PDA

View Full Version : H.264 decoding available for nVIDIA?

HighTest
06-03-05, 07:49 PM
ATI's currently crowing about their hardware acceleration support for H.264 the encoding format for future HD-DVD/BlueRay support.

I'm wondering if the G70 is going to support it, or if by stealth we already support it with our GeForce 6 series.

Found mention of H.264 in the technical brief here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_16213.html

What do you think?

DJB
06-04-05, 10:49 AM
Well, Nvidia certainly seems to claim that since the unit that handles Pure Video is programmable, they can add support for H.264 decoding. Given how long it has taken to see Purevideo support at all (new media player patch), and given that certain portions of the acceleration are still "broken" on 6800GT and Ultras, I would not take H.264 support on current 6800 GPUs with a grain of salt. I am sure that Nvidia can slip a little something into a driver, but I suspect they will add the support into their codec and require that you buy that or buy their forthcoming multimedia player upgrade which replaces NVDVD. ATI's solution on their nextgen hardware pay do a better job, but honestly, if they both give good playback, but one uses 60% CPU and the other 85%, who cares? I would think that if you are watching a movie, you are unlikely to be running anything serious in the background.

2cents

DJB

j0j081
06-05-05, 06:44 AM
Regarding their upcoming media player...I already bought the platinum dvd decoder so will I get it for free?

|MaguS|
06-05-05, 06:53 AM
Nvidia will most likly support it considering they are developing the GPU in the PS3 which in turn will be using Blu-Ray, now how long till they support it is the question. The PS3 wont be out till Spring next year and it was stated to be the first usage of Blu-Ray so theres no real reason for Nvidia to include it in the G70 but rather include it in whatever card they release next year.

I don't think HD-DVD is going to take off, it doesn't look to have much backing...

Lemur.fi
06-07-05, 05:21 AM
And I tought that Blue-Ray is only supported by Sony owned studios and Disney. Then again, Sony probably buys studios like MGM just to get wider support for its format.

|MaguS|
06-07-05, 05:58 AM
Um, no... Almost all the big players are supporting Blu-Ray. Even Apple.

http://www.bluraydisc.com/Section-13469/Index.html

Board of Directors

Apple Computer, Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures

Contributors

Almedio Inc.
AudioDev AB
Broadcom Corporation
Canon Inc.
CMC Magnetics Corporation
Coding Technologies GmbH
Cryptography Research Inc.
CyberLink Corp.
DATARIUS Technologies GmbH
Deluxe Media Services Inc.
Digital Theater Systems Inc.
Dolby Laboratories Inc.
Eclipse Data Technologies
Electronic Arts Inc.
Fuji Photo Film Co. Ltd.
Horizon Semiconductor
InterVideo Inc.
Kenwood Corporation
LITE-ON IT Corporation
LSI Logic
MediaTek Inc.
Meridian Audio Ltd.
Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co.Ltd.
Mitsui Chemicals Inc.
Moser Baer India Limited
MX Entertainment
Nero
Optodisc Technology Corporation
Pixela Corporation
Pulstec Industrial Co., Ltd.
Ricoh Co., Ltd.
ShibaSoku Co. Ltd.
Sigma Designs Inc.
Sonic Solutions
Sonopress
Sony BMG Music Entertainment
ST Microelectronics
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Ulead Systems Inc.
Victor Company of Japan, Ltd.
Visionare Corporation
ZOOtech Ltd.
Zoran Corporation

