PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Games with 1 vs 2 gb ram?

Pages : [1] 2

Viventis
06-14-05, 10:18 AM
I am beginning to put together the parts for a new system. I am contimplating the purchase of ram and can't decide on 2x512 of low latency ram or 2x1024 of ram with more relaxed timings. I would probably not go with 2 sticks and later add two more because most motherboards force you to relax timings or even reduce the speed of the ram when you fill all four slots.

In todays games and those soon coming, would the extra gig make a differenc? I am looking at smoothness moreso than framerates. I hate it when I get one of those momentary hitches playing a game.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Riptide
06-14-05, 10:56 AM
In today's games 1GB is more than sufficient, with possibly one exception. Battlefield 2. But to be fair there seems to be some controversey as to whether or not the choppy frame rate being reported by a few people is actually due to lack of RAM.

2GB will come in handy down the road. I've been thinking of it myself but can't get up the nerve to pull the trigger on a $280 purchase. I want to sell my current memory first to ease the cost a bit.

Gator
06-14-05, 11:34 AM
As Riptide said, 1gig is fine for now, but in the future you'll need 2gig.

However there are a few games that definetly use alot of memory, such as HL2, and even UT2004 if your settings are up while playing some ONS maps. Basically if you upgrade to 2gig for those games, it'll just help limit the amount of virtual memory use, less hard drive activity... but it's not the necessity that say 1gig over 512mb is.

Your wallet... for now you don't need it... but it can't hurt :)

zoomy942
06-14-05, 12:49 PM
i am one of the few with 2 gb's of ram. i mainly did it cause i refused to believe that windows HAD to use a page file. i installed my 2 gb's and disbaled the swap file.

everything works fine. and i have extra disk space. i have had no troubles with no swap file.

another reason i upgraded was i was playing silent hunter 3, and i only had 80 megs of ram available while i was playing it. it sounds dumb, but i hated the idea that my pc was getting a workout. so i got more ram.

i would say, for most people, one gig is plenty

Roliath
06-14-05, 01:22 PM
i'm about to jump on to 2GB.
It will be here by friday. For now your fine with 1GB, but down the road it'll definantly be useful.

CaptNKILL
06-14-05, 01:55 PM
With games like Battlefield 2 coming out this year, id say its a good idea to upgrade to 2 since its so cheap. Unless you are specifically trying to get the most memory bandwidth possible, you can do just as much (even in terms of overclocking with an Athlon 64) with budget ram. Id say 4x512Mbs of Corsair Value Select PC-3200 for under $160 is a hell of a deal. I have 2x512 of that same stuff and i can run them at very low latencies in dual channel with no problems (though they are slightly underclocked, it doesnt seem to effect gaming performance at all). I'll probably get a matched set for another gig very soon... NewEgg is having a deal where a matched pair of 512s is only $77 plus shipping. Cant beat that with a stick :)

EDIT: Just realized that you didnt want to fill all four slots. But I really think that 4x512 would still be the best choice.

Roliath
06-14-05, 02:10 PM
Even if he did go with 4x512, make sure you get a mobo that supports them to run at DDR400, like take my MSI for example, when all four dimms are full, it will underclock the ram to 333mhz.
Sucks balls imo.

zoomy942
06-14-05, 02:13 PM
Even if he did go with 4x512, make sure you get a mobo that supports them to run at DDR400, like take my MSI for example, when all four dimms are full, it will underclock the ram to 333mhz.
Sucks balls imo.

thats the memory controller on the athlon 64's. the newcastle and hammer cores do that,. i think the winchester might also. but i know for sure that the venice core fixed that

jAkUp
06-14-05, 02:35 PM
My winchester is not downclocking the memory.

I just moved to 2gbs... Battlefield 2 is like a night and day difference.. everything else stayed about the same.

PSYCHODAD
06-14-05, 02:44 PM
My winchester is not downclocking the memory.

I just moved to 2gbs... Battlefield 2 is like a night and day difference.. everything else stayed about the same.
Thats good to know.

Vishruth
06-14-05, 03:30 PM
Sucks balls imo.
It's not the motherboard that's at fault here. It's the New Castle core. The newer Venice and San Diego core CPUs have an improved memory controller that allows you to use up all four RAM sockets and still run at DDR400.

For instance, if you had a AMD A64 3500 Venice core CPU, you would have been able to run 4x512MB DDR400 at DDR400/2T (as opposed to DDR333).

Roliath
06-14-05, 10:05 PM
Well that sucks. So even if i were to change my mobo and go PCI-E i'd still have to run my memory at DDR333?

