PDA

View Full Version : Problems, Please Help GF 6800 GT

Danhill
06-10-05, 04:34 PM
I just switched my mobo for the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe. Now when I boot up there are small dots and lines appearing on the screen, when I'm in Windows things gets alot worse, everytime I touch the mouse or I open up a program I get more dots and lines and distortion and the screen flickers and after a while the pc reboots, I checked my temps and they are just fine, 48 - GPU 30 PCB, I have the card at 350/1000 just in case.

The strange thing is that if I unistall the the Forceware, the problem is almost gone in Windows, but in the boot screen the problem is still there, I have tried different sets of Forceware, 71.84 and 71.89 both giving the same problem.

So what do you guys think, is it time for a RMA or is it something else??

The card is a Gainward 6800 GT Golden Sample, the rest of my PC is in my sig.

gram_vaz
06-10-05, 04:45 PM
seems like a case of fubar'ed gpu to me.

Danhill
06-10-05, 04:49 PM
Yes it could be, the reason for me asking is that I want to know if I am going to buy a 6600 unitl my current 6800 GT gets fixed.

FastM
06-10-05, 05:05 PM
seen it alot that cards appear to work correctly but as soon as you install drivers the problem (defectivness) comes out

Clay
06-10-05, 05:09 PM
Try some earlier drivers like the 66.93 drivers. Also, are your temperatures in a normal range? Double check your monitor cable connection and make sure your card is seated well in the AGP slot. In your motherboard BIOS set it back to factory defaults. Just some ideas that are pretty obvious but worth mentioning. Good luck.

Danhill
06-10-05, 05:19 PM
Thanks Clay, I have done the things you mentionded but still I don't get it, I suspect it is the card that has gone nuts on me, as soon as I install drivers, then the card flips out, I'm just afraid if I go out and buy a 6600 then perhaps the same problem occurs??

Clay
06-10-05, 05:42 PM
Thanks Clay, I have done the things you mentionded but still I don't get it, I suspect it is the card that has gone nuts on me, as soon as I install drivers, then the card flips out, I'm just afraid if I go out and buy a 6600 then perhaps the same problem occurs??
Hmm... Well I doubt that another card would have the exact same problem unless your AGP slot on the mobo is faulty. Can you get a hold of another AGP card and see how it behaves? That would help to at least confirm that possible cause or not.

Was your card behaving just fine on your previous motherboard? If so, what could have happened in transition to this different motherboard to have caused your Gainward 6800GT to go wonky on you?

Danhill
06-10-05, 05:49 PM
Hmm... Well I doubt that another card would have the exact same problem unless your AGP slot on the mobo is faulty. Can you get a hold of another AGP card and see how it behaves? That would help to at least confirm that possible cause or not.

Was your card behaving just fine on your previous motherboard? If so, what could have happened in transition to this different motherboard to have caused your Gainward 6800GT to go wonky on you?

Well I had big big problems with my Abit IC7 mobo, it worked fine for 6 months with my current Prescott CPU, then it died on my, I then received a new one, but tha mobo didn't work with my cpu and my cpu only, it worked fine with northwood cpu and even with a 3,0 Prescott, but mine was a no go, so thats why I had to buy Asus mobo, have been without my home pc for 5 weeks.

The card worked fine in my old mobo, I had a few strange things now and then, but nothing worth mentioning. I did however (I was bored) apply som Artic Cheramique paste on the card when my PC was in the pc store, maybe I damaged it in some way??

Just now I switched dvi ports but that didn't help either, its fine however if I don't have the dirvers installed :confused:

rohit
06-10-05, 06:05 PM
Problem similiar of my MSI 68GT card. showed Dots all over screen, and after a day, LINES.Generally, when The VGA's memory gets spoilt, you get such dots.
I guess RMA time.

Or else if you can check it on some other system, having AGP.

gram_vaz
06-10-05, 06:08 PM
if your brave try upping the agp voltage in the motherboard bios. doing that can cure gpu instability problems. some people say you can also fubar your card this way but it shouldn't really. i've done it myself up to 1.8v.

red_star
06-10-05, 07:21 PM
Get Leadtek 6800GT from newegg.

I got one, they are all B1 revision. It runs idle 49C :eek: Load 57C, way way cooler then BFG. I ran NVIDIA detect optimal frequency and set the card to 425/1.15 :) I switched back to 400/1000 which is safest, and nice spot...

Danhill
06-11-05, 08:33 AM
Thanks everybody, it was the card that is faulty somehow, I just bought a Geforce 6600 and everything is just fine, I'm going to RMA it and hopefully they will send me a new one.

Anyway, thanks for the help and comments.