PDA

View Full Version : new dfi sli-dr bios update

wheeljack12
06-17-05, 12:05 PM
For those with the sli-dr motherboards, they just made the update for those wanting to go dual core cpu. And it's a final bios, not beta. It's dated june 15, 2005.

Here is what I have seen updated/fixed:
-PS/2 Mouse detection fixed- I had a problem where if didn't have my com port turned on, I would get freezing when internet browsing. Seems this was most likely the problem as I can turn off the com port .
-AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core cpu support- if you don't have dual core cpu, your single core is now detected as cpu 0.
-Nvidia Raid version was updated from 4.81 to 4.84
-A new addition to the advanced chipset features, sli broadcast aperture. The weird thing is unlike agp apertures where you set a number, it only has enable and disable.
-New version of NVMM- shows this on the post. looks to be dated may 20,2005
-Properly shows detection of Silicon Image SATA drives (raid, non raid)when a USB flash drive is plugged into the system during a post. Before in the old bios, I could only see vendor ids of the devices flash on the screen and not the actual detection.
-Shows Silicon Image sata drives as bootable devices in the bios. Before no matter if I had any drives in raid or sata mode, you couldn't make them boot devices as the bios would not detect them as such.

Here are the new problems I found:
-USB flash drives are no longer detected as boot drives in the bios although you can use them in OS,windows XP in this case. Tried changing ports to see if this was a port thing. Going to contacting DFI to see what I can do about this or they need a new bios fix.
-Although silicon image sata drives are detected in the bios, the pc freezes when using one as a boot drive or says it not a bootable drive, please insert disk message.

jAkUp
06-17-05, 01:34 PM
Sweet! Thanks updating now... :D

jAkUp
06-17-05, 02:11 PM
I'm having problems now :(

My USB Floppy drive will no longer read as a boot device.

Also, when I enable "USB keyboard" my keyboard and mouse no longer works at all! Not even in windows. And I can't seem to get my USB keyboard to even get myself into the BIOS!

wheeljack12
06-17-05, 02:51 PM
no crap, my usb flash drive and usb external writer are no longer boot devices. Seems they got one thing fixed with the post screens but now I can't use either to boot from. And since I had to move my writers to the silicon image controller (got the machine_exception BSOD errors when they were on the nforce 4 controller along with my sata 2 raid. was on the net, seems it's a known issue) and the bios won't allow Sil image to boot either, I am stuck going back or finding what DFI did or can do. Jakup, do you at least have a PS/2 keyboard to borrow to get that back to the old bios?

jAkUp
06-17-05, 03:20 PM
Yes, I'm using a PS2 keyboard now..

are you using a USB keyboard also? Can you reproduce the problems I am having? Setting the Legacy USB Keyboard in the BIOS causes the Keyboard and mouse to completely not work.

wheeljack12
06-17-05, 05:26 PM
I have always used a PS/2 keyboard. Do you mean having the setting enabled even with a PS/2 keyboard plugged didn't fix the problem? I am referring to you having to clear the cmos because of that I mean. Anyhow, have you had any progress in getting a USB boot drive working yet? Also, what the heck is that nvidia 10x video card thingy your girly has in her hands?

wheeljack12
06-17-05, 06:13 PM
jakup, just got off the phone with DFI tech support. They told me to roll back the BIOS to march 10,2005 or earlier (meaning the last one that worked for me). Seems it's a new issue for them.

jAkUp
06-17-05, 07:31 PM
Lol that is a photochop that she has :)

Anyways, I have had 0 luck getting a USB device to boot... its not too critical I guess, the next time I flash I will just have to find a regular floppy drive :(

wheeljack12
06-17-05, 07:41 PM
anyhow, I also emailed DFI. They are forwarding my email I sent to the taiwan DFI bosses. Says they might need a new bios,DUH? Let me guess, external USB floppy, right. I was always curious if you could use those for the F6 SCSI/Raid driver during a windows OS load?

jAkUp
06-17-05, 11:46 PM
Yes you can, but you have to hand pick the floppy. I went through 3 drives before I found one that works for the RAID drivers.

Kamel
06-17-05, 11:51 PM
jakup, you can flash your dfi bios with a bootable cd...

if you want i'll look up the link, it's on their forums somewhere hidden deep within the crevises, lol (i had to do that before).

wheeljack12
06-18-05, 09:19 PM
what do you mean by hand pick the floppy jakup? Do you mean choose the right brand name by chance? I was thinking of going that way some day by having the floppy removable if I could and any suggestions would help.

jAkUp
06-18-05, 10:41 PM
Only certain floppy drives work, I had to keep trying until I found one. Anyways, one of the one that works is called "Mad Dog" and I bought it at COMPUSA. The sony I tried did not work for raid, also the cheesy generic brand didn't work either

Dazz
06-19-05, 12:04 AM
Seems they have removed it from their site now, anyway it's not on the Global site. Nope it's not on the US site either.

wheeljack12
06-19-05, 12:44 PM
just checked the site, they took down the june 15,2005 one and put up a beta may 10th one that fixes tccd problems and the dual core support. Not touching until they get the USB working again. sorry Dazz, didn't read your whole post.