PDA

View Full Version : What makes a card future proof? (need quick replies!)

anzak
06-09-05, 11:01 PM
I have the chance to trade this flashed X800 Pro (see sig) for a stock PNY 6800GT. Recently, there has been many games released that make use of the FP16 Blending on the NV40. My question is what makes a graphics card future proof? Raw performance or features? Any imput would be great. Thanks.

Sovereignxp
06-09-05, 11:17 PM
I know your wanting an answer for what makes a card more future proof... Performance or Features? I think the real answer is.... Both.

When you want Features you'll need the Performance to back it up.

A good example is say the Geforce FX 5200... It's got nice features like PS 3.0, but it lacks the Performance to take advantage of it in games like Half Life 2 and Doom 3.

How much power you really need depends on the game(s) you want to play and the price your willing to pay.

Allot of the newer games like HL2 and D3 really like the culmination of both Features and Performance.

That is why I think the answer is both. That is what makes a card future proof.

skoprowski
06-09-05, 11:20 PM
SLI ......... :D

Clay
06-09-05, 11:24 PM
Quick reply? A good answer doesn't fit into a quick reply. My only quick reply would be "it depends". :) What is considered "future proof" by some will not be the same thing to someone else. In other words, it's all very subjective unless you really define what is/is not important to you in a video card.

anzak
06-09-05, 11:41 PM
Quick reply? A good answer doesn't fit into a quick reply. My only quick reply would be "it depends". :) What is considered "future proof" by some will not be the same thing to someone else. In other words, it's all very subjective unless you really define what is/is not important to you in a video card.

I know, I just wanted someones input before I make this trade. Im gonna go for it. I would really like to give linux a fair shot (ATI drivers broke ubuntu last time). Also, Digital Vibrance, which makes my crappy CRT look great. Well, it looks like I've talked my self into it. :P Thanks for the replies.

Clay
06-09-05, 11:44 PM
I know, I just wanted someones input before I make this trade. Im gonna go for it. I would really like to give linux a fair shot (ATI drivers broke ubuntu last time). Also, Digital Vibrance, which makes my crappy CRT look great. Well, it looks like I've talked my self into it. :P Thanks for the replies.
Yeah I know what you mean, sometimes you just feel better hearing some feedback of any kind. I think it's a good trade, especially if you want to do anything with Linux. Good luck!

jAkUp
06-09-05, 11:50 PM
Sm3.0!

SH64
06-09-05, 11:54 PM
Depends .

thats the quickest reply i can give you.

JoKeRr
06-10-05, 12:05 AM
quite frankly, if you look at the long run, nothing is future proof. Best bet will be to think about how much you can gain or loose from the one you have right now.

For example: I don't look at the performance of G70 or X850pe, I've decided to upgrade my Ti500 to a modded XFX 6800NU 16/6. Sure I want a GT or Ultra or SLI or better as well, but the fact is this upgrade for me is not only affordable, it also increases the performance by a rediculously huge margin, which is all I really care about.

Kamel
06-10-05, 12:21 AM
future proofing is mandated by timeless features (such as the geforce 3's programmable pixel shaders, it was the most timeless card ever made, some may argue that its days aren't even over yet and it's been *several* years.

ok, i probably got that wrong, i twas programmable something. i'm losing all ability to focus due to sleep deprivation.

what currently is a timeless addition? i really don't think anything is. directx 9 would be, but it's really not finished. once it's done with its development, any of the most supported dx9 cards will probably be future proof.

rohit
06-10-05, 03:17 PM
nuthin is future proof in todays tech. i thought my card would be, but then the damned SLi was intoduced :@

comparing x800pro modded to xt and 68gt modded to 68U, id say 68gt modded to 68U has a beter chance of lasting longer.

red_star
06-10-05, 03:52 PM
Fast CPU.

Running Doom 3 on AMD 3700+@2.6 or P4 3.4 using the same card 6800GT is different like day or night.

With AMD conf never went below 60 FPS, but with Intel chokes down to 30FPS in the heavy battles.

gram_vaz
06-10-05, 04:43 PM
if you think about it most pc games can still be run on hardware several years old. so future proof is just wether you want to play the two graphically demanding games released every year at incredibly high resolutions with full aa/af.

anzak
06-10-05, 04:48 PM
Fast CPU.

