PDA

View Full Version : dialup wireless routers...

brady
06-07-05, 09:48 PM
my brother in law called me up today asking if they make wireless routers which have the ability to connect to a dialup line...ive never heard of such a thing. anyone?

Pandora's Box
06-07-05, 10:04 PM
never heard of it. i dont think they do.

jAkUp
06-07-05, 10:30 PM
Never heard of it, I'm not sure they exist. Sharing the internet over a 56K wouldn't be much fun at all.. hehe
I believe it is possible however... you just need an extra PC however :)

retsam
06-07-05, 10:36 PM
you can do it with cisco wireless access points but they are expensive...but what he can do is set up an access server box that will dial into the service evey time there is traffic going out to the internet. then connect the wireless router to that box.

cisco aironet with dialup features (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:VRWDdQOB-MUJ:www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps441/products_tech_note09186a00800944a7.shtml+cisco+air onet+with+dialup&hl=en)

hope this helps

brady
06-07-05, 11:07 PM
Never heard of it, I'm not sure they exist. Sharing the internet over a 56K wouldn't be much fun at all.. hehe
I believe it is possible however... you just need an extra PC however :)

thats exactly what i told him. he has a very old and crappy hp that i suggested he use as an access point if and when he buys a new laptop.

ricercar
06-08-05, 02:45 AM
Apple Airport base stations will do what he wants: 56Kmodem+router+wireless. Unfortunately, I've never been able to configure mine with Apple's Windows config. utility; i've always had to use a mac.

USRobotics and MacSense each have sold non-WiFi routers with serial ports to connect a modem. Add a $19 WiFi station and go.