PDA

View Full Version : New Rig! Any good?

JediDrew
06-17-05, 05:18 AM
So...

I took a hit in the savings and someone paid me back some dough they owed me. I just purchased my upgrade.

Amd 3700+ San Diego
160GB Sata Hitachi Drive
Evga 6600GT
MSI Neo 4 Platinum Mobo
Enermax 565W Power Supply
and
Corsair XMS Memory (2 sticks of 512)

I am upgrading from a..

2500+ Barton
80GB IDE Hard Drive
512MB of Geil Value Memory
Abit NF7-S Rev. 2.0 Mobo
and
Geforce 2 MX100

My question is how big of a difference will I see? Im like a kid waiting for Santa and I dont care to be suprised when it gets here. I plan to oc the CPU to 4000+ when it gets here. Im not rich cause im about to go back to school so I chose a 6600GT over a better card.

So what do you think of my rig?

Thanks in advance.

gram_vaz
06-17-05, 05:23 AM
you'll see quite the difference in gaming. looks like your going to have lots of fun with your new rig. :)

Riptide
06-17-05, 08:31 AM
Oh yeah that will be a major performance increase. Games especially.

einstein_314
06-17-05, 10:59 AM
umm, I'd say there will be HUGE increase in performance. Expecially in games, GF2 MX100 -> 6600GT = 20x performance increase? I'm guessing at that. I expect that you will be very happy with it and you will be suprised, but in a good way.

zoomy942
06-17-05, 11:24 AM
be ready for your face to melt into a gooey mess.

the beauty that games will show will mezmerize you.

:)

JediDrew
06-17-05, 11:27 PM
I hope so. No offense to Intel lovers but my mother just bought a 3.0GHZ rig yesterday. (after some brain games from me)

Turns out the intel was SOOOOO much slower then even my 2500+ barton. I made her take it back today and swap it out with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and its amazing fast! Only dissapointment is the HD is a little loud.

I cant wait for me rig. Its driving me nuts and I didn't get much sleep last night. :p

Tr1cK
06-17-05, 11:35 PM
I hope so. No offense to Intel lovers but my mother just bought a 3.0GHZ rig yesterday. (after some brain games from me)

Turns out the intel was SOOOOO much slower then even my 2500+ barton. I made her take it back today and swap it out with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and its amazing fast! Only dissapointment is the HD is a little loud.

I cant wait for me rig. Its driving me nuts and I didn't get much sleep last night. :p

HE HAS SEEN THE LIGHT ALREADY!

CaptNKILL
06-17-05, 11:39 PM
Man, an MX100??? Thats about as slow as they come :eek:

When I got my 6800GT, I had just lost my 9600 Pro so I was using an MX200 PCI 32mb. Talk about a major improvement... YEEESH. Yours is going to be quite huge as well. There really isnt even any way to compair the two systems because your MX100 probably isnt even supported by most of the games that a 6600GT will run smoothly.

And welcome to the Athlon 64 club, they are GOD in chip form, you wont be disapointed :D

gram_vaz
06-18-05, 12:35 AM

does your mother game? 'cause if she doesn't it doesn't matter wether she has an intel or amd...

jAkUp
06-18-05, 12:38 AM
What? THe P4 will stomp all over that 2500+ Barton. As a matter of fact, I think my 3.7GHz P4 was faster than my 3500+ in everything but gaming.

Now, mind you, everything I do is game, so it works out for me ;)

JediDrew
06-18-05, 12:58 AM
What? THe P4 will stomp all over that 2500+ Barton. As a matter of fact, I think my 3.7GHz P4 was faster than my 3500+ in everything but gaming.

Now, mind you, everything I do is game, so it works out for me ;)
Well see I would believe you but I don't. Maybe its cause this P4 didnt have HT. The guy said it did even though it didnt (I wasnt able to see till I got home). I on the other hand will custom build my rig.

My mother doesnt do heavy gaming. Just sims and the sort.