Right...

I've put so much time, money and effort into this card. It's got a ATI Silencer Rev. 5 which has been lapped to almost a mirror finish. I've easily got $450 into the card and its cooling. I know that if I trade for the PNY 6800GT I'd end up getting a NV5 for it... So much to think about...

rohit
06-10-05, 04:57 PM
I've put so much time, money and effort into this card. It's got a ATI Silencer Rev. 5 which has been lapped to almost a mirror finish. I've easily got $450 into the card and its cooling. I know that if I trade for the PNY 6800GT I'd end up getting a NV5 for it... So much to think about...
Temme one thing, who hasnt spent money and time on their cards? even we got 68GT's for $500 at one stage. now its for $250

The PNY 68GT you r intrested in must have been bought for 400USD some day. now its value is lower.

The question is whether you are ready to change to a 68GT from a x800pro or no.
or you can wait for g7x/8x or r52x.
Its upto you.

john19055
06-11-05, 06:19 AM
If you have a X800pro flashed to a XT and it is running at 520/540 ,then the 6800gt will be slower in a lot of games and the 6800gt will be faster in a few games.

Kojiro
06-11-05, 01:25 PM
Stick with Nvidia. ATI seems to come out with a new card every few months or so, puting the previous one out to pasture. Any one who bought an X800pro feels screwed over, while Nvidia did not release a new card in the whole year the 6800 series was released.

ATI VPUs while powerfull, they are not future proof at all, expecialy when ATI likes to outdo themselves.

rohit
06-11-05, 02:19 PM
If you have a X800pro flashed to a XT and it is running at 520/540 ,then the 6800gt will be slower in a lot of games and the 6800gt will be faster in a few games.
Cant have the same opinion of 6800GT O/C'd to an ULTRA or even higher.

vX
06-11-05, 02:24 PM
No card is future proof. You're just going to get a biased sm3.0!! w00t! opinion about the whole thing.

Age of Empires 3 is coming this november and the developers said nv40's sm3.0 capabilities can't handle the game @ max settings. Sweeny told jakup we should get max settings 1024x768 for ut2007 (aa/af weren't mentioned) Farcry's framerate is cut in half if not more when HDR is enabled.

I think it goes to show nothing in the world of pc's is future proof. I'm not saying this cause I own an Ati card, the card I own, also, is NOT future proof, nor was the 6800 gt agp I owned as little as 2 weeks ago. If your a gaming enthusiast and need to play @ high res with aa/af enabled, that means you have to continually buy the latest and greatest.

But between an x800 pro and a 6800 gt...which will last you the longest? The 6800 GT, it has 16 pipes and very early ps3.0 support. But dont expect it to be able to run Unreal Tournament 2007, Prey, or any 2006 blockbuster game @ 1280x1024 w/ 4xaa/16xaf....you're gonna need a G70/r520 to do that.

anzak
06-11-05, 04:17 PM
Hey! I made the front page. :D

I've finally decided. I'm gonna make the switch to the 6800GT. Why? Because it reminds me a lot of the Geforce 3, its features were way a head of its time. SM3.0 and FP16 blending will be used in games for a long time, as long as I'm able to play games at 1024x768 using those features, I'll be happy. Then sometime next year, I'll build a whole new system before I head off to college. Thanks for the advice.

JoKeRr
06-11-05, 06:54 PM
Hey! I made the front page. :D

I've finally decided. I'm gonna make the switch to the 6800GT. Why? Because it reminds me a lot of the Geforce 3, its features were way a head of its time. SM3.0 and FP16 blending will be used in games for a long time, as long as I'm able to play games at 1024x768 using those features, I'll be happy. Then sometime next year, I'll build a whole new system before I head off to college. Thanks for the advice.

that's why I bought a geforce 3 at the time instead of a Geforce 2. hahah it was a good choice, epecially when it was close to 100 bux cheaper than a Ti4200 64mb for me. :angel:

wheeljack12
06-11-05, 10:09 PM
I choose performance 1st. The speed. Partially because some technology features in the industry have to be accepted which takes time to do. Where a video card can always be sped up in new generations to get better frame rates until the current new tech is accepted and then implemented in the generation where gaming is commonly using it.