PDA

View Full Version : Not Posting

Pages : [1] 2

Clay
06-04-05, 01:20 AM
I have the Albatron K8SLI motherboard. Tonight I just began getting it ready for a clean install of Windows. Everything in my sig below applies except for that I'm back to air cooling for now and have two MSI NX6800 PCI-E cards instead of the 6800U AGP card. Same CPU, memory, etc.

So, initially it was posting just fine and my slipstream XP/SP2 CD was moving along until it hit the point at the initial blue screen config area where it says something about keyboard layout an then it would reboot and start over again with the same result.

So, I changed the BIOS setting to "enable" USB keyboard support (it was disabled). Same result.

Next, I removed the USB keyboard and attached a regular PS/2 keyboard. Now it will not post. I get the initial "no signal" message on my monitor but that is all. The mobo has power, CPU and video card (just have one of them in right now) all power up but the monitor stays dark.

I've cleared the CMOS. I've removed the battery. I've removed RAM, moved it to different bank. I've removed HD, CD, everyhing but proc and vid card, etc. Same result, not posting.

This mobo has ABS card (Albatron BIOS Security) which is basically a very small card with a secondary BIOS chip on it. I've tried using that, same result.

One thing worth noting is that I'm using my Antec 480W (20 pin) PSU and this mobo has the 24 pin ATX power connection. Again though, it powered up just fine and I was in the BIOS earlier with no problems, Windows was installing, etc. The Albatron manual even states that you can use a 20 pin connector, 24 pin connection is not required.

Any other ideas? This has really got me stumped. I've noticed that if I connect the HD or CD drives now that they don't spin up, can't open CD drive door, etc like they aren't getting power at all.

jAkUp
06-04-05, 01:22 AM
Is the board inside a case? Try pulling it out and posting it on the table or somthing...

Clay
06-04-05, 01:27 AM
Yes, it's in my case. I have all of the mounting screws secured but I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

jAkUp
06-04-05, 01:27 AM
Yea, you never know, it could be grounding or something.

Clay
06-04-05, 01:37 AM
Same result out of the case. I tried the VGA and DVI ports, tried the other video card, same result. I'm going to let it sit overnight with the jumper set to clear CMOS and remove the battery as well and try again in the morning.

Clay
06-04-05, 09:04 AM
Well, I let the mobo sit overnight with the CMOS jumper in clear position and the battery was removed. Same result.

Any other ideas?

saturnotaku
06-04-05, 09:09 AM
Yeah, send the board back. Albatrons suck. Had nothing but problems with a P4 board of theirs.

Clay
06-04-05, 09:33 AM
Yeah, send the board back. Albatrons suck. Had nothing but problems with a P4 board of theirs.
You think? Dang, this K8SLI is supposedly a nice mobo. Albatron did go away from the NVIDIA reference design though. This thing is tiny and looks like a BTX form factor more than it does ATX in some ways. The northbridge is directly centered and below the CPU. It's really strange because all was going well until the XP install yacked on the initial keyboard layout step. Since then I cannot get her to post.

NAZCA M12
06-04-05, 09:58 AM
Alright, i don't think it can be of any help at all but here's a little story that happened with a 655 SIS mobo quite some time ago. The thing was brand new and once i assembled it and was ready to start it for the first time and install the OS, it wouldn't post. I tried all the usual tricks (cleared the BIOS/removed the battery, tried to boot with as few peripherals as possible), nothing. After about half an hour i said "**** it, i'm taking this back to the store" and so i did. My buddy there wanted to have a look immediately and while he was connecting the thing to his stuff (monitor, keyboard etc) i left for five minutes to find a proper place to park the car. Upon coming back, to my surprise i saw the thing working and he was already installing my OS. He told me he didn't do anything (which made me look like a moron of course) so i took it back home knowing that the mobo wasn't a dead one, hooked it in, tried to boot, couldn't post. Upon seeing that i phoned him immediately and asked him what the hell did he connect to the system when it worked and so, i found out he had connected amongst others a PS/2 mouse (when mine was a USB one). I used a USB to PS/2 adapter and all of a sudden the cursed thing started working. It turned out to be a bug with the SATA BIOS (i was using a Raptor HD) "blocking" the whole system if a USB mouse was connected.

Clay
06-04-05, 10:19 AM
Thanks NAZCA M12, I've heard of that before. I've tried booting with nothing attached other than the monitor though and still nothing. It might be worth a shot to connect a PS/2 mouse but I don't have one around here anymore. Maybe I'll pick one up and try that.

Clay
06-04-05, 04:00 PM
UPDATE: I swapped out my power supply with a new Antec 480W NeoPower (ATX 12V v2.0 i.e. 24 pin) and that made no difference, still not posting.

jAkUp
06-04-05, 04:02 PM
Sounds like a dead mobo.. heh

Clay
06-04-05, 04:07 PM
Sounds like a dead mobo.. hehWell I get power to my CPU fan, nb fan, vid card, etc so it's not dead in that sense but the BIOS might be borked. What's strange is that the backup BIOS didn't help at all.

Clay
06-04-05, 09:52 PM
For anyone that hasn't seen this Albatron board, here are some pics below. The first pic is of it beside my Gigabyte mobo and the second pic is of the Albatron in my case with the two 6800s installed. Notice that the mobo only takes up two columns of mounting screws, the third column isn't used at all.

It's still not posting though so it's RMA time. I still think this is a good mobo (based on the few reviews out on it so far) and figure that I just got a lemon or bad BIOS.

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/mobo1.jpg

http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/mobo2.jpg

superklye
06-04-05, 09:59 PM
Good luck with the RMA man. I don't trust Albatron because the name is too close to Albotross, which scare me.

jAkUp
06-04-05, 10:13 PM
Strange design on that board... doesn't appear to be MATX, but definetely smaller than ATX

Clay
06-05-05, 12:16 AM
@superklye: Thanks, it's going smoothly. And I think the Albatross must be viewed differently there than here in the states since Albatron's tagline is "Capturing the Spirit of the Albatross".

@jAkUp: Yeah, I read some speculation that Albatron might be using this design as a test of sorts for their future BTX motherboards. The placement of most everything is different but I really liked it. The floppy connector at very top of board is nice and out of the way (though I don't use a floppy anyway). But I did like the layout. I was even able to mount my XP-90 over the northbridge HSF with no problems. The Northbridge HSF is near silent which was nice too for these typicially loud tiny fans.

I'm sure it's a good board. Perhaps the 1.07 BIOS version remedies some things. My version was 1.01 and I'd not had a chance to flash it to 1.07 yet.

jAkUp
06-05-05, 12:35 AM
Yes the albatron board is supposly a very solid board.

Clay
06-05-05, 12:55 AM
Agreed.

I can confirm that my CPU, memory, etc are all fine as I have my Gigabyte motherboard up and running again now and everything is running just as before.

Roliath
06-05-05, 04:51 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/temp/clay/mobo2.jpg

Sorry to be off topic, but i thought you weren't supposed to mount the XP90 with the heat pipes at the "top"

Clay
06-05-05, 07:55 AM
Sorry to be off topic, but i thought you weren't supposed to mount the XP90 with the heat pipes at the "top"Oh that's ok. Where did you hear that about the XP-90? I've mounted it almost every way you can and haven't noticed any big differences either way.

Saintster
06-05-05, 08:38 AM
I had the kx800 754 board..I know it's apples to oranges thing but I hated that board. I went back to Asus.

Saintster
06-05-05, 08:47 AM
Oh that's ok. Where did you hear that about the XP-90? I've mounted it almost every way you can and haven't noticed any big differences either way.

Oh no you nasty man ....mounting heatsinks is this seed for another semen on Geforce type thread :D

Roliath
06-05-05, 02:57 PM
Oh that's ok. Where did you hear that about the XP-90? I've mounted it almost every way you can and haven't noticed any big differences either way.
I read it on the manual that came with XP90

Clay
06-05-05, 04:36 PM
I read it on the manual that came with XP90I must have missed that. I read the PDF manual (http://www.thermalright.com/a_images/pdf/XP-90_K8.pdf) but there is no mention of orientation there. I have used the XP-90 in about any orientation that you can imagine and any temperature differences between another were negligible. It's one of the best sinks I've ever used.