PDA

View Full Version : condensation protection on a 6800GT

sam375
06-13-05, 06:20 PM
Its going to be chilled wc with a PolarFLO TT block. Im worried about the resistors around the core. If I use dielectric grease on them that should do the trick I think. Ill probably insulate the water block a bit too. Does that sound good enough for condesation protection?

Russ_64
06-14-05, 09:41 AM
What condensation - you need moisture in your case for condensation to form ?? :eek:

I have a PolarFlo TT and was running it on a 6600GT - never saw any condensation. Beware - I broke my 6600GT GPU core chip when I had to reseat and clamp a water pipe that leaked !! The PolarFlo's can rotate even when fairly tightly causing damage to the chip. Awaiting my replacement - Leadtek A400TDH 6800GT 256Mb (I also had other issues with the 6600GT and my K8N Neo2 Plat nforce3 MB).

jimmor
06-14-05, 06:53 PM
Its going to be chilled wc with a PolarFLO TT block. Im worried about the resistors around the core. If I use dielectric grease on them that should do the trick I think. Ill probably insulate the water block a bit too. Does that sound good enough for condesation protection?

Although most vga cards are covered in some form of conformal coating to limit contamination, it would be an idea to also cover all pcb tracking around the core and closely associated components with your indicated grease.

How far out condensation becomes a problem will somewhat depend on how low a temp you intend to chill things. Some really low chip chillers typically seal the chilled heatsink against all contact with the case air supply. Where in some instances there is also the use of an intermediate heater to further isolate surrounding air and heatsink temps from each other.

Soylent
06-15-05, 10:10 AM
Am I missing something? You are going to use water cooling with no special cooling of the water to below ambient? If you are just going to use a regular radiator it won't be an issue.

Condensation may form only if the case air is cooled below it's intake temperature as colder air can't hold as much water vapour.

J-Mag
06-15-05, 01:37 PM
Am I missing something? You are going to use water cooling with no special cooling of the water to below ambient?

Yep you are definately missing something...

Its going to be chilled wc with a PolarFLO TT block.

sam375
06-16-05, 12:26 AM
Its going to be chilled wc, Ill be hitting temps around 5-10C on the core, with coolant temps in the -10C range (antifreeze + water + ice). Hope I dont short things out. Nvidia decided to surround the core with resistors... all I have to do is create enough condensation to connect the two ends of a resistor... then im f*cked.

Im running the chilled wc only on my processor right now, Im not ready to risk a $350 card till im damn sure its insulated correctly. Thanks for yer replies guys.

einstein_314
06-16-05, 01:23 AM
You have actual bits of ice flowing through your system? Wow, I've never heard of that before. Pretty cool though, no pun intended. I'd definately say you need some sort of protection though, whether it be some of that grease you mentioned or something else.

Kamel
06-16-05, 01:49 AM
heh, it's amazing how many people aren't familiar with chilled wc setups.

the brst thing you can do is put insulation everywhere. what i would be most concerned about is the back of the card once you did that... with so many resistors, a heating element would be the safest bet i'd say, especially if you've got one handy.

as for the itty-bitty ones right up next to the core, i would try doing 2 things, first using the dielectric grease as you stated, but then taking it a step further and getting a very thin piece of insulation (be sure that it doesn't affect your contact with the core by pushing the water block off of it of course), and then cutting it to specification, making a cut-out for the core in the middle of it. after doing this, i'd say you'd be totally risk-free, but that's kinda a super-safe way to do it. you might be able to get by with less, but i personally wouldn't risk it (with the exception of maybe the heating element, that might be a bit much *shrugs*).

of course, this is in addition to other general insulations you'd do around the block and insulation around the hoses.