PDA

View Full Version : 4 Memory sticks = No PAT??! (Abit IC7)

Amoor
06-12-05, 01:36 AM
Hi guys,

After trying battlefield 2, and seeing how it made my 1GB memory crawl at max settings, i decided to use my other rig's memory until i get more for my gaming rig later, but to my surprise i noticed that once i installed the memory PAT stopped working, i have 2 dual channel kits (2x512 and 2x256) installed now on my IC7, any idea how to get PAT working with the 4 memory sticks ?

PaiN
06-12-05, 05:36 AM
Ha....
That's how all my "upgrade" problems started :( I wanted 2gb of RAM, at the the time I was running a P4EE \ IC7 Max AdvanceII with 2x512 of PC3700, but on i875/65 motherboards when all 4 dimms are filled not only is PAT shut off but its also switched to single channel mode.
I did want the performance hit....so I opened a bad can-o-worms upgrading to an A64 :rolleyes:

Riptide
06-12-05, 09:41 AM
Amoor did having 2GB make a noticeable difference in that game? Just curious.

I'm thinking of getting some of PaiN's memory.

Bubba
06-12-05, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure if it's specific to the IC7 (g, max III, etc.) series of abit boards or if it's global for 875p chipsets, but 4 dimms will surely disable the PAT. I think this even occurs if they're all matched up. I think that you should be able to still have dual channel working as long as each bank has matched pairs.

Amoor
06-12-05, 12:55 PM
hmm, Dual channel mode is still working, i have 512 sticks in bank 1 and 3, 256 sticks in bank 2 and 4...i think i will keep this setup for now and buy 2 GB kit sometime later, probably when i move to A64...

Riptide,
I have 1.5GB and it surely made a huge difference in battlefield 2, the game loads faster, feels a lot smoother, and the best of all...no more stuttering even with max settings, i really advice everyone wanna play this game to upgrade their memory, it will make a BIG difference.

betterdan
06-12-05, 01:43 PM
I had 2 512 sticks in my computer and then I put 2 more 256 sticks into it and my computer is also still running in dual channel mode. I agree 1.5 gb in BF2 is a big difference over 1gb. Only thing I don't like is my board lowered the mem frequency down to 133mhz instaed of 200mhz where it was.

Superfly
06-13-05, 04:25 AM
im about to add another 2x256mb in channel 2 - the Mobo manual says that all 4 must be the same size for dual channel to work - im which case im screwed - does'nt say the frequency will drop though - ill post back here with the results.

gigapower
06-13-05, 11:18 AM
I had 2 512 sticks in my computer and then I put 2 more 256 sticks into it and my computer is also still running in dual channel mode. I agree 1.5 gb in BF2 is a big difference over 1gb. Only thing I don't like is my board lowered the mem frequency down to 133mhz instaed of 200mhz where it was.
Get a new Venice core CPU, AMD fixed the dual sided RAM issue with them.

betterdan
06-13-05, 01:49 PM
I hate to give up this 3800+ cpu over something like that though. :(
It sucks that it lowered the memory speed but after a few benches it only affected Doom 3 and CSS VST by losing 1 fps.

saberz
06-16-05, 02:18 PM
If you go into your bios and set your NBStrap to PFB667 and boot into windows your PAT will be enabled.

Caution though, if your overclocking its really not worth enabling PAT. I enabled PAT and while it was a bit quicker it wasn't worth the stability problems that came with PSB667. BF2 would cause my machine to reboot intermitantly while without PAT i would game non-stop for hours on end without issues.

Abit IC7-G mobo here and I think its stupid they didnt enable PAT by default and implemented it far better. We paid for something that wont work 100% of the time or it will if you run at stock speeds. But these are enthusiast Mobo's and should have that technology implemented better.

Amoor
06-18-05, 08:30 AM
Thank you Saberz, i will try what you mentioned and report back.

Amoor
06-18-05, 08:52 AM
It worked, i now have the 4 memory sticks with PAT enabled, and no problems so far. I am not overclocking though since the other 2 stick are not as fast as my TCCD, Thanks for the tip.