PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy GeForce Go mobile cards?

kbradas
06-03-05, 03:08 PM
Hiyas, first post here. Please move if this is not in the right forum.

Anyways, I'm wanting to update my Toshiba Satellite video card (to play better Sims 2!). I currently have a 32MB Ram nVidia Geforce Go4 series (or something like that), and I'd like to purchase a 6600+ Geforce Go card with at least 128MB RAM. I went to the nVidia website and looked under "where to buy products", but none of the sites seem to carry the laptop cards. I've also tried search engines, but keep running around in circles. Anyone know of a store or site that carries the laptop Go cards? Thanks for any help!

-Kristen

jAkUp
06-03-05, 03:10 PM
sorry... the GPU's on laptops are not upgradable yet... the one you have is built onto the motherboard as of now. (I think alienware is the only company selling removable video cards as of now)

kbradas
06-03-05, 03:12 PM
Oh, okay. I feel dumb for asking now. So I guess I'm stuck with what I have until I get a new computer then? Thanks for answering so quickly.

5150 Joker
06-03-05, 07:01 PM
Yes you're stuck with what you have. The only notebooks that have upgradeable video cards are Clevo clones (e.g. Sager, Alienware, Voodoo, Falcon NW) as well as recent Dells (e.g. xps/9100 and the 9300/xps 2 should also support newer cards). Dell uses a proprietary mxm/axiom hybrid but they are pretty good about supporting newer cards - my old inspiron 8100 was even upgradeable.