PDA

View Full Version : nv5 or zalman vf700? ordering tonight!

Pages : [1] 2

j0j081
06-09-05, 04:59 PM
I am unable to bare this summer heat any longer (and neither is my vid card) so I'm ordering one of the above tonight. In a recent thread I started about fan issues a few people were recommending the vf700 for my 6800GT but after doing a little research on my own I'm not sure what is better and easier to install. What do you recommend and why? Also I know the vf700 is sold out at newegg so where should I order from? I haven't checked for the nv5 yet.

JeRi
06-09-05, 05:03 PM
h**p://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373041&affiliate=shopping

32.99 and free 2 day shipping, bout the cheapest you can find i believe.

i found installing my VF700 very easy once i got the stock heatsink/fan off my xfx 6600gt, and i saw great improvements in lowering my temps, so i say go with the zalman

Roliath
06-09-05, 06:37 PM
Vf700c

j0j081
06-09-05, 06:41 PM
What is better about the Zalman though? Seems not too many people give thought to the nv5 nowadays.

shabby
06-09-05, 06:50 PM
While the vf700 is good the nv5 removes all the heat the video card makes from the case, the nv5 gets my vote.

jAkUp
06-09-05, 07:20 PM
Yea I go with the NV5 also. It exhausts all the heat out of the case.

That, and it doesn't have purple heatsinks :D

Absolution
06-09-05, 08:09 PM
they are blue

id go for the VF700CU as the fan doesnt get clogged as with the NV5
also quieter, and cools better with better quality build (dont have to sand the memory pads down or anything)
i also like how the memory isnt connected to the heatsink and and doesnt get heated by the GPU :p

NemesisChild
06-09-05, 08:59 PM
I am unable to bare this summer heat any longer (and neither is my vid card) so I'm ordering one of the above tonight. In a recent thread I started about fan issues a few people were recommending the vf700 for my 6800GT but after doing a little research on my own I'm not sure what is better and easier to install. What do you recommend and why? Also I know the vf700 is sold out at newegg so where should I order from? I haven't checked for the nv5 yet.

Jojo -
I see that we have the same v-card, sound card, and PSU.
Form my experience, if you feel you have really good case cooling, get the Zalman.
If not, I recommend the NV5 (Rev. 2) because it exhausts the hot v-card air out the back of the PC.
BTW, there's no need to sand down the memory on the BFG card for the NV5.
I've installed 2 NV5's during the past 6 months, it's a piece of cake.
No matter which one you go with, don't forget AS5 on the GPU!

Acid Rain
06-09-05, 08:59 PM
What is better about the Zalman though? Seems not too many people give thought to the nv5 nowadays.It seems to be of higher build quality, it is remarkably easy to install (NV5 often needs a little modification), it has seperate heatsinks for the ram which are blown on by the fan, it keeps most people's cards a little cooler, and, in my opinion, it looks better. At least it looks pretty sweet on my blue BFG.

j0j081
06-09-05, 09:21 PM
Jojo -
I see that we have the same v-card, sound card, and PSU.
Form my experience, if you feel you have really good case cooling, get the Zalman.
If not, I recommend the NV5 (Rev. 2) because it exhausts the hot v-card air out the back of the PC.
BTW, there's no need to sand down the memory on the BFG card for the NV5.
I've installed 2 NV5's during the past 6 months, it's a piece of cake.
No matter which one you go with, don't forget AS5 on the GPU!
My case cooling isn't great so...I'm still not sure lol.

Kamel
06-09-05, 09:26 PM
quite simply the zalman cools worse than the nvsilencer (without even regard to the whole putting air outside of the case thing), but it is quieter. the amount of difference isn't a huge ton, but it's enough so that if you were to have a vf700-cu and a nvsilencer, you would sell the vf700-cu.... well, that's what i've seen atleast 2 people do already, and none the other way around. personally, i've got a vf700-cu, and i bought it from someone who fit this scenerio, lol

anzak
06-09-05, 09:29 PM
My vote goes to the NV5 beucase it removes the hot air out the back of the case.

$n][pErMan
06-09-05, 10:57 PM
vf700 .... quiet ... if you going for that.... plus Zalman fans cool great!
NV5 if you want that air blown out of the case.

Honestly .. im using the duel fan stock cooler on the Gainward GS card. Some says its really loud .. I got used to it i guess. But either way... the air stays in the case and my idle and run temps are about the same as everyone else with NV5's or vf700's. So I dont think it will matter to much if its blow out of the case or not :p

red_star
06-09-05, 11:30 PM
It a lot depends on room temperature.

