PDA

View Full Version : looking for a 6800gt waterblock

Kamel
06-17-05, 12:46 PM
i've already got a waterblock for the GPU, but i reallllly want one which will cover the ram too.

i'm pissed that all i see are ones that cost $100+ :'(, something HAS to be out there that's in the $50 range, especially since i've already got something for the core, i just need to find something for the ram itself (a water block for just ram would do perfectly)

i actually have the exact waterblock that's in the middle of this:
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=174
so, i could get the memory part of that and use it only with no problem. i really don't wanna spend $100 if half of it is going to what i already own =\. i have thought about just selling my old waterblock, but that's pretty inefficiant, i will have wasted like $20+ in the long run with that.

any suggestions you have are welcomed :)

ricercar
06-17-05, 02:05 PM
Koolance block for only AGP 6800 GT and Ultra (no 6800 vanilla, no PCI-E). Covers GPU + RAM for $44.
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=165

Don't let the 1/4" ID tubing frighten you. The flow volume and radiator effectiveness matter more than the tubing diameter. I have a Koolance 1/4" tubing set up with four waterblocks (CPU + NB + 2x GPU) and an Innovatek 3/8" ID tubing setup with two waterblocks (CPU + NB), and the Koolance delivers lower temps despite having more waterblocks in the loop.

sam375
06-18-05, 12:02 AM
RAMsinks + fan will do the trick... dont worry about the RAM it runs cool.

Kamel
06-18-05, 12:03 AM
you really think so? as in, i wouldn't be able to get much of an additional overclock using water vrs air?

sam375
06-18-05, 12:18 AM
you really think so? as in, i wouldn't be able to get much of an additional overclock using water vrs air?

The RAM itself runs very cool, the key is to reduce the ambient temp and heat from the core. I did 1220 with no extra RAM cooling at all, with load temps in the 40's. Focus most of your attention on the core cooling and higher RAM clocks will come as the ambient temp decreases. Also in general, the core oc is much more important to videocard performance.

Im going to run this setup on chilled watercooling tonight. My RAM oc should go up because my core temp will be around 10-15C.
http://img106.echo.cx/img106/4593/6800gtpolar6wz.jpg

FraGTastiK
06-18-05, 01:59 AM
what you say about ambient temp and ram OC makes sense sam,but these are 1.6ns afterall I think,they will have their limit when trying to OC.

btw is that 1/2" ID tubing on that waterblock?

@Kamel:are you happy with that koolance 1/4" ID block?how much can you OC your core?are you using that in a loop with cpu(and chipset)?

Kamel
06-18-05, 11:06 AM
yea, it will be in a loop with my cpu. i was going to watercool the northbridge at first, but after asking around i've heard that no one has any probs with the northbridge heat at all, just southbridge.

i've got active cooling on the southbridge, and it seems to be more than sufficiantly cooled... i would normally just watercool the southbridge, but it doesn't have any mounting holes.

i'm very impressed with my koolance setup, more so than i originally thought i would be (why don't they make these things with larger tubes? =\). i can run my cpu at 2.0vcore with no heat problems at all. the hottest it's ever gotten was 111F one time.

i haven't primed overnight to see how it does when the water gets warmed up, but my core doesn't benefit from anything past 1.85vcore anyway =\

edit: my cpu right now is running at 250x10, 1.85vcore. haven't tested for stability yet, i'm kinda sad about my cpu though, i don't think it can do anything better than this =\

FraGTastiK
06-18-05, 11:43 AM
cool,you're using this block (http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=104&osCsid=f5e1c5f23bac1b4f6642fddabf05f30c) aren't you

I was wondering about how your 6600 GT enjoys the block OC wise...
cuz for some funny reason I have to get 1/4" ID gpu block otherwise I would have embraced maze4.

I'm also thinking about leaving the nf3 chipset out of the loop.

I believe that for any non-sli mobo wich has got enough clearance between VGA and mobo chipset swiftech MCX159 (http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/heatsinks/swiftech/mcx159/) is teh way to go,looks like its really going to do the job and its sexy :-)

ricercar
06-18-05, 02:40 PM
The GPU-180-L06 block should perform perfectly fine on a 6800 GT even with overclocking.

For two years I've been using that Koolance GPU-180-L06 on a NV30, which dissipates 35W of heat, much more than a NV40. The NV30 got a 23% GPU overclock with the waterblock, compared to a 16% GPU OC with the stock 5800 non-U fansink.

FraGTastiK
06-18-05, 05:15 PM
The GPU-180-L06 block should perform perfectly fine on a 6800 GT even with overclocking.

For two years I've been using that Koolance GPU-180-L06 on a NV30, which dissipates 35W of heat, much more than a NV40. The NV30 got a 23% GPU overclock with the waterblock, compared to a 16% GPU OC with the stock 5800 non-U fansink.

good to hear that you've liked its performance.I'm gonna put it on a 6800 Ultra btw.should do fine probably not the best block for it but does its job.

I have a feeling that this is the same block as BFG used on their "6800 Ultra OC with water block",looks just the same.

(sorry couldnt find a bigger picture atm)