PDA

View Full Version : ok i need help... im angry

criticalfish
06-13-05, 09:10 PM
ok im not angry with you guys just with fastwrites...

you know the problem where your game just freezes for 3 seconds about every 10 seconds from fastwrites? well thats the problem im having except i disabled fastwrites with riva tuner and in the bios...

6800 ultra
amd 64-fx 51
asus sk8n
1 gig of reg. ecc
77.30 drivers
the new beta audigy drivers
newest nforce drivers
fresh install of windows xp pro
and if it matters im playing the bf2 demo with 4x aa and everything except texture on high (textures is on med)

im extremely pissed off that i have this $500 video card and i cant play a game without freezing every 10 seconds...

goin to my dads... be back tomorrow

Acid Rain
06-13-05, 09:32 PM
Hmmm...are you just playing BF2? How about other games? It looks like you've done everything right. BF2 sucks up tons of ram, I've read.

What's your AGP aperture set at? I leave mine at 256 so that Doom 3 has enough room for textures at Ultra Quality, and have no problems with any games whatsoever. Well, since I've permanently retired HL2 I have no problems, that is.

criticalfish
06-14-05, 01:51 PM
ok im kinda new to all the editing if things having to do with video cards... how do i check/change my agp apeture?

its not doing it in cs:S... any specific other games you need me to check and i will... just need to install em. i just formatted...

red_star
06-14-05, 02:20 PM
BF2 = EA Games = sucks...

watever
06-14-05, 03:12 PM

dude.. seriously.. we get that u hate EA Games. Although u dont seem to get that EA games is merely just the publisher, not the game developer. If u hate the game, hate Dice for making it. Its like saying, I hate warner bros because hes a horrible director.

aZn_plyR
06-14-05, 03:50 PM

you=stupid=goaway

Acid Rain
06-14-05, 04:03 PM
ok im kinda new to all the editing if things having to do with video cards... how do i check/change my agp apeture?

its not doing it in cs:S... any specific other games you need me to check and i will... just need to install em. i just formatted...Your AGP aperture is set in the motherboard's bios. It should be located in the same screen as Fast Writes. Mine is right below FW, actually. If it's not there, look at different bios screens till you find it. It's probably set to 64mb by default. I'd crank it up to at least 128, and 256 gives my system the best performance overall.

I don't think that is your problem, but it's possible. So, it isn't a chronic thing, as CS:S works fine. Source can be, and often is, a picky, hitchy thing. If Source runs smoothly without stuttering, usually it's an indicator that you're in good shape.

You should install all the games you play, or plan on playing soon, and check them out. If BF2 is the only culprit, maybe wait for the retail version and see if they've fixed it.

criticalfish
06-14-05, 04:23 PM
Your AGP aperture is set in the motherboard's bios. It should be located in the same screen as Fast Writes. Mine is right below FW, actually. If it's not there, look at different bios screens till you find it. It's probably set to 64mb by default. I'd crank it up to at least 128, and 256 gives my system the best performance overall.

I don't think that is your problem, but it's possible. So, it isn't a chronic thing, as CS:S works fine. Source can be, and often is, a picky, hitchy thing. If Source runs smoothly without stuttering, usually it's an indicator that you're in good shape.

You should install all the games you play, or plan on playing soon, and check them out. If BF2 is the only culprit, maybe wait for the retail version and see if they've fixed it.

ok ty it was set on 128 i upped it to 256...

and ill check my other games =) ty

gram_vaz
06-14-05, 04:30 PM
agp aperture won't make any difference on a new card. i think the bf2 demo has been known to stutter on most peoplel's machines just like farcry.

smthmlk.
06-14-05, 04:35 PM
you know the problem where your game just freezes for 3 seconds about every 10 seconds from fastwrites? well thats the problem im having except i disabled fastwrites with riva tuner and in the bios...

lets see, 6800Ultra + NF3 chipset ....

....sounds like another victim of the all-too familiar freeze-issue. could be wrong, of course.

check the sticky post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759) about it and start doing everything you can to troubleshoot, there's a lengthy list of things to try before getting a new non-nf3 mobo.

Good luck, you may need it :]

criticalfish
06-14-05, 04:43 PM
lets see, 6800Ultra + NF3 chipset ....

....sounds like another victim of the all-too familiar freeze-issue. could be wrong, of course.

check the sticky post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759) about it and start doing everything you can to troubleshoot, there's a lengthy list of things to try before getting a new non-nf3 mobo.

Good luck, you may need it :]

lol when i first got this card i had this problem and i fixed it by turning off fw..
i have stuck with the 66.93 drivers for a long time with no problems.... but i finally decided to switch to the drivers that came with the bf2 demo... and with them came this problem... (and ya i made sure to turn off fw again) but i hope sooner or later i can get an amd 64 and sli board... thats the combo i want =)

watever
06-14-05, 05:14 PM
For the stuttering, all i did was turn the lighting setting to medium and it seemed to cure alot of it. Its still not entirely smooth, but it helped. From what I hear, 2 gbs of ram is what ur gonna need to play it smooth with all high settings.

Kamel
06-14-05, 05:16 PM
yea, it's your ram. you need over 1gb for good gameplay for bf2. it sucks, i know. you can tweak the settings to make it go away i think though.

retarded idea, thumbs down to whoever even considered making the game only play well at over 1gb of ram, since the people who tweak like crazy don't have over 1gb because you can't get anything even close to good timings with +1gb of ram.

CaptNKILL
06-14-05, 05:25 PM
you=stupid=goaway
I agree :rolleyes:

Most people hate EA, no need to troll on about them every chance you get ;)

gram_vaz
06-14-05, 05:42 PM
yea, i've read this game tops out at 1.2gb used ram.

subbo
06-14-05, 11:10 PM
I had a "freezing" or more like 1-2fps problem with the bf2 demo and I got rid of it with agp aperture 64->256MB, super smooth now with 2GB RAM! Also fastwrites on, always on man.

criticalfish
06-15-05, 12:59 PM
well heres the thing... i dont get the stuttering in far cry or source engine games... helll i can run doom 3 on its best quality with like almost absolutly no lag/stuttering (not ultra cause i dont have a 512 card)

Zerocool
06-15-05, 01:46 PM
set ur aperture size to no less than 32, no more than 256. 64 is optimal. Aperture size below 32 and above 128 can cause stabilty issues. Leave FW on and down clock ur card to 400/1100, dont know what card u have. Also dont know what board u have but make sure AtI/NV speed up is disabled if u got it( hidden in BIOS sometimes). Worked 4 me.

Zerocool
06-15-05, 01:52 PM
www.rojakpot.com cheakout the free BIOS guide section

criticalfish
06-15-05, 04:11 PM
well i noticed another thing... before i formatted i had the 66.93 drivers... i formatted cause i wanted to use new drivers and i had problems installing/uninstalling cause of registry problems... so now i do use the new drivers but i get this problem... so its something in the new drivers that causes this and the 66.93 fixes.. but others dont seem to.... cause once i had the 66.93 drivers with fw off i never had ANY stutters/freezes but any other drivers and i do... but with the 66.93 drivers i get messed up shadows in bf2 so i wanna get the newer drivers....

Zerocool
06-15-05, 04:32 PM
BF2 has its own drivers Ive read. Use those

criticalfish
06-15-05, 05:36 PM
those are the ones that gave me the problem... aka the ones im using now...