I'm running P4 Prescott 3.4 478 Socket, and it idles 36C, load max 48C. I have custom made installed sink with 90MM on top. I managed these temperatures in the room of 90 - 100F. I wonder what this 'baby sink' can do in the normal room temperature like 65-70F.

Video card was running 55C idle 78C load. The case is Thermaltake Shark...really good case, a great airflow in it...

Acid Rain
06-10-05, 04:31 AM
I know you said you're ordering tonight, but maybe you haven't. I don't know, so here's some advice. Just read this (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49168&highlight=zalman+vf700cu) thread for some quicky answers, or this (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46027&highlight=zalman+vf700) one for the full scoop.

Kamel, what are you smoking, if you don't mind my asking? :p

PSYCHODAD
06-10-05, 05:26 AM
Never tried an nv5, but I am quite fond of my Zalmans.

j0j081
06-10-05, 11:21 AM
I know you said you're ordering tonight, but maybe you haven't. I don't know, so here's some advice. Just read this (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49168&highlight=zalman+vf700cu) thread for some quicky answers, or this (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46027&highlight=zalman+vf700) one for the full scoop.

Well after reading through a lot of those posts I decided to get the Zalman as long as I can find a good place to get one. Newegg is currently sold out! Any ideas?

PS I didn't know this was gonna be such a hard decision.

combat_wombat
06-10-05, 11:48 AM
nv5 silencer. it blows all that gpu heat out of your computer, and the fan is nice and beefy and quiet. not some tiny POS

Acid Rain
06-10-05, 03:51 PM
Well after reading through a lot of those posts I decided to get the Zalman as long as I can find a good place to get one. Newegg is currently sold out! Any ideas?

PS I didn't know this was gonna be such a hard decision.I got mine, among many other things, at directron (http://www.directron.com/vf700cu.html), and they have served me very well, with excellent reliability and packaging. I hear zipzoomfly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373041&affiliate=shopping) is great as well.

FastM
06-10-05, 04:00 PM
Im thinking of getting the Zalman, and maybe even removing the fan and installing THIS (http://www.vantecusa.com/p_fancard.html) underneath, it will obviously push alot more air than the regular zalman fan and it should hit the ramsinks aswell.

Kamel
06-10-05, 05:04 PM

eh, not smoking anything, if you really want i could give you 2 threads of people wanting to sell a vf700-cu on these forums for the reason that it does not cool as well as the nvsilencer does.

edit: notice the margin of difference really isn't that much i don't think.

j0j081
06-10-05, 05:59 PM
oh bleh. just when i thought i'd made my mind up people come along questioning my decision. is the nv5 available at newegg? i'm having trouble finding anything there lately. also, will someone hook me up with a good zalman link just in case I go that way? this card will be ordered by midnight tonight. no more delays! i would go with the nv5 as it was my initial pick long before i started this thread but i've been reading its a pain in the ass to install.

Acid Rain
06-10-05, 06:01 PM
eh, not smoking anything, if you really want i could give you 2 threads of people wanting to sell a vf700-cu on these forums for the reason that it does not cool as well as the nvsilencer does.I was being silly about the smoke. I know you don't blow BS around if you don't have to. It just seems that the vast majority of comments made about the coolers are in favor of the Zalman providing better cooling.

combat_wombat
06-10-05, 09:18 PM
oh bleh. just when i thought i'd made my mind up people come along questioning my decision. is the nv5 available at newegg? i'm having trouble finding anything there lately. also, will someone hook me up with a good zalman link just in case I go that way? this card will be ordered by midnight tonight. no more delays! i would go with the nv5 as it was my initial pick long before i started this thread but i've been reading its a pain in the ass to install.

it's not hard to install. I have a rev 1 silencer, the one that has the cheap screws that break. I was fortunate enough not to break them when I put it on. I've not takent it off since, hehe. The Rev 2 Silencer has much stronger screws.

saberz
06-12-05, 12:08 PM
From the reviews I read they both work really well @ stock speeds on 6800 GT's. Wont see a difference in temps(maybe 3* diff) from an Ultra.

As you OC the NV pulls ahead a bit in regards to keeping the card cooler by a few more degrees than the zalman. All in what you want really, I've had a Silencer on my 9500 Pro and never had issues with it. I had the 7000ALCu for my CPU and it was good as well, but the XP90 was far better for cheaper.

Heatsinkfactory has the NV5 SIlencer in stock

Still waiting for mine to come in.