PDA

View Full Version : Apple to use Intel Chips!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

nrs421
06-03-05, 07:21 PM
this is the funniest thing i've heard in a long time.....

Apple Computer plans to announce Monday that it's scrapping its partnership with IBM and switching its computers to Intel's microprocessors, CNET News.com has learned.

Apple has used IBM's PowerPC processors since 1994, but will begin a phased transition to Intel's chips, sources familiar with the situation said. Apple plans to move lower-end computers such as the Mac Mini to Intel chips in mid-2006 and higher-end models such as the Power Mac in mid-2007, sources said.

The announcement is expected Monday at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco, at which Chief Executive Steve Jobs is giving the keynote speech. The conference would be an appropriate venue: Changing the chips would require programmers to rewrite their software to take full advantage of the new processor.

IBM, Intel and Apple declined to comment for this story.

The Wall Street Journal reported plans for the change in May, but analysts were skeptical of its merits.

That skepticism remains. "If they actually do that, I will be surprised, amazed and concerned," said Insight 64 analyst Nathan Brookwood. "I don't know that Apple's market share can survive another architecture shift. Every time they do this, they lose more customers" and more software partners, he said.

Apple successfully navigated a switch in the 1990s from Motorola's 680x0 line of processors to the Power line jointly made by Motorola and IBM. That switch also required software to be revamped to take advantage of the new processors' performance, but emulation software permitted older programs to run on the new machines. (Motorola spinoff Freescale currently makes PowerPC processors for Apple notebooks and the Mac Mini.)

Over the years, Apple has discussed potential deals with Intel and Advanced Micro Devices, chipmaker representatives have said.

The move also raises questions about Apple's future computer strategy. One basic choice it has in the Intel-based PC realm is whether to permit its Mac OS X operating system to run on any company's computer or only its own.

IBM loses cachet with the end of the Apple partnership, but it can take consolation in that it's designing and manufacturing the Power family processors for future gaming consoles from Microsoft, Sony and Ninendo, said Clay Ryder, a Sageza Group analyst.

"I would think in the sheer volume, all the stuff they're doing with the game consoles would be bigger. But anytime you lose a high-profile customer, that hurts in ways that are not quantifiable but that still hurt," Ryder said.
Indeed, IBM has a "Power Everywhere" marketing campaign to tout the wide use of its Power processors. The chips show up in everything from networking equipment to IBM servers to the most powerful supercomputer, Blue Gene/L.

Intel dominates the PC processor business, with an 81.7 percent market share in the first quarter of 2005, compared with 16.9 percent for Advanced Micro Devices, according to Dean McCarron of Mercury Research. Those numbers do not include PowerPC processors. However, Apple has roughly 1.8 percent of the worldwide PC market, he added.

Apple shipped 1.07 million PCs in the first quarter, and its move to Intel would likely bump up the chipmaker's shipments by a corresponding amount, McCarron added.

http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+IBM%2C+switch+to+Intel+chips/2100-1006_3-5731398.html?tag=nefd.lede

MUYA
06-03-05, 07:24 PM
Yay now we can all buy overpriced Intel Apple macs etc etc etc

Son Goku
06-03-05, 07:24 PM
Not to sound like someone who says "old...", and this is a new article. But I thought I had heard something along these lines in the past, and it hadn't, well happened... Because of this, I'm a tad skeptical of the announcement now...

MUYA
06-03-05, 07:42 PM
I tend to trust CNet, News.com more than Inquirer

Cota
06-03-05, 08:12 PM
Every once in a while there's rumors that apple is switching to intel or even AMD.

Now would be the absolutelly WORST time for going intel.

the Mac will be the platform of chioce for developing Xbox 360 and PS3 games which also means that developers can port games to the mac with little effort.

Rather than going intel, Apple should go with the Cell processor.

ew2x4
06-03-05, 08:44 PM
They're putting pressure on IBM, because they're not holding the lead they once had. Only one new cpu this year (2.7 ghz G5).

And the rumors I heard were that Intel would do chips that were smaller, not the regular CPU. But then again who the hell knows anymore. And if they do know, Apple will sue them.

|JuiceZ|
06-03-05, 08:56 PM
:eek::eek::eek: I didn't see this coming....

DaveW
06-03-05, 09:26 PM
They're putting pressure on IBM, because they're not holding the lead they once had. Only one new cpu this year (2.7 ghz G5).

Awww, but what about all the Apple talk of a single 2 ghz G5 being faster than 10 P4s running at 15 ghz?

Kamel
06-03-05, 09:50 PM
Awww, but what about all the Apple talk of a single 2 ghz G5 being faster than 10 P4s running at 15 ghz?

you know, i'm really getting sick of comments like this. not directed just to you, but in general. honestly, i don't think it's mature conversation at all. the whole point of nvnews and other review sites like it are to provide numbers, facts, solid data, which proves or disproves ideas such as this. if that's what you intend to do, then go do it. if not, then please save me the annoyance of making these remarks.

excuse me while i go gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

(incase you all are wondering, i don't have a mac... therefore don't assume i am a macintosh zealot who would naturally want to defend this non-sense. it's not about that at all)

GlowStick
06-03-05, 09:59 PM
Wow, i hope this finally makes mac users realzie that their processors realy do, suck the donkey balls.

