PDA

View Full Version : BF2, 6800, nv4_disp, stuttering and crashing

pduan87
06-16-05, 12:21 AM
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS F****** PROBLEM?!?!

I have tried just about every god damn fix and this still happens. I have a:
BFG 6800OC (non-overclocked)
dual 2400+ MP
K7D Master-L
2x 80 gig HD's
1 gig Crucial ECC
450 watt PSU

Whenever I play BF2, and BF2 only, the game will stutter at random times. Sometimes the stuttering will fix itself, othertimes it will blue screen telling me that the f***** NV4_disp has crashed cause of a damn infinite loop. I am using the driver's that came with BF2 and every fix has not worked for me.

I have tried lowering pci latency, turned off fast writes, installed a "patch" that closed some memory hole (R55?), ran Memtest to make sure it wasn't the ram, and just about everything else. STILL NO FIX. Could it be my rails?

My 5v is 4.76 and my 12 is 12.04. Although my 5v is a bit low, it shouldn't result in random crashes.

Oh yea, everything else works fine. CSS, 3dMark, etc. I'm ready to throw this piece of **** 6800OC out the window if it keeps on doing this.

Please someone help me, thanks.

PS. I read the long thread at the top and I did most of those fixes with no avail :(

Russ_64
06-16-05, 07:09 AM
Did you update your drivers ? I believe that 77.30 is included with BF2 demo and there is a newer 77.50 available. 77.62 just appeared but for G70 ?

Have downloaded BF2 Demo - now waiting for my 6800GT - tonight hopefully !

Subtestube
06-16-05, 08:38 AM
Just a thought - I notice you've got a dual proc system there - any chance that's the cause? I mean, I can't think why it would be case, but sometimes software has problems when it hasn't been adequately tested on multiple processor systems.

pduan87
06-16-05, 12:52 PM
Hm... switched back to the 66.81 and they seem to help a bit. I can play much longer but it still eventually ends in a crash... Is it so much to just ask for a card that runs BF2 fast and stable?

Acid Rain
06-16-05, 03:28 PM
Is it so much to just ask for a card that runs BF2 fast and stable?No, it's not too much to ask, especially if you use the drivers that came with BF2. Most have few if any problems using these drivers, besides not having enough ram. BF2 is a total ram hog.

Also, as was stated, sometimes people run into issues that no one else does when running dual proc systems. I've seen this quite a bit. I know you said it's just BF2, but dual chipage may still be causing this, for some reason.

pduan87
06-16-05, 03:39 PM
I did use the drivers that came with BF2 and it was horrible. I'm getting better results with the 66.81.

Aurthus
06-16-05, 03:41 PM
I'm having no problems with either system in my sig and bf2. I did however have to install the included drivers to fix the nasty shodows. did you install vid card drivers from the demo when it asked if you wanted to? I didn't. I suggest uninstalling the drivers and using Driver cleaner then installing the new ones. worked fine here and 1 gig ram is working just fine.. no stutters or anything.

I did have 10 second freezes with sound looping on my machine but fixed that by turning fastwrites off. you should try that also (if ur FW is on). my machine would pull out of the freeze and play again.. maybe yours isn't pulling out and just crashing.

pduan87
06-16-05, 10:01 PM
God dammit, 66.81 will run better than the 77.xx (ones that came with BF2) but will still result in an eventual crash. WHAT THE **** DO I NEED TO DO TO JUST BE ABLE TO PLAY BF2?!?!?!

This is really some bull**** nvidia is pulling on us. Why do all of their god damn 6800's stutter and crash?

OWA
06-16-05, 10:13 PM
Maybe try reinstalling the demo if you haven't already or download it from somewhere else. Maybe it's a corrupt download. I've seen people with ATI and nvidia cards complain of some stutter but I don't think I've seen many people getting BSODs. It's also really weird that older drivers seem to work better for you since most are getting good results with the 77.30s that are included with the demo.

saberz
06-16-05, 10:56 PM
God dammit, 66.81 will run better than the 77.xx (ones that came with BF2) but will still result in an eventual crash. WHAT THE **** DO I NEED TO DO TO JUST BE ABLE TO PLAY BF2?!?!?!

This is really some bull**** nvidia is pulling on us. Why do all of their god damn 6800's stutter and crash?

Not all of them stutter and crash.

77.30s work fine for me, 71.89s gave shadow bugs.

Are you OCing the video card? Some games much like Doom3 stress the GPU in ways other games dont and could cause the card to heat up quick causing it to throttle :/

pduan87
06-16-05, 11:26 PM
No, the card is at stock. This pisses me off so much...

Arto*
06-17-05, 01:16 AM
i had the same problem, with the blue screen and everything, theres 2 things you can do.1 try dling the 77.62 driver (it should work fine) or 2 just wait for the game to come out and thats when the offcial drivers will come out, dont worry its not your card, its just the driver.

most of these drivers work differently for each card, like for me the 77.30 and the 77.50 kept crashing, just try the 77.62

download here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52047

aZn_plyR
06-17-05, 01:42 AM
runs fine on my 6800 ultra, well better than fine actually :)

anyways....

fastwrites=OFF

agp 4x instead of 8x, should do it. (no performance hit btw)
and O yah, make sure you dont have the BF2's video texture on HIGH, Medium is the most I would go on that 6800NU, I use MEDIUM until I can get another stick of ram.

try all these thrree things and tell me how it goes :) GL

pduan87
06-17-05, 02:12 AM
aZn, the sad thing is, I already did all 3 of those :(

At least the 66.81's have been better. I can play for a long time now and usually the only time it crashes is when I'm changing between ingame/menu or exiting the game. Since I'm going on vacation for a month starting tommorow, I don't have to worry about it until the real game comes out :)

criticalfish
06-17-05, 02:23 AM
i use 66.93 is 66.81 better? does it have the shadow problem too? if not why not use 66.93?

pduan87
06-17-05, 03:02 AM
Hmm I havent tried 66.93 yet.

Arto*
06-17-05, 08:00 PM
i getting the same problem too, it just crashes to my desktop i use to have the blue screen crash but that stopped , i tried all the drivers and non of them work

Milfeulle
06-18-05, 11:37 AM
Try to remove the drivers diligently using DriveCleaner which you can get here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Then, try the new 77.30 which runs nicely for most. Also, make sure you have all the newest updates and patches for BF2.

KBMavric
07-16-05, 10:40 AM
I have

G-Force 6800GT 256Mb
G-Froce Main Board Nforce3
2Gb Memory
WinXP Home

And i have same problems and have tried every driver out and it still happens but do u want to know somthing freeky it happend to be the same bloody thing when trying to play original BF1942 I think this is a big issue that they do not want to look in to at this time :(