PDA

View Full Version : Project Offset game & tech video

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
06-05-05, 07:59 PM
Project Snowblind ?? pffft . no this game has nothing to do with it by any means.

Project Offset is a first epic fantasy FPS. it uses the all new Offset Engine.
the little gameplay shown in the video looks absolutely stunning ... man i'm hyped!

Offset Engine info (http://www.projectoffset.com/technology.html)
sneak peak video & very little in-game footage (http://www.projectoffset.com/media/project_offset_june_2005.wmv)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=11945&stc=1

LT.Schaffer
06-05-05, 08:19 PM
Looks Awesome :clap:

Intel17
06-05-05, 08:52 PM
Amazing. That engine is a serious contender technologically in my book :)

jAkUp
06-05-05, 09:21 PM
OMG That looks incredible!

Intel17
06-05-05, 09:22 PM
OMG That looks incredible!

Yeah, they just need Epic's artists and it'd be amazing ;)

Oh, and Jakup, check your PM.

jAkUp
06-05-05, 09:29 PM
Yeah, they just need Epic's artists and it'd be amazing ;)

Oh, and Jakup, check your PM.

:type:

demonized
06-05-05, 10:21 PM
look like a dwarf from a WOW cinematic. but looks great.

Intel17
06-06-05, 05:19 AM
This engine literally does everything JC talked about for his next engine, plus a little more! ;)

SH64
06-06-05, 08:14 AM
This engine literally does everything JC talked about for his next engine, plus a little more! ;)

I think the Offset Engine can be a serious contender to UE3 .. if they keep working on it hardly & dont just lay it off after a while. just like how Cry engine surprised us & before HL2/Doom3 engine & games make it to the consumer.
i'm interested to see more of the in-game action to see how things goes with the engine implementation.

Bad_Boy
06-06-05, 10:34 AM
anybody notice when the guy got shot by the arrow, he actually grabbed the arrow before he fell? pretty cool stuff

|MaguS|
06-06-05, 10:52 AM
Honestly, Im not impressed at all. The game demo part was so short it really didn't show off the potential of the engine and the tech demo part looked like applications done in Maya/3DMax so it could look great there but suck in the final product.

Im gonna wait till I see more of the actual game or atleast a game engine tech demo like UE did.

Bad_Boy, the whole death sequence can be scripted. Just like in Goldeneye when you shoot a guy in the nuts they grab them before dying.

Bad_Boy
06-06-05, 11:01 AM
Bad_Boy, the whole death sequence can be scripted. Just like in Goldeneye when you shoot a guy in the nuts they grab them before dying.
I suppose, but you dont see that much in games anymore. he grabbed the exact spot where he was hit, if he was shot in the arm or leg would he do the same thing and still look realistic?

|MaguS|
06-06-05, 11:09 AM
Yup, It's done in many games. Like I mentioned, Goldeneye on the N64 had enemies react to where they were shot. I think the raindbow six series does this aswell.

Arcade style shooters rarely do it due to the game pace being so fast.

OWA
06-06-05, 11:18 AM
Man, that looks great! I wonder if they have a projected release date? I hate getting really excited about something and then find out it won't be released for like another year or so.

killahsin
06-06-05, 11:35 AM
I suppose, but you dont see that much in games anymore. he grabbed the exact spot where he was hit, if he was shot in the arm or leg would he do the same thing and still look realistic?

Yes you can script based on your hitboxes all of that to look realistic. It's all about your animators. Let me give you guys an idea here. Right now things kinda suck, compared to what were going to see for next gen.

Next gen isn't just a graphics jump. It's an everything of sorts jump. Alot of things you couldn't quite do before are going to be done now. Things like way better ik animations since this stuff can be offloaded to a secondary cpu, or a physics processor. Which is going to give developers more room to implement much more complex shaders, better ai(alot better look at oblivion). Subsurface scattering is somthing cg guys have been begging for, for a long long time. That is the difference in characters between the plastic look we have now(although valve has some good skin shaders), and the stuff you see in unreal 3.0/project offsets tech demo. This is sorta the reason why you see alot of pubs/small devs complaining about the costs to develop. More shaders more texturing more animating more scripting more physics(alot more) larger particle systems, better lighting better shadows. The list goes on and on. So as much as we tend to look at things from a now perspective. which tends to make us say "no way you can't do that, its got to be pre rendered" etc. tommorow is going to be a much more interesting place. After this generation your one generation away from merging the movie industry and the game industry. Literally for this next gen most assets are being developed by movie cg studios. Those teams that used to sit and do the cg only stuff are now working in engines.

Btw project offset looks to be sweet, much luck to them getting a proper pub and funding.