Pandora's Box
06-14-05, 10:47 PM
my next system will have 2GB of ram, i just uped this system from 1GB to 1.5GB.

Vishruth
06-15-05, 03:40 AM
Well that sucks. So even if i were to change my mobo and go PCI-E i'd still have to run my memory at DDR333?
Yep.

Phillychuck
06-15-05, 10:36 AM
I was about to go out and buy another stick of 512MB, but I have the original A64 3000+ with a Gigabyte K8VNXP, not dual channel setup, it has 3 slots, right now i have the 2x512 at 200mhz. So if I fill the last socket it'll drop me down to 166mhz?

BF2 loads really slow, FPS is fine. What anoys me about most of my games is the laggy swaping they do when I exit the game. I'm not sure windows would perform much better unless I do what the above person mentioned (disable swap completely).

Not sure I wanna lose memory bandwidth :(

Superfly
06-15-05, 10:48 AM
well I got another 2x256mb going in tonight - all 4 slots will be used, i'll let you know how it works out laters.

Superfly
06-15-05, 11:23 AM
OK new mem is in!!

I got:

2x512mb in channel 1 and 2x256mb in channel 2 - running an Intel 865 chipset and with all 4 slots full.

Memory is ALL running @ DDR440 (no downclocking by the chipset!!) timings are 2.5-2-2-5

both channels are in dual channel mode.

Thankyou Intel and Gigabyte for NOT fooking me over on this mem upgrade!!!!

1.5 gig at the same timings and overclock as my original 1024mb.

ALRIGHT!!!! - me happy now.

Riptide
06-15-05, 12:36 PM
I've got 2x1GB on the way (OCZ Platinum EL). :)

Should be here this weekend and I really hope it likes my motherboard. I would've kept my TCCD if I were overclocking. But running it at stock... it's a shame. lol

zoomy942
06-15-05, 03:35 PM
I've got 2x1GB on the way (OCZ Platinum EL). :)

Should be here this weekend and I really hope it likes my motherboard. I would've kept my TCCD if I were overclocking. But running it at stock... it's a shame. lol

now you can disable your swap file :)

Riptide
06-15-05, 03:45 PM
Unfortunately it looks like I might be kinda screwed. Monarch sent me an e-mail, which I didn't see until noon MST, saying my ship address wasn't on file so they held it up. I confirmed that yes, it was on file, and sent them an e-mail indicating so. Well now it probably missed the cutoff and because someone screwed up it looks like it won't be here until Monday. Which sucks since I have someone interested in my current RAM and I'll need to ship it out as soon as I can. So my PC might be down all weekend. I'm a little upset with Monarch at the moment, they should've called me. I had a daytime phone number in there system. And when a person pays for 2 day shipping... well DUH maybe they are needing it by the weekend?

Roliath
06-15-05, 06:06 PM
That sucks riptide

My other gig will be here tommorow afternoon, but I opted for 2x512MB, so i'll be running 4x512MB at DDR333 :( stupid MSI, and stupid NC Mem Controller.
Will post results ASAP though!

Riptide
06-15-05, 06:52 PM
LOL, turns out it wasn't Monarch at all but my credit card company that couldn't get their story straight. Sheesh what a PITA. Looks like my machine might be down all weekend because my kit won't get here and I have a buyer for my current RAM. :cry:

betterdan
06-15-05, 08:24 PM
That sucks riptide

My other gig will be here tommorow afternoon, but I opted for 2x512MB, so i'll be running 4x512MB at DDR333 :( stupid MSI, and stupid NC Mem Controller.
Will post results ASAP though!
I hope your MSI board doesn't do like mine. I put in another 2 sticks of 256mb ram for a total of 2x512 and 2x256 and it lowered the memory speed down to DDR266 :( Maybe it's just the crappy Infineon ram I added that made it do that. It is PC3200 and if i install just the 2x256 ram modules by themselves they do run at DDR400 speeds. Ah well lemme know how it goes as if yours ends up running at DDR333 I might get 2 more sticks of OCZ EL ram to match my other 2 sticks and hopefully those will make it run at 333.

Roliath
06-15-05, 09:18 PM
whoa! Now your scaring me! I'll find out tommorow and hopefully i can get away with it running all 4 dimms at 333mhz I'll be fine with that for now.
Hopefully I can get my CPU sold soon, and jump on to a 3500+ Venice or 3700+ San Deigo So I Won't have to worry about kicking down the Ram Speed once I get a new mobo.

Superfly
06-16-05, 01:43 AM
now you can disable your swap file :)

urm - no.