PDA

View Full Version : monitor power saving sometimes won't work!!

gram_vaz
06-07-05, 01:12 PM
this is something that has followed me in win2k and winxp and over several nvidia driver versions. i have monitor shut off power saving to turn off after 10minutes but sometimes it won't work! when i leave my computer on i have peace of mind that power saving will turn off the monitor after 10minutes of inactivity but sometimes it won't turn off. i don't like having my monitor on for hours on end when no one's using it. anyone have this problem? how do i fix it?

saturnotaku
06-07-05, 01:23 PM
how do i fix it?

Push the power button when you leave?

gram_vaz
06-07-05, 01:30 PM
but i don't like doing that. i didn't have this powersaving problem until i got nvidia. sometimes i leave the room without knowing i won't be back for a long time. this powersaving feature is such an elemantary part of windows i just don't know why it won't friggin' work.

Acid Rain
06-07-05, 06:41 PM
when i leave my computer on i have peace of mind that power saving will turn off the monitor after 10minutes of inactivity but sometimes it won't turn off. i don't like having my monitor on for hours on end when no one's using it. anyone have this problem? how do i fix it?What program do you run right before it doesn't shut off the monitor? You should try and remember. I have had certain 3d apps keep the monitor from powering down automatically even after the app was closed. What were they....??? I can't remember...damn....

Oh, you know what? It was when I only had 512mb of ram. That's right. Some programs would suck it all up, and even after closing them, power saving functions wouldn't initialize. It acted like it "forgot" about it! To ensure that power saving would work, I had to open the power schemes window and simply click "ok". Even though I didn't change anything, it would make power saving work properly.

gram_vaz
06-07-05, 06:43 PM
To ensure that power saving would work, I had to open the power schemes window and simply click "ok". Even though I didn't change anything, it would make power saving work properly.yea! that's exactly what i used to have to do to make it work.

though it seems like i've got it all sorted out now.

Acid Rain
06-07-05, 06:45 PM
Excellent. Enjoy your rig!

AngelGraves13
06-08-05, 03:03 AM
My friend's rig with an ATi card does the same thing. Its usually a program that causes this...most likely an antivirus program. 8/10 times it works fine.

gram_vaz
06-10-05, 03:19 AM
damn it. now the monitor will go to sleep but it will turn on at random... freaks me out at night when i leave the computer on downloading something and all of a sudden the monitor will turn on by itself.

Acid Rain
06-10-05, 05:13 AM
damn it. now the monitor will go to sleep but it will turn on at random... freaks me out at night when i leave the computer on downloading something and all of a sudden the monitor will turn on by itself.
Have your reinstalled your OS since the new card? Maybe you've got a quirky install that needs to be redone. If you haven't, I'd recommend it. I'd almost put money on a fresh install fixing your problem, if it hasn't been done yet.

Also, I wonder if your mouse is flaking out, and sending a movement signal from time to time whether you move it or not.

gram_vaz
06-10-05, 04:27 PM
Have your reinstalled your OS since the new card? Maybe you've got a quirky install that needs to be redone. If you haven't, I'd recommend it. I'd almost put money on a fresh install fixing your problem, if it hasn't been done yet.like i said, this is something that has followed me in win2k and winxp. and i h8 reformatting. i'll try the tip the other guy gave as it might be caused by anti-virus and turn off mcaffee.

Also, I wonder if your mouse is flaking out, and sending a movement signal from time to time whether you move it or not.
yea, i've actually considered this. i'm in need of a new mouse and keyboard anyway so i'll get a new one(nice excuse to get the logitech duo :D ).