PDA

View Full Version : Random Lockups - Nothing but 61.xx works. Hardware?

MagnaCartaHG
06-14-05, 02:55 PM
A while ago i was tried upgrading my video drivers to the Forceware 70 series, from 61.77s that came with my video card, but whenever i tried to run a game, i would get random lockups. The mouse would freeze for a few seconds then run again, then freeze for a few seconds then run again. I assumed it was just Windows acting up as it does so and I decided to ignore the problem and fix it when I did a fresh install of Windows.

I just did a fresh install of Windows, but the problem is not gone, but it's even worse. Right now no drivers other than the 61.76 and 61.77 work correctly. The 65.xx works okay, but still stutters from time to time. I'm currently using the WHQL'd 76.45 Drivers from Guru3d.com. I don't know if anyone else has had the problem or knows how to fix it.

Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD64 3500+
RAM: 1GB OCZ 3500 EB
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Video Card: GeForce 6800GT @ stock speeds
Running Windows XP Pro SP1

Does anyone know if any of those parts there are a problem? Any assistance would be very nice. Thanks in advance.

$n][pErMan
06-14-05, 05:48 PM
I used to have those problems when I first got my GT a year ago. Turned out to be a problem with my sound drivers. Dunno how it conflicted with video .. but it did. If you have an Audigy 2 ... use the latest Beta drivers. I also suggest the 77.30 drivers included in the BF2 demo.. they work great all around for me.

betterdan
06-14-05, 05:51 PM
Yep I have the same video card and motherboard and I get the same thing with any and all drivers. I have found that fw off only causes the freeze ups to happen a little less but they still happen. The only thing I have found to help me is upping the voltage to 1.4 in the vid card bios. I have been running the voltage at 1.4 and fw off for about a month and have had no freeze ups. Mind you this is at stock speeds. If I try to overclock a little then it goes right back to freezing up which is a shame because I put this card in my other computer and it overclocks just fine.
Oh by the way this only happens with direct 3d games and apps like 3dmark. I can run Opengl apps like Doom 3 with the card overclocked and get no lockups. Have you tried any opengl games to see if they freeze too? I would be curious to see what your results are.
You know what? I have never updated my Audigy 2 sound card drivers since I got this machine. Maybe that would be a good idea you think? ;)

$n][pErMan
06-14-05, 05:54 PM
You know what? I have never updated my Audigy 2 sound card drivers since I got this machine. Maybe that would be a good idea you think?
Yes. Sound is often overlooked .. but can be the source of many problems if your not carefull. Keep up with ALL drivers :)

MagnaCartaHG
06-14-05, 06:36 PM
Okay i just installed Doom3 and tested it. That and Quake 3 both don't give me any issues. betterdan, the FW results you mentioned are exactly the way it is with me. Turning them off made it a bit better, but the problem is still there.

Now as far changing the voltage. Is there any way i can do it without flashing the bios, and do you think the fact that i'm using an eVGA card will make a difference?

Finally do you know any solutions that don't involve bios flashing?

Oh, and i don't have an Audigy 2 (wish i did). I'm using onboard Realtek Ac97

aZn_plyR
06-14-05, 08:41 PM
Yep I have the same video card and motherboard and I get the same thing with any and all drivers. I have found that fw off only causes the freeze ups to happen a little less but they still happen. The only thing I have found to help me is upping the voltage to 1.4 in the vid card bios. I have been running the voltage at 1.4 and fw off for about a month and have had no freeze ups. Mind you this is at stock speeds. If I try to overclock a little then it goes right back to freezing up which is a shame because I put this card in my other computer and it overclocks just fine.
Oh by the way this only happens with direct 3d games and apps like 3dmark. I can run Opengl apps like Doom 3 with the card overclocked and get no lockups. Have you tried any opengl games to see if they freeze too? I would be curious to see what your results are.
You know what? I have never updated my Audigy 2 sound card drivers since I got this machine. Maybe that would be a good idea you think? ;)

well if it overclocks just fine in another computer, you might want to look into finding a better psu :)

betterdan
06-14-05, 10:03 PM
I seriously doubt it is the psu as mine is an Enermax 470w and also like I said it overclocks fine with opengl programs but freezes for approximately 10 seconds every once in a while with d3d games and apps. If it was my psu I believe it would do that all the time with opengl games also. Also i increased the voltage the card was getting and it helped. If my psu wasn't strong enough wouldn't me making the video card ask for more power cause even more freezing?
I updated my sound card drivers (had to do them manually as it kept saying it couldn't detect a sounblaster audigy 2 card :rolleyes: ) and it made no difference with the freezing. :thumbdwn:
Anyways I finally got the doom 3 1.3 patch to try the new sound out with those beta sound drivers and WOW! It sounds incredible. I did notice a small drop in the timedemo with this patch but no big deal really. Anyways the search for a solution to the freeze ups goes on.

gram_vaz
06-14-05, 10:06 PM
try fiddling with rivatuner settings. i seem to remember a few people messing with rivatuner settings to get rid of stuttering problems. i think setting LOD to -3 may help.

betterdan
06-14-05, 10:08 PM
Okay i just installed Doom3 and tested it. That and Quake 3 both don't give me any issues. betterdan, the FW results you mentioned are exactly the way it is with me. Turning them off made it a bit better, but the problem is still there.

Now as far changing the voltage. Is there any way i can do it without flashing the bios, and do you think the fact that i'm using an eVGA card will make a difference?

Finally do you know any solutions that don't involve bios flashing?

Oh, and i don't have an Audigy 2 (wish i did). I'm using onboard Realtek Ac97
The only way to change the vid card 3d voltage is through the cards bios as far as I know. An EVGA card shouldn't make any difference but make sure if you download a pre modded bios to use one that came from an EVGA card to prevent any problems. I have no other solutions unfortunately. I have been messing with this problem since about November and nothing has worked except that voltage increase along with fw off at least has let me play with no freezeups as long as I leave it at stock speeds.

betterdan
06-14-05, 10:08 PM
try fiddling with rivatuner settings. i seem to remember a few people messing with rivatuner settings to get rid of stuttering problems. i think setting LOD to -3 may help.
Tried that already with no success. It's not really a studder problem it's a complete freeze up of the system for about 5-10 seconds and then it continues on normally. this happens randomly. I think people are getting this confused with studders like ones that are caused by hard drive access which this is completely different.

MagnaCartaHG
06-15-05, 03:06 AM
Betterdan, thanks a million for your help. This had been plaguing me for months. I just flashed my bios to the same bios, but with 1.4V core and now everything is gone. Totally flawless. In fact i think my performance has improved apart from the elimination of the lame stoppages. Then again it could just be the switch from 61.77s to 77.50s.

Anyway, the BIOS flashing did the trick. I would try overl****ing, but i don't care enough. Thanks again. :)

Acid Rain
06-15-05, 04:41 AM
Anyway, the BIOS flashing did the trick. I would try overl****ing, but i don't care enough. Thanks again. :)Man, I am so glad you fixed your problem.

I truly feel for you guys with this 5-10 second hitching. I see you all pretty much have nice and beefy equipment. It must really suck to have this issue on such awesome gear.

I have what is considered a weeny machine right now, yet it has been such awesome hardware, running fast in new games and doing so hitch free. I just hope when I move on to my new dual core beast soon that I don't have any crazy issues.

Again, I really feel for the guys that have to deal with this.

betterdan
06-15-05, 06:48 AM
Glad that helped magnacarta :)
And thanks shadowcast, it is pretty crappy that this problem has to crop up on otherwise fantastic hardware. One of these days I will just get another motherboard and finally say goodbye to this problem once and for all.