Edit: OWA i wouldnt expect them to have a projected release date until they are sure they can secure funding. So probably not.

|MaguS|
06-06-05, 11:53 AM
Yes you can script based on your hitboxes all of that to look realistic. It's all about your animators. Let me give you guys an idea here. Right now things kinda suck, compared to what were going to see for next gen.

Next gen isn't just a graphics jump. It's an everything of sorts jump. Alot of things you couldn't quite do before are going to be done now. Things like way better ik animations since this stuff can be offloaded to a secondary cpu, or a physics processor. Which is going to give developers more room to implement much more complex shaders, better ai(alot better look at oblivion). Subsurface scattering is somthing cg guys have been begging for, for a long long time. That is the difference in characters between the plastic look we have now(although valve has some good skin shaders), and the stuff you see in unreal 3.0/project offsets tech demo. This is sorta the reason why you see alot of pubs/small devs complaining about the costs to develop. More shaders more texturing more animating more scripting more physics(alot more) larger particle systems, better lighting better shadows. The list goes on and on. So as much as we tend to look at things from a now perspective. which tends to make us say "no way you can't do that, its got to be pre rendered" etc. tommorow is going to be a much more interesting place. After this generation your one generation away from merging the movie industry and the game industry. Literally for this next gen most assets are being developed by movie cg studios. Those teams that used to sit and do the cg only stuff are now working in engines.

Btw project offset looks to be sweet, much luck to them getting a proper pub and funding.

Edit: OWA i wouldnt expect them to have a projected release date until they are sure they can secure funding. So probably not.

Most of what you stated about nextgen can be done currently, Shiny characters happen because of the engine and artists. HL2 does not suffer this and so doesn't any Unreal Engines. The Doom3 engine probably could aswell if they didn't use low ass poly characters.

AI is not restricted to technology but rather how smart the coders can implement it and hide the fake aspects. It will be a long time till we get any REAL AI, No game has actual thinking characters but rather a prepogrammed command on situations (or scripts if you wana call it that). It can only currently get better if the programmers take the time to think of more situations and also hide the dumb aspects.

Graphics is the only thing nextgen could really bring in, with better technology developers will be able to show more off and have more things going on at the same time. Right now were limited on the graphics capabilites and the amount of interaction or things displayed at the same time.

killahsin
06-06-05, 12:03 PM
er i don't think games will ever have real ai. And yes most of what i stated can be done this gen, but there are going to be alot of advancements in all departments rather then just the visual one. Thats basically all i was saying. And Ai is restricted by the cpu. When you offload ai/ik to their own processor, you free up alot of room, and also allow for alot more depth.

SlamDunk
06-08-05, 06:45 AM
Maybe PPUs and multicore CPUs will eventually allow the birth of separate 'AI engines' (licensed ones and in-house) and then perhaps also an AIPU. We'll see...

jAkUp
06-08-05, 10:17 AM
Maybe PPUs and multicore CPUs will eventually allow the birth of separate 'AI engines' (licensed ones and in-house) and then perhaps also an AIPU. We'll see...

Hmmm.. AI engine... Thats a very interesting idea :)

SlamDunk
06-08-05, 03:35 PM
Hmmm... how appropriate :D

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8461/BioGraphics-AIimplant-SDK-to-Support-Xbox-360-Platform/

Toss3
06-08-05, 03:40 PM
Now I'm starting to understand why that one guy got semen on his graphicscard(with the case open of course), cuz' that just looked amazing! :eek:

EDIT: When I watched it again, the graphics actually reminded me of Killzone... maybe Killzone:like graphics ain't that far away after all :cool:

SlamDunk
08-08-05, 08:04 AM
Just noticed that sneak peek video 2 is online now! I just LOVE the look of this :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.projectoffset.com/downloads.html

|MaguS|
08-08-05, 08:10 AM
Well lets hope they get some funding or a good publisher because without it the game wont get the support it needs to survive, using donations and T-Shirt sales will only take it so far.

EDIT: You know what I noticed, they are saying thats its the first Epic Fantasy FPS but technically, Drakan was/could be considered an FPS since you could go into First Person mode and play the entire game in it...

CaptNKILL
08-08-05, 08:48 AM
Well lets hope they get some funding or a good publisher because without it the game wont get the support it needs to survive, using donations and T-Shirt sales will only take it so far.

EDIT: You know what I noticed, they are saying thats its the first Epic Fantasy FPS but technically, Drakan was/could be considered an FPS since you could go into First Person mode and play the entire game in it...
There have been a lot of Fantasy FPS games... Witchhaven 1&2, Hexen 1&2, Heretic 1&2. Sure those are all really old, but still ;)

|MaguS|
08-08-05, 08:51 AM
Well none of those are Epic (in size, Thats what I believe they are claiming), they all take place in small levels. Drakan is the only one I can recall that has a massive world to explore at will, no restrictions minus some doors that can only be opened with a key or quest access.