PDA

View Full Version : Missing HUD for ammo

Acid Rain
06-04-05, 11:57 PM
I have searched around and found nothing mentioned about this.

My ammo display is missing from the bottom, apparently broken by a recent update. I thought I had this fixed by starting a new game. Well, I am in Route Kanal and noticed my HUD is gone again. Health suit energy display as normal, but nothing gun ralated.

What's up with this? Anyone else with this issue? If so, how do you fix it, or do I have to reinstall HL2 and hope for the best?

Oh, and yes, I do have a pistol in my possesion, fully loaded and ready to rock. And, the hud was there at first.

|MaguS|
06-05-05, 12:23 AM
Yeah I recently got this issue aswell, It looks like the issue HL2DM had when it first released.

OWA
06-05-05, 01:08 AM
Can you get it back if you toggle it off and then back on through the console?

cl_drawhud 0
cl_drawhud 1

|MaguS|
06-05-05, 01:17 AM
Funny thing, Its working again. LOL

Didn't have to do anything, loaded the game and all was fine and dandy...

Acid Rain
06-05-05, 02:41 AM
Can you get it back if you toggle it off and then back on through the console?

cl_drawhud 0
cl_drawhud 1I tried it, but it didn't work.

However, as Magus said, it magically came back again! Then, I changed AA in game and it dissappeared again. Turning up AA back to 4x didn't fix it though, and neither did turning it off all-together, so I am HUD-less again:lol: I am assuming it'll come back again at some oddball moment, but I'll be so used to not having a clue about my ammo that I probably won't even notice :D

At first I thought I'd fixed it by starting the new game, since it came back, but then the above happened, so I geuss this issue is totally intermittent.

Don't worry about it guys, maybe I'll just keep a running total of all the ammo pickups I snag. :D I can just scratch a notch on my desk every time I pick up a clip :p

Thanks for the replies!

CaptNKILL
06-05-05, 04:58 PM
It happens to me when changing resolution. The game has always done this since I've had it. Any time you change the resolution in the game without quitting and restarting the game, the hud will have messed up letters and the ammo readout will be gone.

Acid Rain
06-05-05, 06:35 PM
It happens to me when changing resolution. The game has always done this since I've had it. Any time you change the resolution in the game without quitting and restarting the game, the hud will have messed up letters and the ammo readout will be gone.So, it boils down to: Just set up the options at first, exit the game, start it back up, and don't change graphics options again.

I'll test when I get home.

CaptNKILL
06-05-05, 07:12 PM
So, it boils down to: Just set up the options at first, exit the game, start it back up, and don't change graphics options again.

I'll test when I get home.
Yeah thats what I do. Its probably why Doom 3 requires a restart to change res, never really thought about it till now, but I guess if you have to do it anyway, the game might as well require it.

superklye
06-05-05, 07:34 PM
I had a lot of issues with the HL2 HUD when I was using newer beta drivers. I don't remember the numbers, but pretty much everything above 71.89 gave me crap.

Acid Rain
06-06-05, 03:25 PM
Blastaforkin double post.

Acid Rain
06-06-05, 03:33 PM
O.K. I've got it working now. So graphics options=no touchies.

Actually, though, I think it's gonna retire early. Steam has just started to give me issues, and doesn't feel like letting me play everytime. I was unscathed whilst others complained, and now the badness has finally caught up with me as well. Add that to occasional full system lockups (an Source exclusive, on my machine) and you've got the recipe for a permanent HL2 banning.

Well, I geuss I am done with this. I have many "friendly" titles that want some love.

Thanks guys! Maybe someone else can benefit from our vague findings.

killahsin
06-06-05, 06:26 PM
i backed off the 71.89 drivers because they cause issues in alot of my games. Right now im using the 76.45 whql betas. They fixed my rome total war world map lag as well as the thief 3 crash blue screen. Not tested in game in hl2 yet but, i will and let yah know how they work, just in case u want to give therm a try.

edit: They also work fine in hl2, and i changed resolutions in game, no hud bug. No crashes either.

AngelGraves13
06-08-05, 02:08 AM
HL2's hud bug is just plain stupid. Same with DOOM 3. Why it can't do a quick video reset, I'll never understand.

Acid Rain
06-08-05, 04:09 PM
HL2's hud bug is just plain stupid. Same with DOOM 3. Why it can't do a quick video reset, I'll never understand.Well, at least with Doom, they had the curtesy to TELL you to restart the game.

Killishan, thanks for your efforts in here. I really like the 71.89s, and will not migrate because of one buggy game. I've retired it, for many reasons. The more I learn about the engine and steam, the more paranoid I get even having it sit on my system. I just don't trust Valve at all, especially not with my NV based system. Who knows what they might "accidentally" do to my setup with a steam update. Bleh.

killahsin
06-08-05, 06:53 PM
hehe i understand your concerns but i dont think valve is going to accidentally do somthing to your setup when a vast majority of their customers have nv based systems hehe. Lots of good mods coming out by the winter, so maybe you will change your mind. But i would get used to net and hardware 'aware' games because thats the way most developers are going. More stability easier more customized patching etc. Allows developers to scale the engine further for those whom have the hardware to support it, and scale it down for those whom don't. Without you having the extra bloat on your system. But what im telling you is the hud bug seems to be driver related not game related. Since a simple change of drivers took it away. Regardless i do understand what your saying and i wish yah good luck =)