AMD Athlon 64 3000 Winchester
Corsair Twinx1024-3200c2p2
Gigabyte GV-NX68t256DH
Seagate 250 SATA
NEC 3520
Mitsumi 404
Antec Sonata 380 watt 16 amp 12v rail
Dell 2405
Does not POST. Monitor reports board asleep. Tried various jumper setting to wake on keyboard or mouse, PS2 and USB. Any advice on where to start swapping parts. Mother board? Power supply? Processor? A cheap pci video card?
Geomort

jAkUp
06-04-05, 12:51 AM
Did you reset the CMOS yet?

Sazar
06-04-05, 01:36 AM
That and also whenever you built just stick your proc, mem and gfx in and see if it posts with your power on. Unplug everything else.

If it posts, go to the next step and so on/so forth.

Its probably a minor thing you have to do, don't fret, it'll work and you'll be on your way :)

Son Goku
06-04-05, 06:16 AM
On the CMOS, sometimes a good long reset (aka 2 minutes on the reset jumper) brings them back alive. When I swapped a CPU on a friend's PII (got a PII 400 and gave him my 333, as he had a 300 Clamath and the thing ran hot), the <insert your own choice words> 440 LX based mobo wouldn't post with either CPU. Holding down on the reset jumper that long brought it back to life even with the new CPU...

On some older systems, I've seen that removing and then plugging the AGP card back in sometimes helps.

Saz's suggestion is good in your case, and in the case of adding hardware back in, do it one at a time until it fails. If saz's suggestion does not work for you, try reseating the AGP card (just in case), and then the memory. I would try the CPU last (as one would have to remove the HSF to get to it, etc)...

BTW, I've had a coupla times in the past, where a system that worked fine for years would exhibit this behaviour, and reseating the AGP card then brought it back to life...

geomort
06-04-05, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the advice. Took out mobo and tried to POST on bench with just mem,processor,video. Reset cmos, pulled battery, reset, tried other known good PS2 keyboard and mouse. One stick of ram in different slots. NO POST. Monday I'll try another mobo from a local shop, then a new processor, them new memory.

BigE4u
06-05-05, 06:56 PM
I bet you anything its your PSU, its too small in terms of power... todays systems require at least 24a on the +12v line. I would highly suggest you get yourself an ENERMAX 460w psu for starters. Newegg \ Enermax 460w (http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103464)

Ninjaman09
06-05-05, 08:29 PM
His PSU is fine. More than likely it is simply an amatuer mistake. Did you install the case mounting screws properly? Did you remember to plug in the molex connector to the video card? Remember to reset your CMOS if you are unsuccessful. It is possible that you have a bad board (a friend of mine recently bought a system that never posted) but most likely there is just something you overlooked.

BigE4u
06-05-05, 10:00 PM
His PSU is fine. More than likely it is simply an amatuer mistake. Did you install the case mounting screws properly? Did you remember to plug in the molex connector to the video card? Remember to reset your CMOS if you are unsuccessful. It is possible that you have a bad board (a friend of mine recently bought a system that never posted) but most likely there is just something you overlooked.

NO, his psu in not alright, its too small for a PCI-E system... by the way, he said he benched the system out of the case so nothing is pressumed to be shorting. Yes, definately make sure you have the 6pin pci-e plug connected into the card assuming your PSU has that connector. If not, get that ENERMAX psu i mentioned, it has more than enough power and ALL the connectors you will need for any ATX and PCI-E system.

jAkUp
06-05-05, 10:06 PM
Yes the powersupply is a little weak, however it definetely should not keep it from starting.