Im truly going to stick with amd for now! So far its never let me down!

nIghtorius
06-18-05, 05:29 AM
Well see I would believe you but I don't. Maybe its cause this P4 didnt have HT. The guy said it did even though it didnt (I wasnt able to see till I got home). I on the other hand will custom build my rig.

My mother doesnt do heavy gaming. Just sims and the sort.

Im truly going to stick with amd for now! So far its never let me down!

And "The Sims 2" really favors AMD Athlon64 cpu's.. go google for some benches :angel:

gram_vaz
06-18-05, 06:18 AM
haha, for someone that doesn't game much a p4 3ghz is more than enough. that's just a classic case of fanboism.

as for ht you should have checked in the bios. i believe it has to be enabled by the user sometimes or i think a patch has to be installed to be able to use ht in windows. did you even check cpu-z? even if it didn't have ht, so what? would your mom ever have run an app that made use of it?

JediDrew
06-18-05, 06:38 AM
Yup. Checked bios and all. No sign of anything in manual either. The sticker is a regular P4 sticker. Im told this is what sets it apart. Anyways. The 3200+ rules. Call it fanboism if you want but ive never been happier.

Ninjaman09
06-18-05, 07:52 AM
haha, for someone that doesn't game much a p4 3ghz is more than enough. that's just a classic case of fanboism.

as for ht you should have checked in the bios. i believe it has to be enabled by the user sometimes or i think a patch has to be installed to be able to use ht in windows. did you even check cpu-z? even if it didn't have ht, so what? would your mom ever have run an app that made use of it?
Hell, a P4 3.0 will give awesome gaming performance either way. Sure, an A64 will be like 5-10fps higher (depending on the game) but it's really not a gigantic deal.

Riptide
06-18-05, 08:08 AM
I want to see some reviews here. I like AMD as much as the next guy but I'm having a hard time believing a 3500+ owns a 3.7GHz P4 in games. Proof please.

Case in point. I upgraded from my 3.0C to an FX53. FarCry was faster, but we're talking about an increase in min. frame rates of around 3-4fps. That's it. This was on the carrier level and I did extensive testing there in a CPU limited area of the map. So please, someone show me the proof.

Kojiro
06-20-05, 02:16 AM

As if she would need a A64 3200+. :rolleyes: The only thing dirtyer than that was my brother's K mart story where an old lady said that her grandaughter tolder her that she needed an Xbox to hook her VCR to the TV :rolf:

gram_vaz
06-20-05, 02:33 AM
As if she would need a A64 3200+. :rolleyes: The only thing dirtyer than that was my brother's K mart story where an old lady said that her grandaughter tolder her that she needed an Xbox to hook her VCR to the TV :rolf:
lol, i once told my mom that the cheapest dvd player on the market was a ps2. couple days later i was gaming gran turismo 3. :angel:

Ninjaman09
06-20-05, 01:45 PM
I want to see some reviews here. I like AMD as much as the next guy but I'm having a hard time believing a 3500+ owns a 3.7GHz P4 in games. Proof please.

Case in point. I upgraded from my 3.0C to an FX53. FarCry was faster, but we're talking about an increase in min. frame rates of around 3-4fps. That's it. This was on the carrier level and I did extensive testing there in a CPU limited area of the map. So please, someone show me the proof.
I don't have the numbers with me but when I had my Prescott I O/C'd it to 3.8GHz and my 3500+ outperformed it at stock by a noticable margin. I was very surprised (and pleased).

nVestor
06-20-05, 02:37 PM
Last I checked, a Xtreme Edition had L1, L2 and L3 cache while a Prescott just had L1 and L2. Also, the only 3.7 I've seen is the 3.73Ghz P4 Extreme Edition that apparently is comparable to a A64 3400+ according to AnandTech - http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=9

Though I have seen it mentioned that the drop in minimum fps is alot less with a AMD 64 vs. and Intel P4. I'm interested in seeing this myself for sure though, so I can't wait to upgrade. :)