PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best PC RPG?

Pages : [1] 2

shaker718
06-09-05, 06:55 PM
Hey all,
I have been thinking of getting an RPG game of late, so I ask you what game(s)
are worth getting? Im only familiar with console RPG's,its been a long time since i've picked one up, and the only experience I've had with PC RPG's has been Morrowind, which I hated with a passion. Help me find a great one.
Thanks for your opinions.

SH64
06-09-05, 06:58 PM
KOTOR & KOTOR2 are reasonably good.

Greg
06-09-05, 07:01 PM
If you want RPG as in the closest thing to table top or dress up live RPG, then Fallout, Fallout2 are it. If you want RGP as in dungeon hack, bash goblins to get gold and upgrade your sword, there is Diablo and a bunch of new clones. If you want RPG action adventure, then Knights of The Old Republic and earlier Bioware games like Balders Gate, Never Winter Nights are good value. Sorry most games I mention are not new.

shaker718
06-09-05, 07:09 PM
you know what? Im such a spacecadet, its amazing. I have KOTOR and I have played it for a while and am pretty far along ( I reformatted recently and have not reinstalled it yet, I forgot I even had it...). I liked it just fine but its not really what Im looking for (hence why I forgot I had it or played it). This may sound overly nostalgic, but what Im really looking for is games with a similar feeling to the final fantasy series, or old snes games like chronotrigger or secret of mana etc. maybe I should just download the snes roms... thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming.

Yuet
06-09-05, 07:15 PM
don't think there are many japanese type RPGs around on the PC, unless you understand chinese/koran/japanese then there are plenty in the asia market. Otherwise, the bioware ones are pretty good.

Banko
06-09-05, 07:30 PM
Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, Both KOTOR's

Shamrock
06-09-05, 10:36 PM
I am absolutely addicted to Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

CaptNKILL
06-09-05, 11:02 PM
Arx Fatalis is fantastic :)

emailthatguy
06-09-05, 11:32 PM
king's quest 1

Slyder
06-10-05, 01:25 AM
I am absolutely addicted to Elder Scrolls: Morrowind

Ditto... they dont come any better then Morrowind ;)

Vagrant Zero
06-10-05, 02:26 AM
Morrowind. *shudders*

msxyz
06-10-05, 05:27 AM
Kotor 2 was a big letdown for me: rushed, with a lot of cut content and loose ends. It cannot hold a candle to Kotor 1.

I still think the best RPG from Bioware are Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 with Kotor 1 following very closely. NWN is pure crap: too much MMO oriented, an unispired and short story not to mention that the graphics were worse than the 2D handdrawn landscapes of previous Bioware games. But I really enjoyed the second expansion, because it brings back a real strong and enjoyable single player experience.

Fallout 1&2 are also very good. Therre must have been an unique time in the videogame histhory with so many skilled developers that were working together at Balck Isle. Sadly both the ill-fated Troika and Obsidian were, so far, not able to recreate that unique creative momentum that gave birth to titles like Fallout and Planescape

Talking about the TES universe, Morrowind IS good, if you think about it like an open-ended adventure and not of an RPG in the strict term of sense. I still rank it behind Daggerfall, despite Daggerfall numerous bugs. What always hindered Bethesda projects is a lack of capable hardware to support their ambitious projects. I hope to see a reverse in the trend wit Oblivion; so far what I've heard and seen got me addicted even before the game is available. :)

Greg
06-10-05, 05:55 AM
Ditto... they dont come any better then Morrowind ;)

I think this was a quote from the original poster:
...only experience I've had with PC RPG's has been Morrowind, which I hated with a passion...

Brimstone7
06-10-05, 06:09 AM
Anachronox is an RPG that is console-like in many ways. It's actually pretty funny but there are tons of annoying quests that have you running all over the same areas for hours. It was produced by Ion Storm and came out a few years ago but you should be able to find it buried in a bargain bin somewhere. There was also at least 1 demo released but, from what I remember, the demo strangly focuses on these fetching quests that really turned a lot of people off. Still, if you can find it for $5-10 it is definately worth checking out.

pingu2
06-10-05, 09:00 AM
Planescape Torment!

|MaguS|
06-10-05, 09:04 AM
System Shock 2 :o

MUYA
06-10-05, 09:30 AM
Hmm is RPG ..like Diablo? Then I vote Diablo1 and Diablo 2 :p

I lost many nights a sleep playing those two :)

Ninjaman09
06-10-05, 09:32 AM
I'd say System Shock 2 or Deus Ex for a really innovative experience (I'm partial to Deus Ex). Otherwise, you can't go wrong with the Baldur's Gate series or Knights of the Old Republic (1). There are no console-style RPGs on the PC (hence the designation "console-style"), unless you want to play them on ZSnes.

SlamDunk
06-10-05, 10:59 AM
Gothic, Gothic 2 + Gothic 2: Night Of The Raven.

Can't get any better than that.

carkis
06-10-05, 11:10 AM
Not sure if you'd be into tactical RPGs since you're into console J-RPGs. You can check out the super hero-based Freedom Force game demos and see if they fit. Another game not mentioned is Septerra Core, a very old game but similar to console RPGs. I loved it at the time but never got to finish it. You should see it in the bargain bin in many places.

I made a trip to Korea and my cousin got me an RPG ... too bad I can't understand anything :p

MustangSVT
06-10-05, 04:56 PM
I'm surprised no1 mentioned BG. Good RPG's on PC:

Diablo 2
Baldur's Gate II
Neverwinter Nights
Kotor / Kotor II
Morrowind

Nexnecis
06-11-05, 05:49 AM
This is easy... Ultima 7 ( + pt.2 if you want to count it. If not, Pt. 2 by itself).

emailthatguy
06-11-05, 01:48 PM
ok after seriously giving this a lot of thought, nothing even comes close to a playstation emulator and final fantasy 7

cloud and sephiroth > all

EciDemon
06-11-05, 06:12 PM
Both FF7 and 8 were released to PC, but they can be hard to get fully working and the music isnt as good as in the original PSX release (though there are fan patches to fix this) So a PSX emulator is a good idea.

Grandia 2 is also available for PC, (original found on ps2).
A friend of mine played thro the pc version and sayd it was pretty good. Ive not tested it yet my self, figured id find it cheap to the ps2 but I have not been looking for it yet.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I saw Breath of fire 4 released for PC in the game store when I was browsing the other week.
Pretty cool rpg I think.

Mangler
06-11-05, 06:14 PM
Fallout 1&2+ps:torment