place that have them and they have the video on how to install them (very good company to deal with, just has good as Newegg)....

http://www.xpcgear.com/zmvf700cu.html
So this is better than the nv5 and a newb to installing stuff like me will be able to figure it out? If yes I'm getting one asap!

mrdak
06-07-05, 09:24 AM
You know guys, Even if you don't change the cooler out for another type or brand,,,, you still should keep it clean. Every couple months I take my entire fan assembly off so I can clean the dust out. The first time I did it, I replaced the goop with AS 5 and that made a world of difference, like nearly 20 degrees cooler. So, You should take the BS dual HSF off of there completely and get a regular HSF or the Zalman. It's extremely easy to do this mod, if you use common sense, and take your time.. Unless you're in a totally dust free environment, "and I doubt that" then get used to doing it, since you should do a regular cleaning anyway.
You can do it brohiem,, I promise.

good luck, and post back when you're finished.... :thumbsup: