PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking CPU?

Vamp
06-04-05, 08:18 AM
I have an ASUS K8NE-Deluexe mobo and an AMD 64bit 3400+ @2.2ghz, how can I OC it to 2.4ghz? I'm assuming OCing a CPU isnt as simple as doing a 3D Card by simply using some kind of app...

One of the features on the K8NE is something called AI Overclocking or something ot that effect which apparentely easily OCs ram and CPU, but how do I use it and where do I find it?

|MaguS|
06-04-05, 08:25 AM
Never use any form of dynamic OCing which is controlled by your Motherboard, its just to risky. What core is your CPU and what cooler are you running on it?

Vamp
06-04-05, 09:22 AM
I'm using stock and it's running at about 53 cel.

|MaguS|
06-04-05, 09:43 AM
Because its stupid and causes alot of issues. It sometimes could raise the CPU too high for alittle too long and sometimes doesn't get the FSB right. Don't know if this happens on all chipsets but I know the Nforce 3 sucks at it...

Vamp, I wouldn't recommend OCing at all untill you get your temps lower, 53C at Idle is poor. Im 36C currently with a stock cooling and a 400mhz OC. Check your PC, make sure you have a good exhaust and intake in the case. Check also if your CPU Cooler is attached well and that the Thermal compound on is applied properly on the CPU.

Vamp
06-04-05, 12:38 PM
There must be a reason for the high temps then, because everything is working fine! How can I tell if I have if I have a good exhaust in my case? Magnus, how do you manage to get such a low temp with stock cooling? Someone else who has an Asus board told me that they had that same problem and that it was the software reporting incorrectly.

I'm actually remembering that the CPU Fan error arose when I went to a lot of trouble removing a pesky trojan/spyware problem. Could that have messed around with temperature sensoring software?

My CPU fan is apparentely at 4630RPM

I might not have that AMD Cool N Quiet feature enabled... Could this help and how do I enable it?

|MaguS|
06-04-05, 10:23 PM
I have Cool and Quiet disabled because it causes crashes with OCing, You have high temps because you have no thermal compound most likly.

Vamp
06-05-05, 01:02 PM
Hmmm, How can I tell if I have said Thermal Compound?

|MaguS|
06-05-05, 01:27 PM
It comes in a little syringe like container and is labeld Thermal Compound... Popular brand is Artic Silver.

Vamp
06-05-05, 01:34 PM
Yep... Don't have that :p

My PC was built for me with all my parts, so whatever an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ comes with for cooling is what I'm using!

|MaguS|
06-05-05, 01:37 PM
eeewww

Get on newegg and buy some... you can get a small tube that will last you for awhile for less then ten bucks.

Vamp
06-05-05, 04:39 PM
I'm in South Africa, shipping etc etc...Blech!

Is there nothing I can do to cool it down with the stuff I have in there now? I take it there is no problem causing the high temp, it's just a matter of inferior cooling on the CPU's part compared to the other stuff that's out there. Or could there be a major problem? Could dusty fans or other internals be the problem?