PDA

View Full Version : Major Graphics Problem in WoW

Tr1cK
06-04-05, 10:07 AM
So this is what my WoW does after a random amount of time playing. I have to /quit to get out of the game. Any help would be appreciated. Right now I am on the XG 71.89 I think. It has done this through a few different driver revisions for a while now. This is the first time Ive had FRAPS running and capped a screen of it.

anzak
06-04-05, 01:17 PM
Heat and overclocking can do a lot of crazy things. I would try bringing the system down to stock and see if it fixes the problem.

Tr1cK
06-05-05, 09:51 AM
Well my video card never artifacts and it has even more room to o/c, but I don't. This thing is totally random. It just did it again and my card was running only 58 degrees under load. It sees low 60s on hot days in here with no problems anywhere but this random crap in WoW.

PaiN
06-06-05, 05:49 AM
Tr1, I hear ya, but anzak is right...you can't diag. a problem like this when you are OC'd. Set the card back to defaults and unload any backgound apps you're running (like riva tuner etc.). See what happens and report back.

Zelda_fan
06-06-05, 07:44 AM
So this is what my WoW does after a random amount of time playing. I have to /quit to get out of the game. Any help would be appreciated. Right now I am on the XG 71.89 I think. It has done this through a few different driver revisions for a while now. This is the first time Ive had FRAPS running and capped a screen of it.

I play WoW too and I noticed that some of the early 7x.xx drivers (like the 71.89 for example) caused graphical glitches in WoW. I would give the new 77.13 betas a shot as they seem to work great for me.

Tr1cK
06-06-05, 08:38 AM
I have yet to try it at default clocks. I don't recall exactly, but I think the only time I have had this problem has been with XG drivers. I may try an official driver as well as default clocks.

Another thing is, when this happens, I try to alt-tab out to desktop and my primary display goes blank, my secondary display (dualview) becomes my primary and defaults to 4bit graphics. The driver is still shown for the video card in the display tab, but all NV property tabs are gone. The only way I can get out of the game is to blindly type /quit, then everything works fine again after I reload the game. Also, I have seen a 'stutter' as such and have seen the display go haywire for a second, like in my screenshot, then it will go back to normal. I still really dont think it is heat or o/c related. This card has been at this clock and played WoW many hours with no issues before.

GravY
06-06-05, 09:07 AM
do us all a favor and clock the card back to stock..

some games take Oc'ing better than others, one game will run 100% while another wont.. so please try it at stock speeds and see what happens, if it still continues you know you have one possible cause out of the way..

Zelda_fan
06-06-05, 09:32 AM
I have yet to try it at default clocks. I don't recall exactly, but I think the only time I have had this problem has been with XG drivers. I may try an official driver as well as default clocks.

Another thing is, when this happens, I try to alt-tab out to desktop and my primary display goes blank, my secondary display (dualview) becomes my primary and defaults to 4bit graphics. The driver is still shown for the video card in the display tab, but all NV property tabs are gone. The only way I can get out of the game is to blindly type /quit, then everything works fine again after I reload the game. Also, I have seen a 'stutter' as such and have seen the display go haywire for a second, like in my screenshot, then it will go back to normal. I still really dont think it is heat or o/c related. This card has been at this clock and played WoW many hours with no issues before.

Hmm this sounds alot like a heat issue. When the GPU heats up to a certain point you will start seeing artifacts on your display similar to what you posted in your screenshot. You are running a GT @ 410 which is a HUGE overclock. Granted you have a nice cooler (NV5), but that OC is gonna generate some heat. It sounds like what is happening is that you are playing WoW for 5-6 hours and in those 5-6 hours heat is building up in your case. Next time your dispaly goes crazy like that, do an ALT-TAB and immediatly check the temperature monitor in your display properties. I'm willing to bet it is over 80 C.

GravY
06-06-05, 09:45 AM
have the temp screen running in the background also, by the time you alt-tab open properties get to the temp tab the temprature will have dropped by 10 degrees or more.. it drops fast..

Tr1cK
06-06-05, 09:59 AM
Hmm this sounds alot like a heat issue. When the GPU heats up to a certain point you will start seeing artifacts on your display similar to what you posted in your screenshot. You are running a GT @ 410 which is a HUGE overclock. Granted you have a nice cooler (NV5), but that OC is gonna generate some heat. It sounds like what is happening is that you are playing WoW for 5-6 hours and in those 5-6 hours heat is building up in your case. Next time your dispaly goes crazy like that, do an ALT-TAB and immediatly check the temperature monitor in your display properties. I'm willing to bet it is over 80 C.

Ill check my temps when I get home today. It doesn't matter if I play for 5 hours or 5 minutes, this is totally random. Many times I have played for 5+ hours with no issues. Ive ran my gpu temp on my secondary display before and it has never touched 80 degrees even in game.

|MaguS|
06-06-05, 10:06 AM

The GPU doesn't cause artifacts, the RAM does. When a GPU begins to overheat it causes random sluggish performance thats not normal to the game randomly crashing. The texture detail is stored in the RAM and when it overheats the data is curropted and displayed wrong.

An NV5 will be more then enough to keep his OC at a cool level if properly installed, Im oc'd higher then him and never go above 75C with my NV5.

As for your issue, No clue. I have had no issue with the game. Have you tried a clean format?

Tr1cK
06-06-05, 10:48 AM
Im waiting to get some new HDs to replace my aging Maxtor 40s before I do another format/reinstall.

Zelda_fan
06-06-05, 11:31 AM
The GPU doesn't cause artifacts, the RAM does. When a GPU begins to overheat it causes random sluggish performance thats not normal to the game randomly crashing. The texture detail is stored in the RAM and when it overheats the data is curropted and displayed wrong.

An NV5 will be more then enough to keep his OC at a cool level if properly installed, Im oc'd higher then him and never go above 75C with my NV5.

As for your issue, No clue. I have had no issue with the game. Have you tried a clean format?

Technically speaking a GPU overclock can cause artifacts too. Any time an electronic chip overheats, the signals will be processed incorrectly. This means that the pixel color calculation is going to be incorrect, which in turn will casue an artifact. In my experience, RAM overclocking generally causes more artifacts for the reasons you mentioned, but GPU overclocking can do it too. I have played with overclocking my GT some and I have tried OCing the CPU but keeping the RAM at stock. With high enough OCs my GPU has heated up to 90+ C, and at those temps games WILL start to crash and artifact.

Tr1cK
06-06-05, 05:43 PM
Im trying the 77.13 drivers now. I just ran 3dmark03 and the max temp was 76 for a second, but mostly maxed at 74-75. Ambient was maxed at 47-48. I will try WoW in a bit.

Played WoW for 30 mins smoother than it was before. I am still waiting for the crazy stuff to happen.

Zelda_fan
06-07-05, 07:32 AM
Your previous drivers might of had the temperature bug in it. The 77.13's are a good set and your temps are normal, and hopefully your problems will go away.

Tr1cK
06-07-05, 08:11 AM
My temps are the same as before and I have never suffered from the temp bug because I have always been o/c.

EciDemon
06-07-05, 06:56 PM
They guys here are defanatly right about different games have different limits when OCing.

I used to always stay on the edge of what my card could handle thus I got random lockups and artifacts in some games while others worked just fine.

Eq2 is a very good example, that game does not stress the Gpu even so its very sensitive to my OC, I some times get lockups even when im not even near what I know my card can handle.

So I just decided not to OC any more while playing Eq2, the OC didnt do anything for the game anyhow.