PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Icons in Taskbar

Viventis
06-08-05, 06:09 PM
Recently replaced my two year old ATI 9800 pro (they are fixing it under warranty!) with a Nvidia 6800 GT. By and large I am pleased with the upgrade. However, the taskbar icons that were clear and sharp with the ATI are now distinctly fuzzy with the 6800 GT.

I am running in native 1280x1024 on my 19" Hyundai 8ms LCD monitor DVI (love it for gaming and photos) and changed nothing except the graphics card and drivers. Wiped all ATI files off the system first with Driver Cleaner Pro. Using latest XP drivers from the Nvidia site (72.13 whql). Everthing except the taskbar is clear and sharp, including the icons near the top of the screen when I am on the internet.

Any suggestions? It's not like I can't use the computer or anything. I'm just surprised and a little dissappointed at the difference. Thanks!

[AK]Zip
06-08-05, 07:20 PM
Try another driver.

nIghtorius
06-09-05, 04:06 PM
Recently replaced my two year old ATI 9800 pro (they are fixing it under warranty!) with a Nvidia 6800 GT. By and large I am pleased with the upgrade. However, the taskbar icons that were clear and sharp with the ATI are now distinctly fuzzy with the 6800 GT.

I am running in native 1280x1024 on my 19" Hyundai 8ms LCD monitor DVI (love it for gaming and photos) and changed nothing except the graphics card and drivers. Wiped all ATI files off the system first with Driver Cleaner Pro. Using latest XP drivers from the Nvidia site (72.13 whql). Everthing except the taskbar is clear and sharp, including the icons near the top of the screen when I am on the internet.

Any suggestions? It's not like I can't use the computer or anything. I'm just surprised and a little dissappointed at the difference. Thanks!

you using DVI output or DSUB? if it's DVI then something might be terribly wrong.. but reading your post I may conclude that not all off the screen is unsharp?

if characters are sharp and the icons are not.. then definetly is a software problem going on. graphiccards aren't selectively unsharp.. never seen one 8)

are games unsharp? or any other DirectX based software?

Viventis
06-11-05, 05:01 PM
you using DVI output or DSUB? if it's DVI then something might be terribly wrong.. but reading your post I may conclude that not all off the screen is unsharp?

if characters are sharp and the icons are not.. then definetly is a software problem going on. graphiccards aren't selectively unsharp.. never seen one 8)

are games unsharp? or any other DirectX based software?

I am using a DVI connector. Only the icons in the taskbar are fuzzy. Everything else is clear. I just changed drivers with no change. I believe the problem may be related to the way my LCD and the 6800GT interpolate low res icons.

nIghtorius
06-11-05, 08:35 PM
I am using a DVI connector. Only the icons in the taskbar are fuzzy. Everything else is clear. I just changed drivers with no change. I believe the problem may be related to the way my LCD and the 6800GT interpolate low res icons.

try to capture a screenshot (print scrn) and post it here (*.jpg) hopefully your fuzzy icons show up in the screenshot.

I also have a 6800GT @ DVI (and DSUB for the matter (dual scrn 17" TFT setup)).. and I do not have fuzzy taskbar icons.. they all are sharp to me.

Smokey
06-12-05, 04:38 AM
Maybe it's just a case of playing around with the monitor settings?

Viventis
06-12-05, 09:15 AM
try to capture a screenshot (print scrn) and post it here (*.jpg) hopefully your fuzzy icons show up in the screenshot.

I also have a 6800GT @ DVI (and DSUB for the matter (dual scrn 17" TFT setup)).. and I do not have fuzzy taskbar icons.. they all are sharp to me.

Sorry for the Newbie question, but how do I insert a .jpg picture? (the "insert image" option is no help)(or do I have to link to a web page?)

Gentle
06-12-05, 02:27 PM
When you hit "Reply" scroll down below the "text entry" window and look for this....

Attach Files
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
[Manage Attachments]

Gentle

Viventis
06-12-05, 09:35 PM
Here is a .jpg of my screen.

nIghtorius
06-17-05, 05:32 PM
Here is a .jpg of my screen.

I see ugly scaled icons in your taskbar.. those are mostly caused by setting a different display dpi other than 96 dpi..

go to your advanced display settings.. first tab you should see the option dpi-setting.. it should be set to 96 dpi. if this is the case.. reset your theme to Windows-XP (display settings theme tab).

your default font for the taskbar is too big.. this causes the icons to be "nearest" scaled.. which is a ugly sight.

subbo
06-17-05, 07:43 PM
Yep even from that low quality jpg you can see the winamp logo is nearest neighbor scaled. Could be that the ati drivers bilinear scale those things and nvidia has just overlooked the possibility of a) somebody enabling quick launch bar & b) on nonclassic theme & c) using a larger font.