PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't it seem just like yesterday that the Geforce 6 series was launched?

jimmyjames123
06-15-05, 02:18 AM
Doesn't it seem just like yesterday that the Geforce 6 series was launched?

Amazing that the new architecture will be unveiled six days from now. I still remember the 6 series launch video, pretty exciting stuff.

MUYA
06-15-05, 08:23 AM
No it was a year ago and a few months before i recieved rumours adn pecs so its about time geforce 7 sereies got laucnhing :)

|MaguS|
06-15-05, 08:36 AM
I still have my receipt for my 6800GT :o

Purchased 7/15/04 at 12:30pm

gram_vaz
06-15-05, 08:39 AM
yea, i know what you mean. you'd think since they are having an increasingly difficult time coming up with faster hardware that they would stretch out their new card launches every 3 years or so.

CaptNKILL
06-15-05, 09:18 AM
yea, i know what you mean. you'd think since they are having an increasingly difficult time coming up with faster hardware that they would stretch out their new card launches every 3 years or so.
Really doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. 1 big release every 2 years would be a lot better in my opinion. Right now its hard to make a commitment to any product because its outdated so fast.

That said, I've had my 6800GT since late June and it probably still cost me less then than what its worth today. And I checked that Valve survey on steampowered.com and according to that, I still have a faster graphics card than about 96% of the Steam users, so really, whats new in the high end doesnt mean squat. Same goes for CPU too... at 2.6Ghz, my CPU is faster than about 99% of the CPUs in that same survey.

Its nice being able to say I've got one of the fastest graphics cards available, but even a year later I have yet to see anyone with anything close to what I have (6800NU being the closest ive seen... and that was in a prebuilt system, so it wasnt tweaked at all), so I'm not too worried about losing my performance crown :D

BTW, im talking about people in my area, not online. Obviously, PC hardware enthusiast sites will have many more users with high-end hardware. Around here, most of the gamers still swear that "a Radeon" is the best. And by that they mean 9800 Pro. Kinda scary :o

jcniest5
06-15-05, 09:53 AM
I wish the GPU is a programmable chip (more like an EPROM) that they can just program (hard code) it with any new instruction to work with newer features. Won't that be amazing if such thing exists? I'm not talking about driver as I know DX8.1 cards can work with DX9 games using driver (softcode, although it's super slow comparing to hardware DX9 cards). One day, I think manufacturers would be able to come up with a technology that will consist of a programmable EPROM GPU that can be upgraded/updated with any new features they invent to take advantage of newer and faster technology. I may not live to see it, but I can tell it will happen.

jAkUp
06-15-05, 10:14 AM
Really doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. 1 big release every 2 years would be a lot better in my opinion. Right now its hard to make a commitment to any product because its outdated so fast.

That said, I've had my 6800GT since late June and it probably still cost me less then than what its worth today. And I checked that Valve survey on steampowered.com and according to that, I still have a faster graphics card than about 96% of the Steam users, so really, whats new in the high end doesnt mean squat. Same goes for CPU too... at 2.6Ghz, my CPU is faster than about 99% of the CPUs in that same survey.

Its nice being able to say I've got one of the fastest graphics cards available, but even a year later I have yet to see anyone with anything close to what I have (6800NU being the closest ive seen... and that was in a prebuilt system, so it wasnt tweaked at all), so I'm not too worried about losing my performance crown :D

BTW, im talking about people in my area, not online. Obviously, PC hardware enthusiast sites will have many more users with high-end hardware. Around here, most of the gamers still swear that "a Radeon" is the best. And by that they mean 9800 Pro. Kinda scary :o

You need to move... now :D

red_star
06-15-05, 10:35 AM
Doesn't it seem just like yesterday that the Geforce 6 series was launched?

Amazing that the new architecture will be unveiled six days from now. I still remember the 6 series launch video, pretty exciting stuff.

There is nothing new...It's GF 6 architecture with additional 8 pipes, and some tweaks. Those 8 additional pipes won't have any impact on the performance of todays most games. Most of those games are just CPU and RAM hungry. Gice you example Matrix Online.

My brother and I are getting the same frames using Radeon 9800XT or 6800GT. He is doing now way better, and do you know why?

Because he brought AMD 3700+ @ 2600Mhz and 2 GB of ram. With the Radeon 9800XT he was doing better than my rig with 6800GT and P4 3.4.

MUYA
06-15-05, 10:38 AM
red_star: Your last and only warning. I will not have you come in here and paint a doom and gloom cr@p as it is not neccessary. If you want to vent that the new generation from NV ...or ATI (I dun see you mention any of that) is not upto par. Go elsewhere or start another website. MY LAST and only warning.

Mr.Clawz950
06-15-05, 11:19 AM
@RedStar ..... Too bad you probably can't read this, but anyway I just had to say that your "theory" for MxO is incorrect. On either of my machines, I run well above 70fps with everything maxed, unless I goto a really crowded area (50+ people). Now, my older 3rd machine which is an older Athlon XP, 2GB PC3200 with 9800Pro, can't even crack 20fps on the same settings. Too bad I rarely play that game anymore. Making 3 lvl 50 characters in two months was too boring and too easy.

Onto the point of the thread, yes it does seem like I bought my first 6 series card yesterday. Like Magus, I too have my receipt, 7/22/04 @ 2:58pm. Took off work early and everything to go grab one. The store I bought from called me about 2:30 and said "We just got 2 BFG6800U OCs in on the truck at lunch. If you want to purchase one, we'll hold it til 4pm". I went tear assing down the stairs, slid over the hood and peeled out of the parking lot. Got my card and went home happy.

FraGTastiK
06-15-05, 02:05 PM
thats how technology rolls these days gotta keep up with it.GF7 time already!

