PDA

View Full Version : I Finally got a new VideoCard

FastM
06-10-05, 07:28 AM
I got a great deal selling my 9800Pro so i finally caught up to some of u guys and got myself a BFG 6800GT OC AGP.

Had it a couple days now and so far its running great, zero problems and i still havent done a format to comepletely get rid of ATI stuff.

In short, it feels great to be back with nVidia, the ATI card was nice at first, but in General i much prefere nVidia cards for reasons of drivers (control panel), OpenGL performance and ability to overclock.

I can see the stock cooling will have to be changed, but for now the buget is blown so i'll live with it. At the moment the card idles low 60c's and may get to 70c during load.

As far as performance.. i have only been able to 3dmark03 ( no time :( )

370/1000 = 11,590

410/1100 = 12,650

The res of my system is not overclocked, running 1t.

I do have a question about the driver panel, In the AGP settings window, it lists max AGP rate for the GPU @ 8X, the Chipset @ 8X the OS @ 2X and Optimal @ 8X.

whats up with OS @ 2X ?

Second question is about the overclocking tab, the option Detect Optimal Frequencies, how reliable is this? I gave me settings of 426/1100? but i didn't try benching it at that yet.

Last Question, when overclocking is it a good idea to overclock 2d clocks aswell?

j0j081
06-10-05, 10:57 AM
Hi, congrats on the card I have the same one! The AGP rate for your OS is normal I believe. As far as overclocking goes I've heard the detect optimal frequencies feature isn't too reliable and may set things too high which of course sucks. It's much better to use your own trial and error system. Leaving your 2d core at its default won't hurt anything and may keep your card slightly cooler. Memory has to be the same for both. I used to have my card running at 400/1.1 but it's getting too hot now its the summer although you shouldn't worry too much about temps because I've ran my card up to 90C without a single crash. 120 C is when damage will occur but obviously it's unstable I would say anything over 90C. I am in the process of ordering better cooling right now so I can return my ocs.

FastM
06-10-05, 12:12 PM
Thanx for the reply, exactly the answers i was looking for. :beer:

I still wonder about the OS AGP @ 2X thing though, gonna have to read up on that.

I assume the Zalman VF700-Cu is the best aftermarket cooler? I just wonder about the Ram chips not getting much cooling... I dont care about noise.

JoKeRr
06-10-05, 12:34 PM
haha nice, I'm upgrading as well. From a Geforce 3 Ti500 to a XFX 6800NU (16/6) with NV5!! I can't wait till next wknd when I install the whole thing.

j0j081
06-10-05, 12:41 PM
Thanx for the reply, exactly the answers i was looking for. :beer:

I still wonder about the OS AGP @ 2X thing though, gonna have to read up on that.

I assume the Zalman VF700-Cu is the best aftermarket cooler? I just wonder about the Ram chips not getting much cooling... I dont care about noise.
Apparently the Zalman is a close call with the nv5 but most people here seem to prefer the Zalman so that's what I'm getting. If you look around I started a thread in this forum yesterday discussing it.

$n][pErMan
06-10-05, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the 6800 series club!! :D Glorious cards! (naw) :beer:

FastM
06-10-05, 01:46 PM
Apparently the Zalman is a close call with the nv5 but most people here seem to prefer the Zalman so that's what I'm getting. If you look around I started a thread in this forum yesterday discussing it.

hrmmm... I like that the NV5 does the memory as well, but it does not seem that powerfull as a cooler.

this is what im thinking, Zalman on the GPU with ramsinks stuck on, then THIS (http://www.vantecusa.com/p_fancard.html) guy right underneath making sure those ramsinks get plenty of airflow (not to mention the Zalman will get even better airflow).

Thanx $n][pErMan, i cant wait for the weekend i'll actually be able to use it!

FastM
06-10-05, 01:55 PM
haha nice, I'm upgrading as well. From a Geforce 3 Ti500 to a XFX 6800NU (16/6) with NV5!! I can't wait till next wknd when I install the whole thing.

that is one hell of an upgrade.... i imagine you can barely sit still waiting to get that installed. What is the first game you plan on playing?

j0j081
06-10-05, 06:05 PM
I am for one not ready for this 7800 hype BUT this is why I invested in a 6800gt and not a 6600. Last time I bought a midrange card (9600xt) 6 months later it was already getting too slow. I bought my 6800gt around xmas time to replace it and still feel it has at least a good year left in it minimum for high settings and acceptable framerates.

