PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Toss3
06-16-05, 03:31 PM
Hi, I was just wondering which of the following I should update first. My comp isn't running stable at all anymore with my oc's so I thought it was time for some upgrading!

Okey, I'm currently running on a P4 @ 2,4Ghz(533mhz fsb), which is kindah slow and it slows down my graphicscard(6800Gt), so I was thinking about getting a P4 @ 3,2Ghz(800Mhz fsb). Sidenote: I intend on overclocking it(I'll try to come as close to 4ghz as possible). But then again I only have a 350w PSU, which I don't think will be enough for my comp if I ought to change my CPU(and overclock it). I was thinking about an antec true blue 480w or an antec smart power 2.0 @ 400-500w(not sure if 400w would be enough, cuz' I have a lot of components in my computer).
The games I currently play, and will be playing, are: Bf2, CS 1.6 & Source, GTA: SA, Doom3, Swat4 and Dawn of War (+ future games such as quake 4 etc.). So this got me thinking that maybe I don't need to upgrade to play those games at decent settings, but Bf2 is definitely not running well(stuttering and low fps in some places). The other games run OK at 1280x1024(TFT) + 4xAA and 8xAF. Bf2 really eats up your RAM and the screens shown of quake 4 show that some of the maps will be very big(and open, like those in Bf2), which would require at least another 1Gb of memory(I have 1Gb already).

So which of the following would be the smartest to upgrade(I don't have a lot of money, but one can always save some), a new CPU, a new PSU or another GB of ram, or should I save money and update everything? :confused:

Kojiro
06-20-05, 03:48 AM
Viruses and spyware can slow down even the fastest of PCs. scan your computer. defragment all drives. Usualy brings slow comps back to life.

Overclocking can cause a lot of stability issues, and even damage the CPU.

There are other more effective ways to boost speed. Maintanence is good.
like registry mechanic. Turning off unessasary apps and services. Updating drivers. Some video drivers can boost performance up 20+% in some cases. That is way more performance than just bumping up clockspeed.

A 2.2Ghz Athlon XP or 64 can tango with even the fastest intel, because they know that clock speed is not the basis for performance, but a tool that helps.

Toss3
06-20-05, 03:23 PM
Viruses and spyware can slow down even the fastest of PCs. scan your computer. defragment all drives. Usualy brings slow comps back to life.

Overclocking can cause a lot of stability issues, and even damage the CPU.

There are other more effective ways to boost speed. Maintanence is good.
like registry mechanic. Turning off unessasary apps and services. Updating drivers. Some video drivers can boost performance up 20+% in some cases. That is way more performance than just bumping up clockspeed.

A 2.2Ghz Athlon XP or 64 can tango with even the fastest intel, because they know that clock speed is not the basis for performance, but a tool that helps.

Thanks for the reply :)

I know, I know I should have gone AMD, but I didn't have the money at the time when I bought my new mobo :-/ (my last one died and I bought a new one that had support for my cpu). And I don't intend on spending a lot of money on my computer cuz' I don't play that often anymore. So that's why I thought about an Intel 3,2Ghz with an 800mhz fsb; it's cheap and it'll do until I buy a whole new system in a couple of years.

I checked everything and I don't have any viruses or spyware on my computer for the time being. So that's not the problem and I defragmented my hard drive a couple of days ago.

But this leads me to another question: How much does the quality of your RAM effect the game performance of your computer?

and I'm still not sure which part I should upgrade...