PDA

View Full Version : Three Monitors (1 AGP 1 PCI card)

bkuhn
06-07-05, 12:04 PM
Hi guys,

I have an AGP XFX 6600GT. I am attempting to convince Windows to let me use three monitors, but for some reason I get a "device will not start" error whenever I put a PCI graphics card in the system. I have tried 6 known working PCI cards--some of which are known to work in a similar setup using an ATI card. I have tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers in the event they were conflicting, but I got the same problem. Any ideas?

Gator
06-07-05, 12:11 PM
go to your BIOS and set the primary display adapter as PCI

Trust me, that will fix it, and in windows you can easily set the AGP card back as Primary. It needs that BIOS setting to assign an IRQ for the PCI video card.

bkuhn
06-07-05, 12:42 PM
go to your BIOS and set the primary display adapter as PCI

Trust me, that will fix it, and in windows you can easily set the AGP card back as Primary. It needs that BIOS setting to assign an IRQ for the PCI video card.

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight

I just can't understand why these cards worked on (more or less) an identical setup--the only differance being that the other PC had a radeon 9800XT without having to use the PCI card as default. The motherboards are even the same.

bkuhn
06-07-05, 02:50 PM
I wonder what my linux install is gonna think of that...
only one way to find oue :D

bkuhn
06-09-05, 12:22 AM
well, I gave that a shot and fscking windows wouldn't boot up...It just sat there at the splash screen. Think it's time for a re-install?

Annihlist
06-09-05, 12:30 AM
I format every 2 weeks it isn't that hard :). I do it just for fun :retard:

bkuhn
06-09-05, 10:46 AM
I know how that goes, however I haven't formatted in almost 2 months and was hoping for a new record :thumbdwn:

I guess the other option is delete my windows partition and just use linux...
On second thought, I think I like my games a little too much for that.

Gator
06-09-05, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you, but that should have fixed it. I know you mentioned trying a couple different PCI cards, but did you try other PCI slots as well?

bkuhn
06-09-05, 10:08 PM
Yep, I've tried that too. I'm gonna re-install windows. It's acting like...well, windows. Anyway, I'll let you know what happens

Gator
06-10-05, 08:55 AM
I just got another idea... how are you on resources? Maybe the PCI video cards want an IRQ that's unavailable or overly shared. I know sounds silly, I'm just trying to brainstorm and theorize at this point... but maybe you should go to the BIOS and disable all onboard device you don't need. For example I turn off all serial, parallel, game, and midi ports to save resources.

See I can't understand why you're having these troubles. I used to have a GF4TI AGP & GF2MX PCI working together with no problems.

bkuhn
06-10-05, 09:40 AM
Well, I'm sure it's a driver conflict now. I installed Windoze using the PCI card as the primary adaptor. Windows installed and ran without a hitch until I attempted to install the nvidia drivers. As soon as the driver was initialized, I got a black screen with a cusror--just like when WinXP crashed on bootup. Does anybody know of any alternative drivers that support multiple monitors (and video cards :) )

Gator
06-10-05, 10:01 AM
Well, I'm sure it's a driver conflict now. I installed Windoze using the PCI card as the primary adaptor. Windows installed and ran without a hitch until I attempted to install the nvidia drivers. As soon as the driver was initialized, I got a black screen with a cusror--just like when WinXP crashed on bootup. Does anybody know of any alternative drivers that support multiple monitors (and video cards :) )

Eh??? Nvidia Forceware drivers have always supported multi-monitor setups. In fact they have a whole set of features for it called Nview, it's really quite excellent I have dual LCD's myself.

But I think it helps to have all your video cards have an Nvidia GPU. What PCI card(s) are you using?

bkuhn
06-10-05, 10:06 AM
well, I intend to buy this card as soon as i get my next paycheck:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139166

Hopefully that will solve the problem. In the mean time, I am attempting to use an ATI Rage II+, some Trident card, and a couple of ancient S3 cards.

Gator
06-10-05, 10:14 AM
well, I intend to buy this card as soon as i get my next paycheck:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139166

Hopefully that will solve the problem. In the mean time, I am attempting to use an ATI Rage II+, some Trident card, and a couple of ancient S3 cards.

AH HA!!! You never told me you were using those old PCI cards. I think that's your problem right there, I had trouble getting an old S3 PCI card to work as well with an Nvidia AGP card.

My advice, buy the cheapest Nvidia PCI card you can find and it'll solve your problems.