PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GT OC Problem

TheAquaticApe
06-05-05, 08:14 AM
I just reformatted last week and this week I'm already having problems. I first noticed this when I DL'ed the Area 51 Demo, after a bit of play I got a purple screen, it kinda looked like a buncha 8-bit bars from an old Atari game, them the green light on my monitor went orange and my card lights turned off. So I immediatley shutdown my comp and then hit the on/off switch on the PSU and it booted up fine. I dismissed this as a problem with the demo at first, but then just this morning I was enjoying some HL2 for a bit and then the same exact problem.

Specs:
AMD64 3200+ @ 2.00Ghz
Asus K8N-E Deluxe Motherboard
2x512 PC3200 Corsair Ram
BFG 6800GT OC w/ 71.89 Drivers

The only that has changed for me recently is I am using a 17in tube monitor cause my 17in flatscreen died on me. Is it possible that's an issue? Or overheating perhaps? Any responses would be great.

MUYA
06-05-05, 08:21 AM
bars? hmm that sounds like the card may be damaged. Dude try the card on another machine and see if it shows the same symptoms or alternately try the mon on another computer so u can find out what indeed is truly borked.

Kojiro
06-05-05, 01:45 PM
It's sound almost identical to a problem with my brother's X800pro. Just that he got weird lines on the loggin screen, and the monitor went in to power save mode.

All i did was change the power supply. He was using a generic one (starlogic 400 watt) though it was working fine for a long time, so I am not so sure if it realy was the root of the problem. He is using a 430 antec now. He has not come across that problem yet (knocks on wood)

also get latest drivers for vid card, motherboard chipset, and audio. these thing will help you get the best performance out of games. Don't forget patches as well.

Also installing an antivirus and anti spyware will be a big plus.

j0j081
06-06-05, 04:38 AM
It's sound almost identical to a problem with my brother's X800pro. Just that he got weird lines on the loggin screen, and the monitor went in to power save mode.

All i did was change the power supply. He was using a generic one (starlogic 400 watt) though it was working fine for a long time, so I am not so sure if it realy was the root of the problem. He is using a 430 antec now. He has not come across that problem yet (knocks on wood)

also get latest drivers for vid card, motherboard chipset, and audio. these thing will help you get the best performance out of games. Don't forget patches as well.

Also installing an antivirus and anti spyware will be a big plus.
Sorry but installing AV and antispyware doesn't really have anything to do with video card problems. Win crashes yeah...

saberz
06-09-05, 12:16 PM
I am using the same drivers as you and had the same issue. I was trying to run it at 400/ 1100 like I normally do and got that during video playback. I downclocked the card and it seems fine now. Only other time I had this happen was due to there being an excessive amoutn of dust in the HS/Fan of the GPU. Might want to try cleaing it out. I myself am going to be doing that when I go home.

TheAquaticApe
06-12-05, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I just tested it out at a friends house last night on a diff monitor, played HL2 for like an hour and 30 mins and played the bf2 demo for about an hour and had no problems, so right now we think its this old monitor I am using since my 17'' flatscreen bit the dust, we're not 100% but I'm gonna get a new mon soon and then keep playing to see if it happens again. I'll keep you updated if I find out anything further.

MUYA
06-12-05, 09:12 AM
Good to hear thatyour card wan't borked. Do please keep us posted as regards to how the card does on your new monitor

Cota
06-12-05, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I just tested it out at a friends house last night on a diff monitor, played HL2 for like an hour and 30 mins and played the bf2 demo for about an hour and had no problems, so right now we think its this old monitor I am using since my 17'' flatscreen bit the dust, we're not 100% but I'm gonna get a new mon soon and then keep playing to see if it happens again. I'll keep you updated if I find out anything further.

Monitors don't "crash", so its nots the monitor. probably dust on the card or slot, reseat the card to see if it works, if not you can clean it using isopropyl alcohol.

MUYA
06-12-05, 09:36 AM
He already stated in teh first post what happened..he is using an old monitor.

He also didn't say his monitor crashed.