PDA

View Full Version : Chaintech or eVGA?

Pages : [1] 2

RAY16
06-13-05, 02:51 PM
I'm going to be buying a 6600GT soon and I'm not sure which one I should get, mainly because the difference in the heatsink. Anybody want to give me some reasons why I should go with one over the other?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145107

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

GOZ
06-13-05, 03:27 PM
evga is way better than the chaintech

1337_Like_ThaT
06-13-05, 03:32 PM
From past experiences, I've had much better overclocking luck with Chaintech video cards as opposed to eVGA, plus the Chaintech cooler looks way cooler :)

Vishruth
06-13-05, 03:59 PM
I say, don't get either of them. Get this Leadtek 6600GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122206) instead. It's currently listed at $171, but if you use the $20 mail-in rebate offer, you can get it for $151.

Leadtek 6600GTs come with a solid custom designed heatsink, which are more efficient at cooling the card (and quieter too, if that matters to you) than the stock heatsink that comes with the eVGA and most other 6600GT variants. I don't know what kind of job the Chaintech 6600GT does at cooling, though.

rohit
06-13-05, 04:21 PM
Leadtek for sure.

Or else, chantech is quite good.

_Phil_
06-13-05, 04:23 PM
In the UK leadtek cards seem to come with a reference design heatsink nowadays but retailers are still showing the custom heatsink. Anyone know if this is the case over the water?

rohit
06-13-05, 04:27 PM
In the UK leadtek cards seem to come with a reference design heatsink nowadays but retailers are still showing the custom heatsink. Anyone know if this is the case over the water?
Hmm.. not possible, i havent seen a single leadtek 6600GT card with refrence designed HSF. Neither the PCI-e Nor the AGP version.

jAkUp
06-13-05, 05:31 PM
evga.

But really, BFG and XFX are the best. They work closest with nVidia.

_Phil_
06-13-05, 05:35 PM
Hmm.. not possible, i havent seen a single leadtek 6600GT card with refrence designed HSF. Neither the PCI-e Nor the AGP version.

A reasonable number of users on the Overclockers UK forum have had the Leadtek 6600GT turn up with the reference heatsink installed recently, so I don't know what's going on there. Leadtek packaged and everything though :confused:

RAY16
06-13-05, 05:51 PM
I say, don't get either of them. Get this Leadtek 6600GT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122206) instead. It's currently listed at $171, but if you use the $20 mail-in rebate offer, you can get it for $151.

Leadtek 6600GTs come with a solid custom designed heatsink, which are more efficient at cooling the card (and quieter too, if that matters to you) than the stock heatsink that comes with the eVGA and most other 6600GT variants. I don't know what kind of job the Chaintech 6600GT does at cooling, though.

Not sure if I could muster up the initial $171 payment. I'm on a budget tighter than the space between a fat mans ass and is underwear.

From past experiences, I've had much better overclocking luck with Chaintech video cards as opposed to eVGA, plus the Chaintech cooler looks way cooler :)

Not really interested in overclocking, I don't have the best cooling in my system and I'd like my parts to last as long as possible. But I suppose if a card overclocks better than the other one that it handles heat a little better...

Hmm... That's a bit worrying, I'd hate to be surprised by something like that.

OWA
06-13-05, 08:21 PM
evga would be my choice.

john19055
06-14-05, 07:08 AM
I would go with Evga ,I have had good luck with my 6800ultra and it overclocks good,plus they have a real good teck support fourm.

darkrider01
06-14-05, 11:59 AM
In the 6600GT game, I would probably do the Chaintech. I have one and I have been very impressed with it's performance. I will say that I just ordered 2x6800GT's and they are made by eVGA. I only got them because they were the cheapest 6800GT's I could get right now. If I had a choice of any, I would do Chaintech again in a minute. My wife has the Leadtek 6600GT AGP that has been great and I'll be selling it in another day or two for $130 if you'd like to pick it up. It would definitely save you some $$.

Gator
06-14-05, 12:43 PM
EVGA works out to be cheaper and has 1ghz stock memory while the Chaintech only has 900mhz stock memory.

Between those choices, EVGA is probably better. I admit the Chaintech has a cooler looking HSF, but the EVGA is the Nvidia reference design HSF which is perfectly adequate.

red_star
06-14-05, 01:11 PM
Leadtek is the best. I brought Leadtek 6800GT and runs cooler then any card with NV5 installed on.

RAY16
06-15-05, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. One more question though, do you think I could get away with running this card with a 300W Power Supply? I have a 550W PSU, but I'm saving it for when this 300W dies, or for when I get better cooling.

Kamel
06-15-05, 10:35 PM
you'll thank me for this profusely later if you ever get an itch and want to upgrade your cooling. make SURE you get a card (whatever it is) with a seperate heatsink for the pci-express bridge. in the two examples you gave, the chaintech does not have it and the evga does. it's like a piece added to the bottom right hand corner of the heatsink. this is very important, as those as basically irreplacable. a bit of advice, don't use a ramsink on the pci-express bridge either (never, ever)... i did that and fried my 6600gt. good came out of it though, i got me a 6800gt now lol.

edit: about the PSU, 300 watt should be fine if it's of decent quality. if it's of poor quality, it may or may not handle it depending on what other load the comp has on it.

AngelGraves13
06-15-05, 10:39 PM
ASUS is the best!

jAkUp
06-15-05, 11:21 PM
ASUS is the best!

I dunno about that... Asus is a very shady company.

john19055
06-16-05, 12:09 AM
I would go ahead and put that 550watt power supply on just to be on the safe side,the 300watt may work perfect ,but it could cause you reboots or lockups.

Vishruth
06-16-05, 12:24 AM
I dunno about that... Asus is a very shady company.
I agree. And I've generally found ASUS video cards to be a little overpriced...

Though, I do plan on buying a fanless ASUS A8N SLI Premium motherboad soon. :D

RAY16
06-16-05, 01:59 AM
you'll thank me for this profusely later if you ever get an itch and want to upgrade your cooling. make SURE you get a card (whatever it is) with a seperate heatsink for the pci-express bridge. in the two examples you gave, the chaintech does not have it and the evga does. it's like a piece added to the bottom right hand corner of the heatsink. this is very important, as those as basically irreplacable. a bit of advice, don't use a ramsink on the pci-express bridge either (never, ever)... i did that and fried my 6600gt. good came out of it though, i got me a 6800gt now lol.

edit: about the PSU, 300 watt should be fine if it's of decent quality. if it's of poor quality, it may or may not handle it depending on what other load the comp has on it.

Wouldn't most replacement coolers make it impossible to keep the PCI-E Bridge Heatsink on? I mean, unless I could get a cooler that follows the reference design...

And as for the 300W PSU, it's not brand name (antec, etc.), but it doesn't seem bad. Other than what's in my sig I have one DVD-ROM dirve, one CD-RW drive, Two HD's (one 5200RPM and on 7200RPM), and one case fan (yeah, I know, pitiful).

Kamel
06-16-05, 01:59 AM
lol jakup, that could open up a whole other can of worms i could write 15 pages on... i wont go there, but lets just say i've experienced first hand how dirty asus is, and they will never have the pleasure of my business again.

_Phil_
06-16-05, 02:47 AM
Brief summary of why ASUS suck?

RAY16
06-16-05, 03:42 AM
Brief summary of why ASUS suck?

What he said. I've never had any problems with Asus...but I've only used their motherboards, never video cards.