PDA

View Full Version : CPU is burning up... what happened?!

Jamin
06-05-05, 07:03 PM
So, I just got back from a two week vacation, wherein my computer was turned off for the entire time. I get back and turn it on, play with it all day, think nothing of it. Then I am awakened the next morning with the temperature alarm on the motherboard going off (75 celcius). Kinda freaks me out, but I thought maybe it was a fluke or something. I turn the computer off, let it sit for awhile and think about what it's done, then turn it back on. Again, while I'm using it, no big deal, I don't notice anything weird. But the next morning, again, the temp alarm starts beeping. This has been after it's idling for 8 hours while I've been asleep. So I get weirded out, and install a temperature monitor thingy on it. And it was generally sitting up at around 65c or higher most of the time. Definitely not good at all.

The CPU fan is still spinning, all the case fans are doing their job, nothing out of the ordinary that I can see, but for some reason as soon as I came back from vacation everything started getting really hot. I reinstalled the HSF with more arctic silver, hoping maybe that it had just gotten old and useless (it had, and there were scorch marks on the underside of the cooler). It's still running hot, though, even with a brand new coat of AS on it (new AS brought it down to about 60-62c). Finally I bought a big personal fan thingy from Walmart, and just took the case door off and set the fan to blow into the computer - now it's running at 44c. Even still, though, that seems pretty warm considering it's got a 12 inch fan blowing straight onto it - and obviously, it's really loud.

So here's my question... given that no settings were ever changed, this isn't overclocked, all fans are still running, everything seems normal... is it possible that the mobo or CPU is just in the process of dying, and causing it to run really hot? The stuff is pretty old - Abit NF7-M, AthlonXP 2000, and the Vantec Aeroflow fan is the cooler. The air conditioner in our apartment is turned to about 75 farenheit, which is sorta warmish... would that have anything to do with it?

Does stuff get hotter when it starts to die? Is it just time to spring for a new CPU/mobo? Would getting a new HSF suffice?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

---Jamin

Nutty
06-05-05, 07:18 PM
Sounds like it could be case airflow problem. With fresh air from your big fan its keeping cool, perhaps it just isn't getting a good intake of air into the case ?

Vamp
06-05-05, 07:25 PM
Yeah, same thing is happening with me! I have a thread somewhere in this forum as well! How can we improve air flow in the case? Could dusty fans and other internals be the problem?

CaptNKILL
06-05-05, 07:50 PM
Just an idea, but most of the overheating problems I have had in the past were caused by a clogged heatsink. Take apart that Aeroflow and make sure the heatsink fins arent packed with dust. If you already did this, I really dont know what could be causing it.

Also, what are your case temps without that extra fan running? 44C sounds about right for a CPU like that on a hot day, so maybe your case is just poorly ventilated and needs some extra fans or needs cleaned out.

EDIT: Also, check for any cables (especially ribbon cables) that might be obstructing air flow.

Jamin
06-05-05, 08:11 PM
Just an idea, but most of the overheating problems I have had in the past were caused by a clogged heatsink.

That one is entirely possible! West Texas is really dusty. I'll try that and see what happens.

As for case air flow, I've got most of the cables taped up so they're not interfering with the case fans. The case has two front intake fans, and one rear exhaust fan, all 80mm. But I'll give everything I good cleaning with some canned air and see if that clears stuff up a little.

As long as I don't have to buy a new mobo/cpu. I was planning on building myself a little SFF box to use as a fileserver, and buying new guts for my big computer would have definitely put those plans on hold for awhile.

Thanks much, all.

---Jamin

Bill The Cat
06-06-05, 12:08 AM
It could just be the thermal diode borked itself while you were gone. Don't know if that is possible or not, but that would account for consistently off temperatures.

I've had thermal diodes I know are very off on some of my boards, though whether it can recalibrate itself for the worse in a few days is something I'm not so sure about.

CaptNKILL
06-06-05, 12:31 AM
It could just be the thermal diode borked itself while you were gone. Don't know if that is possible or not, but that would account for consistently off temperatures.

I've had thermal diodes I know are very off on some of my boards, though whether it can recalibrate itself for the worse in a few days is something I'm not so sure about.
Yeah this makes sense too. My advice would be to check the temps with another thermal sensor (not sure where to get one... if your case or board has a seperate one, use it). Maybe stick it in the heatsink or something to see if its even close. If its more than 5C off, your thermal sensor is probably messed up.

If thats the case, just turn up the CPU warning temp in the BIOS. My old NF7-S had some temp issues that were mostly solved by increasing this temp (though having an insecure heatsink made the alarm go off too, even though the temps were fine).

Lfctony
06-06-05, 04:11 AM
Clogged heatsink fins can cause a lot of probems. I had my temps rise by 15C on my retail AMD sink at a time(temp kept rising over a year but I hadn't noticed), the CPU was actually locking up. I checked the temps, system crashed at 67C, while I remembered running the CPU when I first got it at 52C. I changed to an all copper heatsink and clean the PC from dust at regular intervals.

Summers in Cyprus are pretty hot, temps tend to rise to 45C. I have to be prepared. :)