Members

Adobe Systems
Alpine Electronics Inc.
AMC Co. Ltd.
ArcSoft Inc.
Asahi Kasei Microsystems Co., Ltd.
ATI Technologies Inc.
Bandai Visual Co. Ltd.
BenQ Corporation
B.H.A. Corporation
Ciba Specialty Chemicals Inc.
Conexant Systems Inc.
D&M holdings, Inc.
Daewoo Electronics Corporation
Elpida Memory, Inc.
ESS Technology Inc.
Expert Magnetics Corp.
Funai Electric Co., Ltd.
IMAGICA Corp.
Imation Corp.
Infomedia Inc.
Intersil Corporation
Kadokawa Holdings Inc.
Konica Minolta Opto Inc.
Laser Pacific Media Corp.
Lead Data Inc.
LEADER ELECTRONICS CORP
Linn Products Ltd.
LINTEC Corporation
M2 Engineering AB
Memorex Products Inc.
Mitsumi Electric Co., Ltd.
Nan Ya Plastics Corporation
NEXAPM Systems Technology Inc.
Nightjar LLC
Nikkatsu Corporation
NTT Electronics Corporation
nVidia Corporation
Onkyo Corporation
Ono Sokki Co., Ltd.
OPT Corporation
PowerFile
Ritek Corporation
SDI Media America
Shinano Kenshi Co. Ltd.
Singulus Technologies
STEAG ETA-OPTIK GmbH
Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd.,
Targray Technology International Inc.
TEAC Corporation
Teijin Chemicals Ltd.
Toei Video Company Ltd.
Toho Company, Ltd.
Toppan Printing Co., Ltd.
TOPTICA Photonics AG
UmeDisc Ltd.
Unaxis Balzer AG
Yamaha Corporation
Yokogawa Electric Corporation

AthlonXP1800
06-07-05, 09:12 AM
:lol: I find it funny ATI is a member who supported Blue-Ray are in long term partnership with Microsoft for Xbox 360 console that are use HD-DVD. I am not surprised ATI dont have the ass since 2 years ago to persuaded Microsoft to use Blue-Ray format. And also Microsoft buy Apple G5 developer machines who are the director of the board. :lol:

Lemur.fi
06-08-05, 12:41 PM
There is quite a few members in DVD-Forum too. It does not even have to show applicants in the same list.

In any case, it is the movie studios that make or break a HD-format.

|MaguS|
06-08-05, 12:47 PM
AthlonXP1800, Xbox 360 does not use HD-DVDs. It's using Dual Layer DVDs (9.4GBs Max).

AthlonXP1800
06-08-05, 01:20 PM
AthlonXP1800, Xbox 360 does not use HD-DVDs. It's using Dual Layer DVDs (9.4GBs Max).

Hmmm I checked the updated spec and yes it indeed use 12x dual layer DVD-ROM, I am surprised Microsoft dropped HD-DVD out and decided to put in DVD-ROM to cut cost. In around 2 years time, HD games will store over 9Gb data with highest resolution textures.

Osamar
06-08-05, 04:53 PM
AtlonXP1800, I am not so sure. In fact if cinematics are made with game engine, you will have more free space on the DVD. Take a look at the data of any PC game, the biggest game is 1/3 of the capacity of Dual Layer DVDs. And considering we are going to a more "generated" instead of "pregenerated" artistic part in games, I think XBox 360 reader is ok.

And I am not going to buy again my collection of movies in Blu-Ray, in DVD are more than ok.

PD. Please excuse my english.

Demigod
06-09-05, 01:35 PM
:lol: I find it funny ATI is a member who supported Blue-Ray are in long term partnership with Microsoft for Xbox 360 console that are use HD-DVD. I am not surprised ATI dont have the ass since 2 years ago to persuaded Microsoft to use Blue-Ray format. And also Microsoft buy Apple G5 developer machines who are the director of the board. :lol:

x360 does not use hd-dvd. It uses DVD9 (dual layer 8,45 bg discs) same as the Revolution

Holy Smoke
06-09-05, 04:58 PM
AtlonXP1800, I am not so sure. In fact if cinematics are made with game engine, you will have more free space on the DVD. Take a look at the data of any PC game, the biggest game is 1/3 of the capacity of Dual Layer DVDs. And considering we are going to a more "generated" instead of "pregenerated" artistic part in games, I think XBox 360 reader is ok.I'm not quite sure about that. UT2004 and Far Cry are both close to a full dvd in size, almost entirely comprised of game content.