Kojiro
06-11-05, 12:38 PM
Bfg T3|-| R0x0r5

Acid Rain
06-12-05, 01:13 AM
I got a great deal selling my 9800Pro so i finally caught up to some of u guys and got myself a BFG 6800GT OC AGP.
Very cool. Be sure to get good and comfortable with the game profiler in the control panel. It is truly invaluable being able to set each game up differently and not have to constantly switch your settings back and forth for each game. If you have any confusion whatsoever about how it works, please ask us. We'll be happy to help.

Also, if you dabble in digital vibrance, make sure to just use a little. Don't do what some do and max it out, then say it looks like crap. Most people, like myself, really enjoy the enhancement it brings, but only when used sparingly, like at about 25% or so.

SLippe
06-12-05, 01:24 AM
The OS AGP @ 2x refers to Windows' capability. That's normal. Don't worry about it. Congrats on the card! I hope to have one soon (by year's end). Try the 77.30 drivers and yes, I agree on the Digital Vibrance @ 25% (highest Low setting for me).

Maverickman
06-12-05, 10:43 AM
A 6800 GT OC? Big deal! Most serious gamers have a 6800 GT, X800 XT or better. People announce they just got one. So what? Many of us have had ours for 8 months!

Redshirt #24
06-12-05, 01:55 PM
<patiently waits for his 6800U to arrive>

:angel3:

j0j081
06-12-05, 05:00 PM
A 6800 GT OC? Big deal! Most serious gamers have a 6800 GT, X800 XT or better. People announce they just got one. So what? Many of us have had ours for 8 months!
way to be a downer or should i say dick?

Maverickman
06-13-05, 01:56 PM
Not a dick, just someone who's tires of reading these posts from people who just a got a card that's been around for a while. I'm sure there are others on this board who feel the same way. If you need help with the card, we're happy to assist. We don't need to hear you bragging about your new card. :D

FastM
06-13-05, 01:57 PM
Not a dick, just someone who's tires of reading these posts from people who just a got a card that's been around for a while. I'm sure there are others on this board who feel the same way. If you need help with the card, we're happy to assist. We don't need to hear you bragging about your new card. :D

The reason for my post was to get a couple questions answered, not to bloat. get a life.

Pandora's Box
06-13-05, 02:07 PM

if you tire of reading these threads then just maybe you shouldnt click on them :rolleyes:

JoKeRr
06-13-05, 02:17 PM
that is one hell of an upgrade.... i imagine you can barely sit still waiting to get that installed. What is the first game you plan on playing?

I'm getting HL2 and gonna try D3 and Farcry one more time, should be quite a different experience. Also plan to replay Splinter Cell series, and possibly Chaos Theory when I get my hands on it.

Btw, the card is XFX with Dual DVI and NV5 16/6 unlocked. I'm not installing yet b/c I need to finish my spring term finals first. Will also try BF II demo, although the only BF game I played (Vietnam) Sucked hard.

Vishruth
06-13-05, 02:48 PM
If you have such a problem with threads like this one, why don't you go to the mods and tell them about it? And they'll deal with it as well as they can. I don't think it's right for you to tell another forum member how to and how not to post, especially since so many other members have already entertained this thread.

And JoKeRr, whatever happened to dedication, I wonder. :rolleyes:

JoKeRr
06-13-05, 02:51 PM
And JoKeRr, whatever happened to dedication, I wonder. :rolleyes:

it's not that I lack dedication, but the Geforce 3 Ti500 decided to head for retirement.

Acid Rain
06-14-05, 05:55 AM
A 6800 GT OC? Big deal! Most serious gamers have a 6800 GT, X800 XT or better. People announce they just got one. So what? Many of us have had ours for 8 months!It's obvious he's not gloating, at least to the rest of us.

It's in the right forum, it's polite, he's asking for advice, somewhat, and we're happy to hear about it. I like it when other people have good things happen, and thus, I actually enjoy reading these threads. The cool thing is, here, I'm hardly alone in this.