PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry in Open GL

FD76
06-04-05, 02:15 AM
Can Far Cry be run in openGL ? and if so.. how?

jAkUp
06-04-05, 02:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it cannot be run in opengl mode... since it is based around Pixel Shader 2.0/3.0

fivefeet8
06-04-05, 03:06 AM
Actually, there is an OGL render mode in Far Cry. It lacks PS2 level effects though. You can Enable it by editing the system.cfg file in the Far Cry directory.

Look for "r_driver=direct3d9" and change it to "r_driver=OpenGL". Save.

FD76
06-06-05, 03:34 PM
so have you tried it? haven't had much luck yet. doesn't seem to work worth a shiz..

saturnotaku
06-06-05, 03:37 PM
so have you tried it? haven't had much luck yet. doesn't seem to work worth a shiz..

That's because the game wasn't designed to be run that way. Kinda like how UT2004 has an OpenGL mode but no one uses it.

FD76
06-06-05, 05:46 PM
kk.. just checking.. cause i read a few guides when looking for the hdr commands that eluded to it being better for nv cards.. guess they were just assuming that based on nv's being strong in opengl..

OWA
06-06-05, 06:55 PM
Yeah, the readme for Far Cry mentions trying opengl if you're experiencing performance problems and have a GF3 or GF4 card. Initially when I tried this ages ago, it seemed to work a little better than it is working now. Maybe the patches broke opengl or something. I tried it again just a few minutes ago and got lots of black triangles, etc. while moving around. Some places looked really good but in general, it was unplayable.

jolle
06-06-05, 08:33 PM
I think the OpenGL renderer is legacy code from the time when it was X-Isle (http://www.nvidia.com/object/dinoisle.html), a OpenGL techdemo for Geforce3..

Zelda_fan
06-07-05, 07:45 AM
They have an OpenGL renderer however the game looks and runs FAR better in DX9c as the OpenGL renderer lacks the PS effects. I did have a TI4600 however, and I found that OpenGL was the renderer of choice, but for 6xxx series DirectX9c is the best.