I can still feel the excitement of having a GF6 in me everytime I launch a game at highres with high aa/af,something that you had to dream about before Geforce 6 series.

btw it is/was disgusting to see some people trying to ruin the thunder of a yet unreleased(that is unbenched) product with just two sentences based on no real facts.

every new GPU has as many as 500 engineers working on it at the peak of its developement so one must bear that in mind when criticizing it,specially with no real facts.

newls1
06-15-05, 02:54 PM
I hate to see my 6800ULTRA SLI setup not be the "BEST" or "top-of-the-line" anymore, I spent $1100.00 on this setup, now with the release of the 7800 line, these 6800U's are "MAINSTREAM" line now.

j0j081
06-15-05, 07:20 PM
I bought my 6800gt just before the holidays so this is way too early for me both money and performance wise to upgrade. All the newest games I play run beyond excellent @1280X1024 w/4 aa and 8 af. Before this card I had a 9600xt which got 8 months or so of use out of it. When buying my current card I decided I should get something to last longer (not midrange) so I went as all out as I could with the 6800gt. My Zalman vf700 just came in the mail today which I feel will make my card even better. I am betting this card will last at least another year maybe not at the same settings I play at today but a hell of a lot better than the average gamer will ever experience. I play games online a lot and hardly ever hear of someone with a better card then me. Sites like nvnews although great often have the bad side effect of making people feel their hardware is out of date but remember the people you talk with here are on the cutting edge. I love my 6800 series card and will most definitely not be upgrading anytime soon but if you are have fun, I will surely be reading about it soon!

MustangSVT
06-15-05, 10:29 PM
I got my 6800GT in early September last year. It still feels like yesterday, I don't know why. Like I still get that feeling of "big kid on the block". I had the same thing when I got my GF4 Ti4200 in summer 2002. Nobody that I know at school has yet to match me and my overclocked Athlon XP and 6800GT. There is one guy who I helped build his comp, he's got P4 3.0 and 1gb ddr2 and I got him to buy an x800xt pci-e in fall last year, like a month or two after I bought mine, but he doesn't game as much as me.

john19055
06-15-05, 11:04 PM
My 6800ultra is going to have to hold me over for awhile ,I wait till the G70 have been out for a while and see what ATI comes out with.

j0j081
06-16-05, 01:14 AM
My 6800ultra is going to have to hold me over for awhile ,I wait till the G70 have been out for a while and see what ATI comes out with.
I think even if you are gonna upgrade to a 7800 or ATI equiv it's better to wait at least a couple months after the release for various reasons.

Kamel
06-16-05, 01:30 AM

yea, that's very true... the popularity of the 9800 series was overwhelming, some of that still seeps through the cracks today, and a ton actually for the (believe it or not) largest portion of people who reccomend graphics cards that are like 3 generations behind.

the biggest thing is money. it's unbelievable how many kids will have to save up for like 5 months just to buy a $50 video card, and after all of that, if they don't see an outstanding performance increase, they are pissed.

it may surprise some people here, as they are either old enough to pay for it themselves, are such enthusiasts that even their 2yo son has a 6600gt in his rig, or are young and are easily able to afford graphics technology.

bar-none, this is one of the reasons why halflife is still the largest online gaming community on the internet right now. everything can play halflife, and i don't mean everything as in, that which can play quake3, but i mean like a 200mhz cyrix with 64mb of ram and a video card so crappy that it's forced to play in software mode. yep, like to believe it or not, but 99% of kids i'd say play games depending on what their computer is capible of playing, as opposed to how much they enjoy the game.

lol, i'm sure most people knew that, but oh well *gets off soap box*

subbo
06-16-05, 07:18 PM
In my mind the G70 series doesnt exist until it comes in AGP flavour. Just my way of self-suggestion I suppose but also true, as I am not looking to upgrade to pci-e for at least another year (my major components have to be 2.5 years old before I can upgrade, for tax deduction reasons).

holmes
06-16-05, 08:46 PM
I'm pretty happy with what I've got right now... I'll wait to see if Quake4 or Prey bring my current system to its knees...
:)

wheeljack12
06-16-05, 09:23 PM
All I can say there better not a be long waiting paper launch as they did with the 6800's and ati's x800 series last year.

saberz
06-16-05, 11:06 PM
Happy with my BFG 6800 GT OC and plan on riding it through till I can't play games @ 1024x768 with full settings.

Right now I play all my games 1280x1024 with details super high and pull EASY 60+ frames, BF2 runs 70-99fps depending on action.

CPU and Mobo i'll probably swap out in the next 6 months with Dual Cores are less expensive.

G70 and R520 while impressive is something I will have to pass on for 2 reasons.

1. Like others in this thread I had a mid-range card(9500 Pro) which lasted me 2 years(passed onto a friend and he's loving it) and felt like I needed something that would hold me out for 2-3 years which this card feels like it will do. Hell if anything if its needed I'll buy after this next generation.

2. Plays all the games for now at what I want them to be at, so a new purchase isn't warranted. This next generation will definetly be great for those running 4200's, FX line and 9700's if the need is there for them. Can't go wrong with either company at this point since they both produced/producing high quality products which are only improving with each driver release :)

trenzterra
06-16-05, 11:27 PM
I hate to see my 6800ULTRA SLI setup not be the "BEST" or "top-of-the-line" anymore, I spent $1100.00 on this setup, now with the release of the 7800 line, these 6800U's are "MAINSTREAM" line now.
Meh, then my mainstream Galaxy 6600GT would be obsolete.

And I just bought the card in April.

I seriously hope that they make an AGP port for the G70, my Socket 754 will tide me over till S1207..