PDA

View Full Version : Laptops...Intel or AMD?

brady
06-10-05, 12:56 PM
My bro in law is going to buy a new laptop this week. he's got about $1500 to spend. i dont follow the mobile scene very well so im not on the up and up. intel or amd?

im going to go to bestbuy with him today to look at stuff, but i found this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224016) little gem on newegg. any thoughts? my big problem with bestbuy (or the computers they sell there) is that your paying for alot of useless software and tech support.

Dagan
06-10-05, 12:59 PM
I would get an Intel Pentium M based laptop for the most battery run-time. I love my Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2.

oldsk00l
06-10-05, 01:08 PM
Dude, Intel!

Pentium-M roxX0rz teh big one11! for laptops.

Riptide
06-10-05, 01:34 PM
Yeah w/laptops it's a no brainer. Intel.

saturnotaku
06-10-05, 01:35 PM
Yeah w/laptops it's a no brainer. Intel.

. :werd:

Actually, what's he going to be doing with this laptop? If he's not going to be gaming, would he consider an iBook or one of the smaller Powerbooks? If not, that's completely cool, but that is another option. :)

brady
06-10-05, 01:37 PM
well, that was easy.

$n][pErMan
06-10-05, 01:38 PM
I've never used an AMD laptop .. but my laptop is an Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz HT and its a power hog... but the battery life is still like 2.5 hours on it and it runs great. My friend has a moble and his lasts like 4 hours so no complaints here with Intel. Hopefully someone here has used an AMD laptop and can give you some heads up on that too :) I heard the 64bit ones are pretty nice :)

oldsk00l
06-10-05, 02:26 PM
. :werd:

Actually, what's he going to be doing with this laptop? If he's not going to be gaming, would he consider an iBook or one of the smaller Powerbooks? If not, that's completely cool, but that is another option. :)

Right now Apple laptops are a horrible deal, especially with the kind of software support you are going to expect in a couple of years.

Whenever the Pentium M based Apple laptops come out I'm sure they'd be quite nice.

brady
06-10-05, 03:35 PM
i knew that intel made great moblie cpu's but as far as future proofing a laptop ( if there even is such a thing) i thought having a 64bit cpu would be nice. again, keep in mind 1500 is his budget AND this will also be his desktop replacement. and no i dont even think he really knows you can play games on a computer.

Subtestube
06-10-05, 05:56 PM
Definitely Intel - my one is great - in excess of 5 hours battery life if I'm just doing word processing stuff with the screen brightness down a little. Then again, I bought this particular notebook because it won pretty much every battery life test I could find when I got it.

bkswaney
06-14-05, 01:38 AM
Intel all the way. :D

At least have him get a 128meg 9700 Pro videocard
in whatever he buys.
If not he will wish he did down the road. A 6800U would
be best. ;)

ew2x4
06-14-05, 01:41 AM
If for some reason he wants to do 64 bit stuff, I'd suggest AMD, otherwise, Intel.

And dont get skimpy on ram or video card. That stuff is expensive/impossible to add on and you'll regret it later.

Kamel
06-14-05, 01:53 AM
i dunno, everyone claims "intel, it's a no-brainer" etc etc, but that's not necessarily true. the amd laptops have a stronger processor, and it's more future-proof. the intel laptops certainly get better battery lifetime, but what would that ever matter if A) he's going to have it sit on his desk plugged in at all times anyway, or B) he intends on taking it to lan parties, in which case, he will want it to be plugged in and giving him the best FPS as possible.

not uncommon now-a-days for people to not care about battery lifetime when they are using it for lan parties and things of that sort. many people are sick of bringing their entire rig from place to place and they get a laptop solely for gaming. in this case, an amd64 proc would be a much more sensible solution.

not saying his case is any of these. sounds like an intel would be great for him, but i feel it's dangerous to throw around the no-brainer thing without asking questions first.

bkswaney
06-14-05, 02:24 AM
i dunno, everyone claims "intel, it's a no-brainer" etc etc, but that's not necessarily true. the amd laptops have a stronger processor, and it's more future-proof. the intel laptops certainly get better battery lifetime, but what would that ever matter if A) he's going to have it sit on his desk plugged in at all times anyway, or B) he intends on taking it to lan parties, in which case, he will want it to be plugged in and giving him the best FPS as possible.

not uncommon now-a-days for people to not care about battery lifetime when they are using it for lan parties and things of that sort. many people are sick of bringing their entire rig from place to place and they get a laptop solely for gaming. in this case, an amd64 proc would be a much more sensible solution.

not saying his case is any of these. sounds like an intel would be great for him, but i feel it's dangerous to throw around the no-brainer thing without asking questions first.

Very few people I know would give up batt life
for a hot@ss 64 or P4.
The newest PM can eat through games like hot butter.
It's safe to say the PM is the future of Intel.

Match up a PM with a good videocard that has some
great power options and you have heaven in a small case. ;) :angel:
Low heat,great batt life and high performance graphics is what
I always look for in a notebook. Well other than light weight. :D

This makes me sick. I'm still using a old Toshiba Sat
with a 900Mhz P3 and 16meg nvidia Geforce2.
It still does a fine job of opening programs fast
and surfing the net etc.
It's got a 15inch display and all. It's was loaded
for the day it was made.
I only wish I had 1500 to throw at a new LT. :(

The old P3's still kickass though. :p