PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 77.30 disables GPU fan throtteling

netrunnerxp
06-16-05, 05:01 AM
Hi @ all :-),

that's my first post here, nice board, lots of technically experienced members around. Maybe someone has a hint how to solve the following problem:

I own a FX5900xt from Leadtek (TDH350 xt) with a NV Silencer3 mounted on the GPU the recieve more OC potential. Card is running very fine. But after installing the required Forceware Update (77.30) included in the BF2 demo, the thermal management does not work anymore. The fan does not decrease its RPM when working in 2D Mode. Now it turns at full speed (3D Mode), and starts to make me insane. Formerly i did not hear the card inside my machine while being in 2D Mode.... now :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: !!

I tried the 77.50 driver discussed here in the forum, no luck :( .
Any chance to get rid of the missing RPM stepping, without downgrading the drivers :confused: ?

Thanx for helping,
best regards,
netrunnerxp

Superfly
06-16-05, 05:23 AM
Welcome mate,

you could use a 3rd party app like speed fan to set your fan speeds.

macatak
06-16-05, 05:32 AM
I wonder if a BIOS update would fix your problem ??

Superfly
06-16-05, 05:40 AM
VGA bios??

maybe, although flashing a card just because of fan noise is risky and I would'nt want to be the one to advise it.

netrunnerxp
06-16-05, 06:00 AM
Wow, that was fast :D ! Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately the card is running with the latest bios available from the manufacturer. I will try Speed Fan later this day and report the efforts....

macatak
06-16-05, 06:14 AM
Have you tried re-installing the previous driver to see if the problem persists ?

netrunnerxp
06-16-05, 06:18 AM
..later this day :D

Damn, I would actually have had to know this. I tried Speed Fan, but on my Dell/Intel mobo it cant read/adjust anything related to the fans.
Seems i have to do without FW 77.xx & BF2 :mad: .

@ macatak: with the latest official Nvidia driver, the fan is throtteling again as supposed.

Thanx so far, i'll remain working on it.

macatak
06-16-05, 07:01 AM
Some talk going around about an official driver with the BF2 shadow fix being released in the near future... BF2 FAQ (http://pc.ign.com/articles/625/625776p1.html)

ps, probably the driver to go with the G70 release

SirJpg
06-16-05, 05:13 PM
Ive got my 5900s fan atached to my hardcano ^^

SLippe
06-16-05, 06:48 PM
^^^ Your avatar scares me.

monkeydust
06-16-05, 07:12 PM
How do you enable fan throttling? I have never seen such a setting in the drivers. I would like the fans to not be so loud when I am just surfing the web.

OWA
06-16-05, 07:41 PM
You could try gainwards expertool. It allows you to change the fan speeds for 2D/3D. It apparently works with most cards.

monkeydust
06-16-05, 07:48 PM
Doesn't look like expertool is going to work for me (just tried it).

I would like a program to throttle down speeds of both the CPU and GPU fans. I tried Speedfan but it doesn't seem to allow me to throttle down my fan speed.

Any other software I can use? (sorry for the thread hijack)

OWA
06-16-05, 10:48 PM
What version was it? I wonder if it didn't work b/c your card is PCI-e. Doesn't seem like that should matter all that much though.

monkeydust
06-17-05, 05:11 AM
Version 4.24 (the latest official I believe).

Fan 1 shows 2679 RPM with a temp of 38 celcius. Speed01 shows 0%. It won't let me take it any lower than that. When I set it to a higher percent, it doesn't change the RPM's upward either.

EDIT: Ok, I enabled Q-Fan in my mobo BIOS and things are looking better now. It seems that Speedfan now works.

netrunnerxp
06-17-05, 05:33 AM
Hey monkeydust,

same problems here. Fan cannot be controlled with the "Expert".
Hope that the official driver will enable the "build-in" throtteling feature of my card again.

Oh .. did not notice your edit. Seems that i have to do single player in the fan vs. human match :rolleyes:

subbo
06-17-05, 03:29 PM
Does this affect reference fans too? I could swear my bros 68ultra did slow down the fan after a game with the 77.30.

OWA
06-17-05, 07:03 PM
Does this affect reference fans too? I could swear my bros 68ultra did slow down the fan after a game with the 77.30.
It works fine for me and I have the reference fan.

subbo
06-17-05, 07:34 PM
Good thanks, my bro has the MSI reference ultra that I just set up for him this week just so he can play BF2 and the driver is required.