PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing a 6800gt card

Zange
06-09-05, 09:15 PM
Hi, after finally deciding to upgrade from an MSI fx5600, (which I have learned is terrible), I think that the 6800gt looks like the card to get, hopefuly a little boost in performance =).

However, I've read though about two hundred threads on different makes of the card, but I still don't know which one tends to be the best in terms of quality. I was looking at the BFG OC version, but after reading quite a bit, I don't know if that is still a good choice.

The system that I'll throw the card into is:

AMD 64 3200+
1 gig 400mhz dual channel ddr
MSI-6741 8x agp board
80gig 7200rpm hd

1 80mm intake fan in the front, and 2 outtakes in the back.. all to be replaced soon, but no watercooling for me =/.

I'll probably be buying the card in 2 to 3 weeks, if that matters heh. Thanks

OWA
06-09-05, 09:19 PM
BFG is good. I really like eVGA also.

red_star
06-09-05, 09:38 PM
BFG is awesome. Easy overclock 400/1000, no problems at all.

I ordered Leadtek 6800GT, it costs less, and wann try other brands. Bro got my BFG...

Acid Rain
06-09-05, 09:49 PM
BFG for the fattest warrantee in the graphics business. Their lifetime warrantee is different than other vendors in that it's good for as long as you own the card. Excellent support, 24/7 and free. Also, their cards are overclocked out of the box, so they perform better than most other cards while still being under full factory warrantee.

They run hotter than others due to their cooling setup, but, that's what the warrantee is for.

I never had any problems with mine using the stock cooler, but I went ahead and threw out the warrantee by installing a Zalman VF700CU cooler, cause, well, I like it cool. Whether I can use my warrantee or not, BFG scores tremendous points by exercising such excellent, customer focused business practices.

rohit
06-10-05, 03:20 PM
BFG, Leadtek, Gainward Golden sample..
BFG and leadtek, both come with 3 yrs warranty.
while gainward GS with one year.

P.S: please confirm the warranty thing with the dealer/shop.

FastM
06-10-05, 05:07 PM
I have found the BFG cards are noticibly cheaper than most other company's and the overclock great, the only downside is their stock cooling may not be the greatest but with decent airflow in your case you wont have problems. Mine overclocks to 410/1100 easily, I havent had time to push it further yet but i know it will go.

Clay
06-10-05, 05:12 PM
It's really hard to go wrong with any of the major IHVs. Some will have better warranties, software bundles, cooling solutions, etc but at the end of the day most are all NVIDIA reference design cards when you get down to it. Just go with your gut and pick one that has the extras you're interested in be it warranty, bundle, etc. The 6800GT is an excellent choice, you'll likely be able to get close to 6800 Ultra speeds out of it if you want to.

DiscipleDOC
06-10-05, 05:27 PM
ATI...Err...I meant BFG! :D

rohit
06-10-05, 05:37 PM
It's really hard to go wrong with any of the major IHVs. Some will have better warranties, software bundles, cooling solutions, etc but at the end of the day most are all NVIDIA reference design cards when you get down to it. Just go with your gut and pick one that has the extras you're interested in be it warranty, bundle, etc. The 6800GT is an excellent choice, you'll likely be able to get close to 6800 Ultra speeds out of it if you want to.
The reason is, Some IHV's offer other valuable things like, a better cooler in case of Leadtek, guranteed 400/1100 in case of Gainward, good waranty in case of BFG, and OWEN-HOT cards in case of XFX :p

so they should get the best of the above. hense the suggestions.

Zange
06-10-05, 07:58 PM
Thanks a lot, I think that I'm going to go with the BFG version, I've talked to some more people that have had good results with their cards. Only thing I'm worried about is if it will fit in my micro ATX board.... case is huge, but the board has a capacitor that is fairly close to the end of the AGP slot... We'll see..

Thanks again!

Vishruth
06-10-05, 09:12 PM
Beware, though. Overclocking your card effectively voids your lifetime warranty with BFG.

Link: http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html#lifetime

Clay
06-10-05, 10:18 PM
The reason is, Some IHV's offer other valuable things like, a better cooler in case of Leadtek, guranteed 400/1100 in case of Gainward, good waranty in case of BFG, and OWEN-HOT cards in case of XFX :p

so they should get the best of the above. hense the suggestions.
Yes, I know...so, did you read what I said? :DSome will have better warranties, software bundles, cooling solutions, etc but at the end of the day most are all NVIDIA reference design cards when you get down to it.What is "best" of the above is subjective. Some people could care less about guaranteed o/c or better cooling. I'm not trying to argue, there's nothing to argue about. I'm just confused as to why you even posted what you did in response to my post.

Kojiro
06-11-05, 01:49 PM
Bfg R0x0r5. |f J00 D0 |\|0t T|-|i|\|x 50, T|-|3n J00 R |\|0t L33t.

Zange
06-11-05, 02:17 PM
hahaha, alright =)

rohit
06-11-05, 02:21 PM
Yes, I know...so, did you read what I said? :DWhat is "best" of the above is subjective. Some people could care less about guaranteed o/c or better cooling. I'm not trying to argue, there's nothing to argue about. I'm just confused as to why you even posted what you did in response to my post.
Oops..sorry didnt read.. was too haisty in typing the comment! ;)

Salamandar
06-11-05, 02:22 PM
If you have the time and the skills to change the fan of your Graphics card I say go with the Gigabyte heatpipe edition.
Yes the HSF is not good when overclocking but using an NV silencer on it makes it a beast.

I've got 3 of the gigabyte cards moded with the Arctic NV5 and every one of them works @ 415/1170 and I dind't try to push them more.
The only -ve thing about these cards is that u will use Gigabyte's own programs to check the temps.