PDA

View Full Version : Strong upgrade to 4400+ X2/4000+ need real advice (switching from Intel)

Peacemaker
06-14-05, 03:30 PM
Hi all!
I was wait for a long time and its happen ;) X2 are in local internet store...
So... I got :

P4 3.4 (478, Nothwood) on Asus i865PE, 6800GT, 400W BeQuiet Black Line - i will sell it.

rest of the stuff is :

4 x 512 GEIL UltraX 3200 (2-2-2-5)
2 x Hitachi 160Gb (in Raid 0)
NEC 3520A DVD-RW
Toshiba DVD-ROM
lot of fans, and nice Chieftec Alu case.

Now, on this weekend i want to go to new rig (almost ;) ) and i need some advice.

First - i want to buy A64 4000+ on San Diego core, but there wasn't avaible.
I just saw in the shop that they just got new X2 series on stock ! I decide to buy A64 4400+ X2 (Toledo core) for about 640 euro (E). But right now i know that this 4000+ is also avaible on San Diego core for about 540 E.

I'm not shure what i should do. 4000+ is a single core one, but it is 2.4 Ghz. 4400+ is DC but has got"only" 2.2 Ghz.

I'm a gamer. Most playing on Pacific Fighters and Lock-ON or some others simulation games. I like best graphics settings. I'm using 19'' LCD monitor and playing on native res (1280x1024@60) with v-sync ON.

What i'm running on background :

- Norton Internet Security 2005
- Team Speak,
- TrackIR 3 pro,
- HyperLobby,
- CH Manager.

The Q is - should i go with the new X2 or better stay with "old" single core ? (100E cheaper)
Is there be any diffrence ?

The second part of my stuff is motherboard.

I don't overclocked my stuff. I need stable work. Now i'm using Asus without problems and decide to stay with Asus mb.

I want to buy Asus A8N SLI Premium (with SLI switch inside bios) - it will be avaible on 2 days - price about 190 E.
Is it ok ?

The third Q is about GPU. I don't want to wait for some 7X line. I'm thinking about this :
1 x 6800Ultra from Leadtek (520 E),
or maybe 2 x 6800GT from Leadtek (760 E).

what do you think ?

Last Q is about PSU. I'm looking for really quiet AIR cooling.
So.. now i'm using one of the quiest psu, but it will be not to strong for new config.

I was thinking about

- SilverStone ZEUS 520W Active PFC
- Thermaltake 560W PurePower
- SharkoonSilent Storm APFC SLI ready 480W
- some Enermax ? (hard to buy)

what is most important on this config (i'm thinking about good, stable queit PSU)

If You are here - thank You :)

greetings,

Peacemaker.

BrianG
06-14-05, 03:54 PM
The dual core's advantage comes in real-world gaming situations. It is better suited to having things running in the background. I have been experimenting with running Quake3 windowed while runnig a virus scan on the boot drive and ripping CDs. I was able to get the CPU to about 86% utilization. Pretty amusing and very cool.

The GPU question is a tough one. I would almost say go 6800 Ultra, get good aftermarket cooling like the new Thermalright GPU coolers and OC a little. Then in a few months, pick up a second Ultra on the cheap. The only real kink to that plan is that the 7800 is close. You may want to see how the release evolves in regards to availability.

As for PSU, you really can't get much quieter than the SilenX iXtrema I have in my system. At 600W, it is a silent as it is gonna get with a 14dB fan on board. I will be releasing an article very soon about my experiences building a Quiet SLI system that features audio/video clips and comparitive dB readings of SLI with NV6s and SilenX fans vs. a single stock 6600GT and Lian Li's OEM 120mm fans. You will have to use adapters for the four-pin to PCI-E power connectors. It has 36A on the 12V rail.

Watch the front page in the next few days for the review...

Peacemaker
06-14-05, 04:13 PM
Thakn You for a quick reply.
Well, i never heard about this PSU. And i can't find it in all polish internet stores :(( so i need to stay with some of mine propositions.

greetings,

Peacemaker.

saturnotaku
06-14-05, 04:21 PM
Your current Intel setup is really quite good, far more than adequate for today's games. To be honest, it would probably have been in your best interest to wait another 6-12 months for dual core CPUs to become faster, more plentiful and therefore cheaper. Plus that would allow more time for applications to become optimized to take advantage of the second core.

The money you spent could have been put away and allowed you to save even more to buy an even higher-end processor to make the upgrade seem even greater.

BrianG
06-14-05, 04:41 PM
Your current Intel setup is really quite good, far more than adequate for today's games. To be honest, it would probably have been in your best interest to wait another 6-12 months for dual core CPUs to become faster, more plentiful and therefore cheaper. Plus that would allow more time for applications to become optimized to take advantage of the second core.

The money you spent could have been put away and allowed you to save even more to buy an even higher-end processor to make the upgrade seem even greater.
There is always something faster around the corner. Why wait if you can afford to upgrade?

Riptide
06-14-05, 05:46 PM
If money is no object, get a 4800+ X2.

If money is even a slight concern, keep what you have until faster dual cores come out or they drop in price (six months at least). I agree w/Saturnotaku that your current machine is quite capable.

Peacemaker
06-14-05, 06:25 PM
If money is no object, get a 4800+ X2.

If money is even a slight concern, keep what you have until faster dual cores come out or they drop in price (six months at least). I agree w/Saturnotaku that your current machine is quite capable.

Well, 4400+ is maximum. I need some money for 6800U ;)
But the reason why i'm thinkin to switch to AMD is that i got a higher posible configuration on 478. I will never put on it somethink faster. Now i can spell it on good money, later - don't think so...

But thank You for advice.

Peacemaker.