PDA

View Full Version : nForce Soundstorm vs Audigy

HexiumVII
12-15-02, 09:56 PM
So which is is better? I think most ppl agree that realtech chips used for decoding isn't that great, so what about performance? I hear half saying that soundstorm uses half the CPU of an Audigy, and vice versa. Which is it?

netviper13
12-15-02, 10:01 PM
Soundstorm, when used, simply encodes data into a 5.1 stream, it really has nothing else to do with the audio. Everything else is handled by the normal southbridge via either AC97 or the realtek codecs. From the benchmarks I've seen, the nForce onboard sound has a less or equal performance hit as the Audigy, plus it's always going to have a faster interface with the other components because it's attached via HyperTransport whereas Audigy is attached via the PCI bus.

StealthHawk
12-16-02, 01:17 AM
how about compared to Audigy 2? Audigy 2 has significantly lower CPU utilization than Audigy 1 or any other consumer PCI sound card i've seen in benchmarks.

-=DVS=-
12-16-02, 03:07 AM
Don't forget Creative labs invented
EAX so in games it will always run smoother on Soublaster cards --> Audigy 2 then on competitors , but if you have Nforce 2 and need to save some cash you can aswell use yuor onboard sound :rolleyes:

StealthHawk
12-16-02, 04:53 AM
hey EAX2 is a good thing. more games should use it. and i don't even have an Audigy 2...yet. i'm definitely not paying $100-$130 while my SBLive still works fine.

i'll probbaly just use integrated audio if stick with AMD in my next computer. but if i go Intel Audigy 2 will probably be where it is.

Namarrgon
12-16-02, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by netviper13
Soundstorm, when used, simply encodes data into a 5.1 stream, it really has nothing else to do with the audio. Everything else is handled by the normal southbridge via either AC97 or the realtek codecs.

Actually, the MCP also handles any sound processing via its built-in DPSs - 3D HRTFs, EAX, reverb, sample rate conversion and digital mixing, in addition to the Dolby 5.1 encoding. The Realtek/CMedia chip just does the digital->analog conversion.

I've been very happy with my nForce2 sound - analog quality is miles better than the Live! I was using before, and the S/PDIF out is considerably more flexible.

Smokey
12-17-02, 05:33 AM
Im still yet to hear any onboard sound that gives as much bass as my Live card in games, does the n-Force give a good amount of bass in games and music?

skipparoo
12-17-02, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
Im still yet to hear any onboard sound that gives as much bass as my Live card in games, does the n-Force give a good amount of bass in games and music?

Yes, and especially now because of the new nForce Control Panel and 2.00 drivers. You can enable the Equalizer and set many different Presets, including ones where deep bass is used. I think the sound quality of nVIDIA's nForce is unmatched by any other. Creative has met its match. I currently own an nForce and will be upgrading to the ASUS nForce2 soon.. ;p

-Skippy

ReDeeMeR
12-17-02, 10:35 AM
Dont forget EAX3(EAX HD)... it really rocks when game supports it properly and Audigy-Audigy2 are the only cards to support it.

As for cpu usage, do you guys have any benchies to back your statements or it's just a blah-job? :)

Smokey
12-17-02, 12:52 PM
Well the onboard sound kinda sux on my MB, so I would like to upgrade to a Audigy2 later on as I can use 333FSB cpus with my motherboard, no need to upgrade that ;)

Mike89
12-17-02, 08:02 PM
Well that's good news to hear the Nforce 2 SoundStorm is a good thing. I just ordered the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and one of the reasons was for the sound. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to chuck the sound card and have the motherboard do it all if there was no sacrafice in sound.

That has been my biggest complaint in all the reviews I have read on the Nforce2. Seems the reviewers don't want to spend any significant amount of time talking about how good the sound actually is. I would have liked to have seen a reviewer treat the sound as a separate review within the review, comparing it to existing sound cards in games, music, etc.

So any Asus Nforce2 owners out there. How do you like it? I'll post something on it as soon as I get mine and have a chance to check it out.

Geffy
02-09-03, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Mike89
So any Asus Nforce2 owners out there. How do you like it? I'll post something on it as soon as I get mine and have a chance to check it out.
Never use it, but I have heard that it is good

SavagePaladin
02-09-03, 12:17 PM
I have an nforce1, and I love the sound.
I'm looking to get better dolby digital speakers later for it.

nforce2 is supposedly the same APU but with some bugfixes...which would be good by me.

Supposedly the Hammer nForce will have a new audio chip, but I don't know.

HexiumVII
02-09-03, 03:17 PM
well i tested both for a while and must say all those software enhancements in the soundstorm make it sound pretty good with music. But i installed Audigy 2 drivers in my Audigy 1 and WOW its awesome for games, way better positioning, like in Raven Shield, you can hear the guy coming before you shoot him!

Nephilim
02-09-03, 08:39 PM
Don't forget that speakers make a big difference too.

I was using an Audigy for a while with my Z-680 speakers and it sounded alright. The surround was okay, but I couldn't get the dolby digital to kick in.

So I thought I'd take it out and give the soundstorm a try. I'm glad I did. The surround seems a lot mor defined now, and the speakers indicate dolby digital ALL the time. The features in the control panel offer a lot of tweakability and the bass is superb and the LFE channel frequency is adjustable so if I want it boomier or punchier, I can make it so.

HexiumVII
02-09-03, 08:50 PM
audigy 1 drivers really suck, you have to put audigy 2 drivers. For games Audigy1/2 rules. With the right adjustments, the soundstorm can sound better than audigy for music. movies are kinda a toss up.

Nephilim
02-09-03, 09:08 PM
I don't know. I think the soundstorm sounds better in everything than my audigy.

Besides. I'm tired of Creative Labs' drivers full of ass.

Creative Labs' drivers = teh suck.

Tactics
02-10-03, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by HexiumVII
audigy 1 drivers really suck, you have to put audigy 2 drivers. For games Audigy1/2 rules. With the right adjustments, the soundstorm can sound better than audigy for music. movies are kinda a toss up.

What OS are you running? It must be XP since I think if I install the Aug.2 drivers on my Aug.1 i'm fooked.

I just got the cd in with the "new released drivers" from creative. I still have yet to find out what the difference is from the ones on Creatives site. Anyone know BTW?

Geffy
02-12-03, 05:37 AM
I while back (few months) I got the Creative MDP CD and that was a real big improvement over the original Audigy drivers.

Also if you put the MDP drivers on a Win9x system then it will install the WDM drivers instead of the real crappy VXDs.

The WDMs have better memory control and can be reenabled (ie standby and hibernate) VXDs are a bit more mem hungry.

StuRReaL
02-14-03, 05:06 PM
EAX (pah)

EAX has only become good since creative annihilated Aureal and intergrated the vastly superior A3D sound rendering code into EAX

This is why EAX HD actully sound good, before EAX would just add reverb now it does 3D thanx to A3D.

Bloody creative, can't do anything right so they topple their rivals PUSSYS