PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800GT OC Temp Problems

StoNer
06-07-05, 04:38 PM
Ok i got this card as a replacement a few months ago and it was running fine at like 58 idle 60-70 or so at load.

But now even clocked down to lower than stock it heats up like crazy!

I alt tabbed out of WoW and it was at 107 degrees!! 107!!!!

All my case fans are working the ambient temp says like 55 which is normal and the cards fan is working.

I took the card out and cleaned it up real good and made sure the heatsink was still on tight but its still saying 98 degrees and up to 107+!! im afraid my friggin card is gonna blow up!

Any ideas why my card suddenly is getting so hot even at default and below clock speeds?

CaptNKILL
06-07-05, 04:47 PM
Check out my thread from a month or so ago:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48373

Remove the cover on the heatsink and clean it out. The dust gets bound up inside by the fan and half the card gets no air at all. Im willing to bet that this is your problem.

StoNer
06-07-05, 06:04 PM
thx man ohmyfkingod that was some DUST!!

Not like normal dust ohhh no that was like super ultra dark black tar heroin from inbetween your toes dust!

thx again man runnin at 57 now :)

CaptNKILL
06-07-05, 08:22 PM
thx man ohmyfkingod that was some DUST!!

Not like normal dust ohhh no that was like super ultra dark black tar heroin from inbetween your toes dust!

thx again man runnin at 57 now :)
Yeah these things get PACKED with crap.

Glad I could help out :). And that reminds me, I'll have to clean it out again in a couple months probably... this summer is going to be a hot one, thats for damned sure.

Enjoy your newly stable card :D

Pandora's Box
06-07-05, 08:44 PM
yeah when i bought my 6800 gt from a guy at anandtech, i took of the stock cooler to install a vf700cu and once i saw all that dust i almost died. i wondered how the thing was even able to cool the gpu heh.