PDA

View Full Version : my card <just> doesnt cut it.. help needed

rasseru
06-14-05, 10:50 PM
<only just> doesnt cut it.. pny6800GT@433/1.15

im playing WOW, 1600x1200 no AA, AF 16X. athlon 2600@2300mhz

i have to lower the draw distance and run with optimizations on. its mostly the draw distance that bothers me.. and it really sucks!!!! most of the time i get 70fps flat out... then that <slight> drop in frames from the long draw really bugs me out! it sometimes drops a bit too much for my liking (10-15 frames too much)

im not a harcore overclocker or techie at all.. can anyone suggest how i can get rid of that dip in frames? its annoying cause otherwise its perfect, and just when it goes a bit 50/60ish it wastes the whole effect. :thumbdwn:

hmm what could you guys suggest?

thanks for the kind and generous help :)

gram_vaz
06-14-05, 10:57 PM
it's not the card, it's the game. WoW gives crappy performance to all.

Pandora's Box
06-14-05, 11:38 PM
isnt draw distance and dips in FPS usually a problem with CPU bottleneck?

anzak
06-15-05, 12:07 AM

Not true, other than the Grom'gol area I get very smooth framerate at 1600x1200 w/ 4xAA and 16xAF. Something im gonna miss after switching back to nVidia.

Your pretty CPU bound though, WoW loves the Athlon 64 and isn't as friendly to the Athlon XP.

gram_vaz
06-15-05, 12:10 AM
hmm, let me rephrase then, it's a game that gives crappy performance to most, ati or nvidia. just read up on the WoW forum.

gram_vaz
06-15-05, 12:12 AM
Your pretty CPU bound though, WoW loves the Athlon 64 and isn't as friendly to the Athlon XP.
:confused: this is a game that was meant to run on legacy hardware... i've seen people with 1ghz machines run this game fine. it's not a cpu demanding game. most of the AI and environment functions are actually handled by the server.

saturnotaku
06-15-05, 12:21 AM
:confused: this is a game that was meant to run on legacy hardware... i've seen people with 1ghz machines run this game fine. it's not a cpu demanding game. most of the AI and environment functions are actually handled by the server.

This is right. My Mac Mini handled it just fine...at least well enough to be playable and these specs are nowhere near top-end Windows machines.

FastM
06-15-05, 01:13 AM
hmm, let me rephrase then, it's a game that gives crappy performance to most, ati or nvidia. just read up on the WoW forum.

my experience with WoW:

ati 9600xt, crappy performance, no matter the res i would always get about 15fps average.

6800gt, performance is good.

Your comparing a 4-pipeline card vs a 16 there????

gram_vaz
06-15-05, 01:26 AM
i still shouldn't have gotten such bad performance with the card. some people were getting 30fps+ with lesser cards at the same res i was playing at.

i wasn't comparing the cards. i was just trying to get the point across that WoW will decide to give you crappy performance regardless of your vid card. there are people that have 6800U and x800xt cards that only get about 25-30fps average in WoW.

anzak
06-15-05, 03:06 AM

It's still CPU bound. I got the same framerate up till 1600x1200 w/ 4xAA and 16xAF. I never said it was a demanding game, I said it likes the Athlon 64 and doesn't take well to the older Athlon XP.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12074&stc=1

ati 9600xt, crappy performance, no matter the res i would always get about 15fps average.

I'd say there is something wrong with it. My friend plays on a Athlon 1.4 and Radeon 9600 and gets above 15fps in most places. It's more than playable at 1042x768 (30fps in the not so complex areas).

gram_vaz
06-15-05, 03:27 AM
hmm, let me rephrase then, it's a game that gives crappy performance to most, ati or nvidia. just read up on the WoW forum.there are people that have 6800U and x800xt cards that only get about 25-30fps average in WoW.

gram_vaz
06-15-05, 03:29 AM
and 48fps is still good performance btw. it's when it dips below 30fps when you need to worry about performance.

Absolution
06-15-05, 03:56 AM
i get from 30-90 depending on wehre i am, mainly in the high 40's to 60's though

in large battles or complex areas i get about 15-20 though

mmm ya you need a faster cpu to fix it though, it can help greately

Kamel
06-15-05, 09:15 AM
It's more than playable at 1042x768 (30fps in the not so complex areas).

now there's a contradictory statement....

|MaguS|
06-15-05, 09:39 AM
Its your CPU, Your really hitting its limit at those settings. I run at around the same settings as anzak and have no issue at all.

rasseru
06-15-05, 10:32 AM
thanks for the replies.. i guess im going to have to change the cpu..

if i go 64 or dual core, im going to have to get me an agp board, or the whole upgrade to pci-e. damn, i wanted the 'quick boost min fps' button thats hidden somewhere in the nvidia driver, oh well. if i want an upgrade i want to do it properly, which means 2-3x the cost of just a processor upgrade, because i dont really want to be shut out of the SLI loop again by not upgrading to pci-e.

thanks for the advice

russ

anzak
06-15-05, 11:46 AM
now there's a contradictory statement....

Do you play WoW? The game still plays pretty well at 20fps. I was shocked after opening up my friends FPS counter and see it was so low.

saberz
06-16-05, 11:37 PM
thanks for the replies.. i guess im going to have to change the cpu..

if i go 64 or dual core, im going to have to get me an agp board, or the whole upgrade to pci-e. damn, i wanted the 'quick boost min fps' button thats hidden somewhere in the nvidia driver, oh well. if i want an upgrade i want to do it properly, which means 2-3x the cost of just a processor upgrade, because i dont really want to be shut out of the SLI loop again by not upgrading to pci-e.

thanks for the advice

russ

Well you could run 1280x1024 with full AF and some AA and it would look quite good. Would give you at least 10-20fps more than what you have and would allow you to hold out longer for a "proper" upgrade meaning wait for prices to come down on the new venice cores or X2's and then make the switch.

Ruined
06-17-05, 01:41 AM
damn, i wanted the 'quick boost min fps' button thats hidden somewhere in the nvidia driver

Try setting quality mode to "Performance" in NV driver tab. :)

The filtering method does make a big difference. For instance, with full trilinear (High Quality) mode enabled, I could not run 1600x1200 w/ in-game AF all options on smooth in many large areas. However when I switched it to bi+trilinear (Quality), most places ran smooth. I imagine dropping it down to performance will make things even smoother at the expense of IQ.

Also try using 8xAF or app-controlled AF and in-game AF enabled. Often app-controlled AF will offer signficantly better performance than the same level of AF forced through the CP.

Marcos
06-17-05, 12:55 PM

ummm.... no.

Marcos
06-17-05, 12:56 PM

the WoW official forums are the worst forums i've ever seen. More immature than Rage3d.

Gentle
06-17-05, 07:14 PM
Is it just me or did the original poster never indicate what card he does own?

Gentle

anzak
06-17-05, 08:03 PM
Is it just me or did the original poster never indicate what card he does own?

Gentle

Its just you. :D

<only just> doesnt cut it.. pny6800GT@433/1.15

The first line of the first post. :P

gram_vaz
06-17-05, 08:06 PM
the WoW official forums are the worst forums i've ever seen. More immature than Rage3d.
*sigh* yes, but you can still read about the performance people are having in the technical support section. and also go to the guru3d forums, rage3d, and whatever else forums and do a search and you'll see people complaining about WoW performance problems. i frequent the guru3d forums so i know there are a lot of threads there about poor WoW performance.

gram_vaz
06-17-05, 08:09 PM
nvm.