:)

ew2x4
06-03-05, 10:21 PM

Wasn't it 1Ghz G5=3Ghz PIII?

oldsk00l
06-03-05, 10:28 PM
It's going to be a PPC ISA chip from Intel, or I won't be buying a Mac in the future.

oldsk00l
06-03-05, 10:29 PM
Wow, i hope this finally makes mac users realzie that their processors realy do, suck the donkey balls.

:)

Tell that to Microsoft.

nVestor
06-03-05, 10:34 PM
I can't stop thinking about the ramifications of this should it be true. :cool:

*Microsoft may actually be loosing market share to Apple OS X

*Dell may be losing business to Apple as a result

*Linux may become even more adopted

*AMD may have a chance getting a deal with Dell now that Intel (if true) basically :nutkick: Dell

Wow, some exciting times. :cool:

Riptide
06-03-05, 10:34 PM
you know, i'm really getting sick of comments like this. not directed just to you, but in general. honestly, i don't think it's mature conversation at all. the whole point of nvnews and other review sites like it are to provide numbers, facts, solid data, which proves or disproves ideas such as this. if that's what you intend to do, then go do it. if not, then please save me the annoyance of making these remarks.Allow me to make an attempt? :angel:

This article compares the G5 2.5/2.7 dual against dual opteron 250 and dual zeon 3.6ghz systems.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=1

The G5 performs well but it's hardly clock for clock significantly faster than the opteron, in fact it's usually a bit slower in many of these tests.

Also, a cinebench result:
http://img64.echo.cx/img64/9990/graph2cinebench1ie.th.jpg (http://img64.echo.cx/my.php?image=graph2cinebench1ie.jpg)

Riptide
06-03-05, 10:36 PM
Now would be the absolutelly WORST time for going intel.Not in the mobile market, which is one area they need help in right now and Intel has a nice solution. :)

But anyway it's not going to happen. I don't believe it.

jAkUp
06-03-05, 10:49 PM
Great... now apple computers will overheat and use technologies that are too premature to even consider... :D :D :D

bkswaney
06-03-05, 10:54 PM
IF this holds true then
the computer market is going
to do some major changing over
the next 24 months. That's for sure.

I think it could be the right move for apple.
Intel is bound to make a rebound soon.

GlowStick
06-03-05, 10:56 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436

good read, however ill summerise

Apples horrible software, combined with worse hardware makes the apple platform, well crap.

To mimics apples graphs, the pc is about 1300% faster than the mac ; )

Riptide
06-03-05, 11:51 PM
I agree w/bkswaney that Intel is not going to stay down forever.

PowerMacs are still overpriced ATM relative to the x86 market. Apple stands to benefit more from Intel mobile solutions than desktop.

oldsk00l
06-03-05, 11:54 PM
I'm pleased with my powermac's performance for what I use it for.

Other than that, it is a crap machine. It won't do gaming, it's not a good movie system. However for an end user environment the crap software comments, you guys can keep the PC's and all its BS. I don't miss the registry one damn bit perpetually getting larger and screwing my system in the ass.

If you get a Mac expecting a number cruncher you're a dumbass.

Riptide
06-03-05, 11:55 PM
The way Apple talks sometimes you'd think it should perform better though oldsk00l. ;)

oldsk00l
06-04-05, 12:10 AM
The way Apple talks sometimes you'd think it should perform better though oldsk00l. ;)

If you went by how Apple talked you'd never have heard of the Opteron, think that the G5 is equivalent to 10 top-of-the-line P4's, and never know that the Darwin kernel sucked at serving.

The article at Anand's was really interesting. What I'd like to see are some G5 Linux and FreeBSD server tests to ratify that OSX sucks as a server (which has been known for a while).

I got OSX for reasons outside of the scope of that article though. Mainly for the bundled apps, development tools, end user experience, and the extra unix tools that come with OSX. Being a former hardcore Gentoo/somewhat hardcore FreeBSD user I really have come to appreciate being able to run things like darwinports, all my bash tools, and apps like ssh.

If I stay PC I miss out on much of that. I stayed x86 mainly hoping that Gnome would get in gear and crank out their cairo implementations but that never happened. KDE is struggling, and I just don't have the same interest in the FOSS anymore that keeps forking and not getting anywhere.

Kamel
06-04-05, 12:14 AM
Allow me to make an attempt? :angel:

This article compares the G5 2.5/2.7 dual against dual opteron 250 and dual zeon 3.6ghz systems.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436&p=1

The G5 performs well but it's hardly clock for clock significantly faster than the opteron, in fact it's usually a bit slower in many of these tests.

Also, a cinebench result:
http://img64.echo.cx/img64/9990/graph2cinebench1ie.th.jpg (http://img64.echo.cx/my.php?image=graph2cinebench1ie.jpg)

thanks for that... but my point wasn't necessarily "is mac as good as they say they are or not"... it's simply to say, it's basically the same thing as fanboism if you just make statements out of the blue with the only obvious intent of them is to aggrevate others', and are generally not based on fact.

like i said, i'm not a mac guy, same thing would apply if it was a video card, sound card, fan... hard drive... you get the idea ;/

Riptide
06-04-05, 08:51 AM
Hmmmm...

http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+IBM,+switch+to+Intel+chips/2100-1006_3-5731398.html?tag=nefd.lede

update Apple Computer plans to announce Monday that it's scrapping its partnership with IBM and switching its computers to Intel's microprocessors, CNET News.com has learned.