PDA

View Full Version : Apple market share

Cota
06-11-05, 10:58 PM
I know that apple market share worldwide is like 1.8% and almost 3% in the US, but what about the desktop publishing, DCC and multimedia markets that apple supposedly dominates.

Riptide
06-12-05, 10:39 AM
I don't know specific market share figures but I have heard several times now that their DTP share isn't what it used to be. A lot of programs have been ported to XP and in some cases perform faster there.

Cota
06-12-05, 04:53 PM
I heard that also, but since many people sustain that the Mac is the "de facto" standard in desktop publishing and more recently DCC, I'm curious to see if its actually true.

ricercar
06-14-05, 12:53 PM
I heard that also, but since many people sustain that the Mac is the "de facto" standard in desktop publishing and more recently DCC, I'm curious to see if its actually true.

As a professional in the publishing industry, I suggest that "publishers use Macs" is past. In the last decade the publications industry capabilities gave equalized between Windows and MacOS. Publications professionals are more interested in the software composition tools--and quality of output formats--than the hardware platform or source OS. When you go to a trade show like Seybold, Mac/Windows isn't an issue any more.

Generally, (e.g. you may not but most everyone else does) technical documentation professionals tend to use FrameMaker, and periodical publishers (magazine, newsletter publishers) tend to use QuarkXPress, with a smattering of MS Word users by the low end. (I have never met a professional using InDesign.) These programs are all available on both Windows and MacOS, both OS now have adequate PostScript and PDF output for professional press printing, so the platform of origin is becoming less significant.

This is for hardcopy press; in my experience the web has become platform agnostic since IE 5 dominated Netscape, circa 1999-2000. In the last 5 years I haven't seen the same worries about differences in rendering web pages between platforms or browsers in the manner this was important back in the silicon valley boom years. However, with over three quarters of the browsers out there coming from x86 boxes, the Macintosh never dominated professional web publishing the way Macs dominated print.

--
More apropos of the thread topic:
Another interesting datum: NPR said last week that Macintosh computers comprise 16% of all currently used personal computers. The study suggested that people hold on to their Macs longer than people hold on to their x86 machines.